Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum51/)
-   -   Accelerator pedal after carb install (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/104559-accelerator-pedal-after-carb-install.html)

KevinD555 03-13-2003 08:10 PM

Accelerator pedal after carb install

Just installed a new edel intake/600 carb on my '73, and now the accelerator pedal is really high from the floor board. After taking it for a spin, it seems to be functional throughout the full range of motion? Any ideas on how to get back to a "normal" posistion and still have full range???

Chas1234 03-13-2003 08:15 PM

My old man didnt like the way his ( 1978 F1504x4 same system as yours) pedal was so he ended up bending the metal braket under the the plastic pedal . I belive there is and adjusting slieve on the linkage before it goes into the firewall (on the engine compartment side)
Give that a try
Jon

karljay 03-13-2003 09:48 PM

I think ford used two different types, one that bolts to the rear of the intake and reverses the movement of the linkage, and a second that conects directly to the bar at the rear of the firewall.

The first type is adjustable in terms of height and I think the second on might be too. Look for threads along the linkage and you might be able to adjust it to the correct position.

I ended up making on from scratch using a threaded rod from home depot and welding on a ball clip end to connect to the carb. pretty simple and gives about 2" of adjustment.

Otherwise you could just cut some rod to the best length and weld / bolt on the tips.

Ratsmoker 03-13-2003 10:30 PM

The higher you hook it on the throttle arm on the carb the more throw your pedal will require. Hook it as close to the pivot point as possible.

KevinD555 03-13-2003 11:09 PM

Thanks for the input folks, I'll give it a try tomorrow. It does run really good with the new setup however. I'm hoping the MPG doesn't take a big hit now vs the old motorcraft 2b setup? I'm sure alot of that will depend on much I stay out of the throttle? That damn stock intake must have weighed close to 100lbs!!!

Ratsmoker 03-13-2003 11:17 PM

You are close. They range from 75 - 90. They get up to about 400lbs after you have lifted it a few times. :) You shouldn't loose any mileage if you get it tuned properly.

KevinD555 03-13-2003 11:31 PM

Rat,

According to the Edel owners manual with the carb, it's "supposed" to be pre-tuned for optimal use in most every "normal" driving condition? There are some very detailed adjustment diagrams in the back of the book however. Once the carb got full of gas, it started right up. Then I tried it from a cold start a few hours later, and it banged right off. A big improvement from the old cold natured, grind and pump routine, with the rough idle of before. I went with the electric choke version. It does Idle a bit on the "quick" side upon cold startup, but that goes away within a few minutes. I'm very happy with it so far, I'll adjust the linkage tomorrow. It does make sense that if you grip it close to the pivot point, then you can still get full throttle on the floor--only the amount of movement of the pedal versus the impact on the carb will be increased--press the pedal an inch now--after adjustment--I could get the same affect from a half inch of pedal throw?? Am I right in my mental breakdown of the mechanics of it??

Ratsmoker 03-13-2003 11:43 PM

Yep, that's pretty much it. The edel carbs are known for bolt on accuracy. You can either fine tune it by looking at the plugs after a while or really get accurate and have it dyno'd. If it runs good I would drive it a while before I got crazy.

KevinD555 03-13-2003 11:49 PM

Yup, the old plug test is what I've used on my Harley for years. The recommended metod is to use fresh plugs and then pull 'em and check the "color". Of course, that's only with two plugs, 8 "fresh" plugs could get into some $$$$.

Kevin