Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Driver's front door sag (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1046275-drivers-front-door-sag.html)

99StrokeXLT 03-04-2011 07:44 AM

Driver's front door sag

I,ve noticed recently that my driver's side front door has been sagging on the lock side and this is causing problems with it closing properly as well as sealing out air and noise. With the door closed the reveal between the door and front fender is noticeably smaller at the bottom than the top as well being tighter against the ext. cab door at the top than the bottom.
I looked at the hinges and bolts holding the hinges to the door and frame, I can't even get a wrench in there! Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution, as of right now the only thing I can think of is pulling the front fender and adjusting the the door by loosening the hinges and the re-torquing them, something I would really like the avoid doing....

99StrokeXLT 03-05-2011 07:06 AM

no one has anything on this?

2006lariat 03-05-2011 07:19 AM

Need new door pins, than an alignment. Even the doors hinges wear out eventually! I never had a superduty apart to see what all is involved, so post us!

99StrokeXLT 03-05-2011 07:29 AM

I'm guessing the door pins would be the same thing as in the door in your house? just the pin that holds the two sides of the hinge together?

2006lariat 03-05-2011 07:39 AM

If it is built like the OBS there should be 2 pins, one on the top one on the bottom. These doors seem to get heavier and heavier every yr, with all the electronics and Big mirrors, naturally they will wear. I have a co worker who has an 03 350, his were bad, I will check with him and see if he fixed it yet.

99StrokeXLT 03-05-2011 07:47 AM

I would certainly appreciate it...just on first glance it looks like the fix will be a big PITA as I couldn't see a good way to get to the bolts holding to the hinges to the door and body respectively. It looks like I need to do something pretty soon too as the front bottom corner of the doors is almost pinching on the front fender...

damicofuel 03-05-2011 09:03 AM

Dont forget the new brass bushings. Should come in a kit.

99StrokeXLT 03-05-2011 12:17 PM

I'm assuming you know something about this by your post Jay, please lay any knowledge on me...all I have done is stare at it.

2006lariat 03-09-2011 02:24 PM

I talked to the fella I work with, and he said he has'nt fixed his yet. Sorry I cant be more help! Did you figure it out? You should be able to buy a kit to do it, but as far as doing it, I never had a superduty apart. Again I am sorry I couldnt help more!

hippie21 03-09-2011 02:33 PM

Your door pins are probably shot...should only be like 6 er 7 bucks at auto zone or anywhere else. make sure to check to see if the hinge brackets are still holding to the body and the door properly.

99StrokeXLT 03-09-2011 03:27 PM

thanks for the info all. Is this a pretty universal part or is it make or model specific?

2006lariat 03-09-2011 03:31 PM

I would say model specific.

Skip1970 03-09-2011 03:36 PM

boy oh boy, did them on a chevy s10 blazer it was sagging 1/4 - 1/2 inch. was a real bugger to close the door.. the trick i used was pull into garage, use 2 racheting straps thru door frame window to rafters to hold the door up when i pulled the pins to replace the bushings / pins

worked like a champ, i think the pins were only 5 bucks a set.at orielys auto parts

the hardest part was hanging the door from the rafters with the ratcheting strap, but it worked great, didnt have to disconect no wiring or nothing.

should work same for superduty

Mike F250 03-09-2011 03:39 PM

I've done this on other vehicles. I haven't looked at my truck yet because there has been no need. But per other vehicles...
You should be able to see the bushings around the hinge pins. Top and bottom of each pin. Ensure the bushing didn't drop out and allow the pin to distort/wear the hinge itself. If the hinge pin hole is out of round new pins/bushings will not align properly.
The door is heavy. Make sure you have help holding it in place if you can pop the pin out without unbolting the hinge. on my 76 Camaro I was able to use a 2X4 block on a jack to hold it in place while I popped one pin at a time to replace.

brooksbronco17 03-09-2011 04:27 PM

About to do this on my uncles OBS and found this video extremely helpful. It's on a ford thunderbird but the procedure would be the same. Well put together video.

YouTube - SAGGING CAR DOORS? FIX YOUR HINGE IN 30 MINUTES OR LESS.