Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   XLT Rear Bumper Cover / Step Pad Rejuvenation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1044871-xlt-rear-bumper-cover-step-pad-rejuvenation.html)

TexasGuy001 02-28-2011 04:55 AM

XLT Rear Bumper Cover / Step Pad Rejuvenation

The black plastic step pad on my truck's rear bumper is turning a little gray and doesn't look new anymore. It looks alright but I want it to look better. There is some UV damage or some type of buildup on it. If you lightly scrape against it the grayish stuff comes off and its black underneath.

I'm thinking about one of these products. Meguiars Trim Detailer or Mothers Back to Black. I'm just worried that this will only look good for a very short period of time or that it will turn milky after getting wet. I'm thinking that it may be best to just leave it the way it is.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Meguiar's Direct Gold Class Trim Detailer 10 oz.

MothersŪ Back-to-BlackŪ

nnero 02-28-2011 07:03 AM

Here is a helpful thread from the 04-08 Forum on Mothers Back to Black:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...er-flares.html

Actually, there is a bunch of threads in that forum about restoring black plastic. It might be helpul to search for other threads in that fourm. You will have to keep on applying a product like that over time, but if you had to apply it a couple times per year, I guess its not such a bad thing. What about using a heat gun? I have never tried this method but heard it gives good results. Anything short of a new step pad or plastic paint, I doubt there is any permanent fix.

F3fitty 02-28-2011 07:13 AM

Heres a little trick I learned from the Jeep world. Those stupid fender flares on jeeps would always turn gray and if not treated they would almost turn white.

Go down to Walmart and pick up some black shoe dye. NOT polish. Dye. rub it on the black that needs restoring and then wipe it off with a dry cloth. repeat this a few times and it will be back to black... for a dollar. You may need to do this once or twice a year depending on where you live. Here in florida the sun bakes all those black plastic parts. Also... another tip is to never armorall that stuff. It just causes it to fade quicker.

TexasGuy001 03-01-2011 06:00 AM

I have seen a lot of the newer trucks with black trim problems. I'll give that thread a read.

I have never heard of using a heat gun. Whats that supposed to do?

Thats a neat idea about the shoe dye.

I agree entirely. Armorall is crap. It ruined the dash in our 85 F150 back in 1990. I have seen tons of damage from that junk over the years.

TexasGuy001 03-01-2011 06:10 AM

After reading over that thread on the newer trucks, I don't think I will be using the Mothers or Meguiars products. I don't want the bumper pad to be slippery or streak etc. I am interested in the heat gun method and may try that.

J1nx93 03-01-2011 11:08 AM

I'm not being cocky or anything, but I'm pretty good at detailing for my age. I joined a website called AutoGeek and learned a lot on their forums. For restoring faded trim, personally, I'd make the plastic clean and oil free with some APC of some sort and a scrub brush. Then, you could use some of the trim restorer from their store. A few good things for trim are Black Wow, Ultima Tire and Trim Guard, or Poorboy's World Trim Restorer. All of those products are highly reviewed and it's all personal choice. I'd advise going on the Reviews section and searching up the reviews and then make your choice. Hope I helped some!

-Tom

hammerhead90 03-01-2011 11:21 AM

When I repainted my truck, I also painted the bumper step pads and covers on the front and rear with a good quality rattle can paint. 3 years later they still look brand new. All I've done to em since is ArmorAll them when I wash it.

SideWinder4.9l 03-01-2011 12:00 PM

Autobalm tire blackener.....I used it and love it...

-Wes

TexasGuy001 03-02-2011 03:30 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll give it some thought.