Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Washington Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum188/)
-   -   What's your upcoming truck project? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1046518-whats-your-upcoming-truck-project.html)

52 Merc 03-04-2011 09:46 PM

What's your upcoming truck project?

The weather is starting to shape up. The days are getting longer and warmer, and flowers are popping up. So what is everyone's truck project for the spring/summer? Anything special you want to accomplish, now that it's actually warm enough to step outside without a parka? :-dancing1

bfog99 03-04-2011 11:42 PM

I'm getting ready to rebuild my exhaust back pressure valve and turbo pedistal o-rings and install a set of gauges. You?

52 Merc 03-05-2011 12:01 AM

Hoping to find some time to finish taking apart the F-6 trucks I'm parting out, and straighten up and organize the shop some. Then comes the disassembly of the ol' Merc. :) That'll be enough to keep me busy all summer.

Buzz44 03-05-2011 01:15 AM

This 65

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_F...-29-48_685.jpg

too this

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_F...ford%204x4.jpg

This and the 63 should keep me busy and out of trouble for a while.

lostmybeer 03-06-2011 12:15 PM

Im just gonna do the normal bs to my truck. I do have a 69 camero that needs lots of work. Need to pull the motor and rebuild. Lots of rust on the body. Gonna make it go again.

caseys 03-06-2011 05:43 PM

Damn nice job on the 65... you are truly an artist.

Lvcrprts 03-06-2011 09:25 PM

Me, i get the fun job of tearing down my motor when i get a place to do it. Metallic noises usually not a good sign, sounds like a spoon stuck in a garbage disposal. But an excuse to put that stoker 390 i have been drooling over.

Buzz44 03-08-2011 12:15 AM

Hold on Casey that 66 was done by someone else. I plan on turning that 65 pile in the driveway into something as nice as that 66. Short story is got it for parts and now it is a project. What you gonna do???????

im2tall33 03-08-2011 12:16 PM

im going to paint my bronco II flat black along with the crome and everything..i also am going to be doing some exhaust work i know i need a new cat/might just cut it out..not sure what i want to run for a muffler though

planehunter 03-08-2011 02:42 PM

I've got two projects so far, install a heavy duty headlight harness and recondition and install a diesel style bumper inplace of the plain stock one.

forddude05 03-08-2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by im2tall33 (Post 10068452)
im going to paint my bronco II flat black along with the crome and everything..i also am going to be doing some exhaust work i know i need a new cat/might just cut it out..not sure what i want to run for a muffler though

Micah, my recommendation is the Thrush Welded. It's a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster, but WAY less expensive. The quality's there, they use slightly lighter gauge steel but it's okay since that makes for less weight. Sounds just as good as the Flowmaster too, IMO. Got one on my Bronco, couldn't be happier. It's held up to numerous backfires too! :-X22

im2tall33 03-09-2011 02:55 PM

how do you think it would sound on a 2.9? i was thinking maybe a cherry bomb turbo 2 muffler i am cutting out my cat too

onug 03-09-2011 03:17 PM

You guys have better skills than me. I'm just planning basic mods to my truck, as time allows. I'd like to install some reverse lights. I'm also hoping to install a 12v outlet and LED light system on the bed of my truck.

If I get really inspired, I might yank the stock fog lights and install some PIAA driving lights.

im2tall33 03-09-2011 03:41 PM

i also want to mount a light bar for some off road lights on my roof.. i havent had much luck finding one yet

forddude05 03-09-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by im2tall33 (Post 10073389)
how do you think it would sound on a 2.9? i was thinking maybe a cherry bomb turbo 2 muffler i am cutting out my cat too

If you have a downstream O2 sensor don't take out your cat, Micah... your CEL will be on, and never shut off unless you put a cat back in. Just be sure before you cut it out that there isn't an O2 sensor on the tailpipe side of your cat. If not, hack away lol. I paid like $30 for the Thrush, you'll probably be paying for the name with Cherry Bomb. Then again, it's not my truck... but I was happy with the quality for my money with the Thrush. The Thrush would probably sound like a V6 3rd gen Toyota with a Flowmaster on your 2.9. I actually think that sound is pretty good, but my guess is that it'll be a little throatier. You'll never find out if you don't try it!

Originally Posted by onug (Post 10073449)
You guys have better skills than me. I'm just planning basic mods to my truck, as time allows. I'd like to install some reverse lights. I'm also hoping to install a 12v outlet and LED light system on the bed of my truck.

If I get really inspired, I might yank the stock fog lights and install some PIAA driving lights.

Skills come with time and tinkering. I've learned a lot just from basic maintenance and replacing parts to keep my truck on the road. If you buy even a generic manual for your truck like a Haynes manual (they are only really good for part locations and torque specs, IMO) and take some time to work with your truck, you can improve your skills. It worked for me :-X22