Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (
-   -   ford 302 to inline six conversion (

mustangtj02 03-02-2011 06:48 PM

ford 302 to inline six conversion
i am looking to convert my ford 302 5.0 liter to an inline 300 cubic inch motor. which motor do i need to get for this conversion? the air in head or manifold? or doesnt it matter? also what is E40D a code for? please help

Duct Tape Racing 03-02-2011 07:00 PM


what are the specs of your truck?

e40d refers to the transmission

Boss94 03-02-2011 07:04 PM


and E40D is the heavy duty transmission.

mustangtj02 03-02-2011 07:20 PM

i dont know the trans identification. all i know is that it is a 1990 ford f-150 reg cab long bed with the 302 engine that i blew 4 cylinders out of. i was told that the inline 6 would fit in with motor mounts wire harness and ecu. im trying to get one from a junk yard but i need to know which trans and which type of air injection i need. in the head or manifold

IDIDieselJohn 03-02-2011 07:35 PM

The trans. you have on your 302 will fit the 300.

Any transmission that came off any Ford small block engine will bolt right up to your 300.

300-6, 302 and 351 are small blocks and all have the same bell housing bolt patern.

If your going E4OD, you will need an ECU that came off another that had the E4OD behind it. The transmission computer works with the engine computer on the E4OD trans.

The 300 is far better than the 302 in all aspects!

Much better low end power, more torque than the 302, abit less HP though.

300 = 160HP and 265ft. Torque @ ~2000RPM.

302 = 185HP and 200ft. Torque @ ~4000RPM. Can't remember the exact RPM numbers on that one.

Much more durable and you can abuse it all day long, and it's only gonna ask for more!

mustangtj02 03-02-2011 07:37 PM

how do i identify if i have the E40D trans or the other one?

IDIDieselJohn 03-02-2011 07:41 PM

What does your dash gear selector say?

P R N D 2 1 = C6

P R N (D) 2 1 = E4OD (will have an OD button on the dash or steering column depending on year)

P R N (D) D 1 = AOD

mustangtj02 03-02-2011 07:44 PM

its a stick. 4 speed with overdrive and reverse. also do i need to get air in head or air in manifold?

IDIDieselJohn 03-02-2011 07:54 PM

You have the M5OD (or M5R2) what ever people wanna call it.

It's a Mazda 5 speed transmission. Good transmission for everyday driving, but nothing extreme.

That will go behind your 300.

Just be sure since you'll have access to the transmission, replace the 3 rubber plugs on it. They like to leak and it emptys out the fluid and they burn out.

mustangtj02 03-02-2011 07:56 PM

do i need air in head or air in manifold? i dunno what this means?

IDIDieselJohn 03-02-2011 07:57 PM

That crap is emission related.

What year is your engine and truck?

mustangtj02 03-02-2011 07:59 PM

1990 truck and 1992 engine i will be puttin in

IDIDieselJohn 03-02-2011 08:02 PM

Pretty sure it's manifold AIR.

mustangtj02 03-02-2011 08:02 PM

okay thank you

Duct Tape Racing 03-03-2011 12:12 PM

Yeah should be manifold.

Youl love the six

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands