Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Polish/ clean up aluminum jerr dann rollback bed on 89' F-350 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1043467-polish-clean-up-aluminum-jerr-dann-rollback-bed-on-89-f-350-a.html)

stonerboys 02-23-2011 08:45 PM

Polish/ clean up aluminum jerr dann rollback bed on 89' F-350

Hi, I recently bought a 1989 Ford F-350 with the 17 1/2' Jerr Dann Aluminum bed. I was wondering if anyone has ever polished one of these bed's and what cleaners/ chemicals they used and how they did it. I would like to clean the bed up a little bit more than it is to make it look better. Thanks in advance for your help.

96f350az 02-23-2011 08:55 PM

thats alot of mothers and a couple power balls. lol

Midnite1987 02-23-2011 09:03 PM

go to any transport shop and they will probably sell you some of the acid the truckers use on the wheels/trailers or atleast tell you where to get it. mind you its not really cheap but it does an amazing job.... spray on let it sit 10-15 min pressure wash off and wow...

Domestic_Nuwbee 02-24-2011 01:00 AM

I would suggest going over it with a medium (maroon) scotch-brite pad to clean up and remove any oxidation or corrosion. Then go over it with a fine (grey) scotch-brite pad to make the grain a little finer. Keep in mind, for best results keep sanding grains uniform in one direction. Do not swirl. Now that you have a clean fresh/raw surface get yourself some MOTHERS aluminum/mag polish and a cotton rag like an old towel or face cloth. Fold up the rag a few times, load er up with mothers and go to town! Note: it turns into a black compound. With good pressure, high speed and single direction motion back and forth....you'll be blown away. Here's another tip:
I believe it says to use one cloth to polish/buff and a clean one to go over after. If you just use the one cloth and work the **** out of the mothers til the black compond is gone, you will see mirror finish results. TRUST me. Im in the metal finishing industry. Polishing/Buffing, Plating and Aluminum Anodizing is what I do. Put it this way, I have access and use industrial grade polishing compounds that are specially formulated to make it shine, but I SWEAR by MOTHERS. The stuff is amazing if used well. Goodluck, have fun. And remember to switch arms, or one arm will be more juiced than the other!!!

cj06 02-24-2011 03:40 AM

How to polish aluminum wheels

ArdWrknTrk 02-24-2011 05:33 AM

We used to use a product called Alumi-Brite on the beds of the triaxles.
It kept them shiny but won't do anything for scuffs and scratches.

Wet sanding with carbide paper and then progressive polishing compounds would get it to where you could see yourself in the sides of the trucks.

dustybumpers 02-24-2011 06:19 AM

take it to a truck wash, and have the bed acid washed. any big truck stop has a truck wash. all that has been posted so far is good info, I also start with Pb blaster, and fine steel wool, just keep everything wet, and keep scrubbing. wipe off with soft Terri cloth towels. wear rubber gloves, on any of the products, or your hands will be stained. mothers works well, I usually add a little rain x too it, to prevent water spots. use a wax applicator pad to put the product on, a soft terry towel to wipe it off. I can do my tri axle dump in about 9 hrs, but it's a lot of work

96f350az 02-24-2011 10:22 AM

youll like mothers. ide sudjest a "foose" power cone to save you time and make it look better. there pricy but worth it. grab a drill and got to town.
thats what we use on dirtbike frames and wheels. we just wax it after and walk away.
just be ssure to not let the power ball get to hot. haha. itll melt off the bit. been there.

stonerboys 02-26-2011 10:18 PM

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Diesel_Brad 02-27-2011 09:24 AM

Like some of the other have stated.

Acid wash first.

Then get wet sand paper starting at 600 , 1000, and 1500

Do the rough spots w the 600, Then do the whole thing in 1000, then 1500.

next would be to get a power polisher and a commercial grade aluminum polish(NOT MOTHERs).

I like Speedy THE ORIGINAL SPEEDY METAL POLISH SITE. SPEEDY SHINES ALUMINUM,SILVER,COPPER,BRASS,STAINLESS STEELL, AND ALL OTHER METALS

ArdWrknTrk 02-27-2011 10:32 AM

My personal preference is Magic Mix metal polish.
Magic Mix quality polishes and waxes from Valco CIncinnati Consumer Products. The Lazy Man's Polish
I haven't found a better product, yet...