Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   2011 F-150 electric power steering (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1046845-2011-f-150-electric-power-steering.html)

riflecrank 03-05-2011 09:58 PM

2011 F-150 electric power steering

Got to love it.

Hybris 03-05-2011 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by riflecrank (Post 10057233)
Got to love it.

Uh... We didn't copy the last part of that message. Please Say Again... :-huh :-X15

n578md 03-06-2011 01:54 AM

He said: Passing one for four thousand, left turn zero three zero and contacting departure one twenty four point three, King Air eight Charlie Echo, so long.

2010 F-150 hydraulic power steering.

Got to love it.

FI50 03-06-2011 10:35 AM

Delta 68 heavy, cleared direct TOKUT, climb and maintain four one zero, maintain eight tree mach, contact Guayaquil one two eight decimal tree give estimate Monjas Sur .... Boeing hydraulic power control units, I love them.

But I guess even that's going electric on the 787.

After a very brief period of time the electric power steering makes the noise of the hydraulic system seem anachronistic. I'm undecided on whether I like the feel of the EPAS compared to the conventional rack in my 2004, but for efficiency reasons the EPAS is probably here to stay.

Arctic Fox 03-06-2011 01:18 PM

"electric power steering?" ...another one of those new features I am glad I will not have to take a chance on with my new 2011 6.2L Lariat on order.

Thankfully it does NOT come with the EPS but instead will have the conventional tried and tested hydraulic power steering.

Joe Rotax 03-07-2011 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by FI50 (Post 10058604)
I'm undecided on whether I like the feel of the EPAS ...

I read somewhere that it's very light particularly at highway speeds; is that correct ?

One of the things I like about my 2010 is how solid the steering feels.

640 CI Aluminum FORD 03-07-2011 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Rotax (Post 10062096)
I read somewhere that it's very light particularly at highway speeds; is that correct ?

One of the things I like about my 2010 is how solid the steering feels.

Its pretty light in general. I beleive it adjusts how it feels based upon how fast you are going.

tseekins 03-07-2011 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD (Post 10062159)
Its pretty light in general. I beleive it adjusts how it feels based upon how fast you are going.

You would be correct sir. It adjusts to road conditions, speeds and driver input.

While agree that it's another electronic device to possibly fail, i'm also pretty certain that the F-150 isn't the first vehicle on the planet to employ this seemingly new technology.

By the time Ford branded vehicles get goodies like this, Lincoln and or Ford of Europe vehicles have already been using them for years. I'm not concerned.

Arctic Fox 03-07-2011 07:28 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong because I am going on assumptions here, but is the F150 the first full size pickup truck to employ this technology - EPS? If so, that's really what makes it kind of experimental at this stage of the technology improvement game. Just my opinion.

snowdog79 03-07-2011 08:04 AM

What's to be scared of? EPS saves weight, fuel, and complexity. Many automakers, including Ford, have been using it for years with little to no reliability issues. BTW, Ford is the first truck maker to use a 12V EPS system. The GM hybrid pickups and SUVs use a 48V system. I still remember when hydraulic power steering systems would be trouble as vehicles aged, my how things have advanced!

jmmec 03-07-2011 08:31 AM

I like EPAS. From what I've read somewhere, it provides more assist during slow speeds, and not as much assist at higher speeds. It's very nice....

seminaryranger 03-07-2011 10:01 AM

I welcome the electric power steering.

It's showing up in ATVs and UTVs within the last few years as well. While the first ATV EPS units were vented, the newer ones are completely sealed and hold up well to some of the harshest environments which include deep water, thick mud, weeds, etc. And it's wonderful.

I think Ford made a good move with the electric power steering. No more power steering whine. One less fluid to check. One less pulley/accessory on the engine (although the energy will now come from the alternator). I just see this as a good thing and it's probably here to stay.

Joe Rotax 03-07-2011 10:32 AM

Yeah, I'm not that concerned about the reliability of the EPAS because I'm sure they have it pretty well sorted and the concept has been around for awhile.

What I don't want is something that has lighter steering and less road feel than the 2010 I have now because I'm finding that my truck is more fun to drive than my so called sports car..lol

wolf189 03-07-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Rotax (Post 10063249)
Yeah, I'm not that concerned about the reliability of the EPAS because I'm sure they have it pretty well sorted and the concept has been around for awhile.

What I don't want is something that has lighter steering and less road feel than the 2010 I have now because I'm finding that my truck is more fun to drive than my so called sports car..lol

actually I'm finding that the feel of this new steering setup is definitely better than the steering on the '06 that I traded in. More precise, less effort, less lane wandering at speed, good feedback... the truck actually feels like it handles better/corners better. my girlfriend actually noted that this truck seemed easier to maneuver in tighter situations than the old truck (both are 145"WB supercab 4x4 trucks so the dimensions are the same, the only difference would be in the steering). Personally I think that this helps make the truck even more fun to drive now!

LxMan1 03-07-2011 05:20 PM

Subaru had it back in the 80's it works ok until the sensors or pump motor fail. Just something else to put a load on the poor old alternator. When it functions properly, you really can't tell the difference.