Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Diesel Ranger in Europe (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1042204-diesel-ranger-in-europe.html)

natehanson_04 02-20-2011 03:44 PM

Diesel Ranger in Europe

Why cant we get any of this cool stuff in the US? Itd would be more logical for me than a full-sized truck. Anyway I thought some of you guys might appreciate it.

A Petition: Bring Ford's Global Diesel Ranger to America

Jigger2020 02-20-2011 04:04 PM

I say Excellent, bring it home please.

cheezit 02-20-2011 04:11 PM

ya this is not really news. there is a diesel focus too. I think we will see it / them soon enugh. stateside there is a consumer push for hybirds ..... I really dont understnad that push. the not so green batteries alsong with the high green cost of replacing such said batteries is outragous.

I do belive with diesel technology going green it is not only a better awnser but a cleaner one. and sence we dont really need oil to make diesel fuels anymore .....

dchamberlain 02-20-2011 04:55 PM

But that would make sense. We can't have any of that over here.

cheezit 02-20-2011 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by dchamberlain (Post 9994614)
But that would make sense. We can't have any of that over here.

no no we cant and we must save the spotted owl too.

Krump's brother 02-20-2011 05:36 PM

100% agree with "greener" diesel being the way of the near future.

I wish I had a picture of the diesel Toyota Stout I rode in in Ecuador. I know this is a Ford site, but it was sweet. I would love to see a spartan 4X4 diesel (or even gas) mini pickup. Something with virtually no options, similar to a mid 80s solid axle Yota would sell like hotcakes. The 'wheelin crowd would go crazy,there's nothing in that niche.

Forest 02-20-2011 05:47 PM

It is frustrating to me that we can't seem to drum up enthusiasm in this country for smaller diesels. A Ford Ranger with a 2.0L 4 cylinder diesel would work well, I feel.

I am just returning from a trip to Italy and Germany. I rented a VW Passat stationwagon in Milan and drove it to Stuttgart. When on the open road, I moved with the traffic--about 120 to 150 km/h (75 to 93 mph) and some city traffic idling (Zurich is a nightmare). After 945 km (587 miles) of driving, I refilled the tank this morning with 53.8 L (14.2 gallons). That computes to 41.4 mpg!

This car was not a 'dog'. It had a 6 speed manual and would pull in 6th gear from 50 km/h up to 150 km/h (and easily much faster, if I wanted to).

Now a small pickup would require more fuel to handle the extra drag and lower gearing. But, I think it could easily achieve 30 mpg in every day driving.

cheezit 02-20-2011 05:50 PM

you can buy a 2.0l diesel range stateside. they were around for many years. It was a great engine too.
google it.

Mich6.0 02-20-2011 06:07 PM

Zurich is a night mare, I used to a get beer in Italy and just watch and laugh. I don't think I seen a handfull of cars with dents.

Jigger2020 02-20-2011 06:15 PM

I like the look of that blue truck in the OP's article, with the fender vents & all, not sure about the large tail lights.
Dont forget to vote guys.....

Jakebrake 02-20-2011 06:30 PM

I have seen many diesel Ranger P/U's in Mexico...they were all 4 door cabs too. I looked on the Ford website in Mexico about a year or so ago and they were still available. I think you would play hell trying to get one into the US...nothing about the truck would comply with U.S. dot standards.

P.S. Looks like the diesel is no longer offered...but it was a while back.

dchamberlain 02-20-2011 10:23 PM

Look at it this way. "Hybrid" sounds cool. It's new. It's hip. It's neat technology that lets auto makers look like they are really doing something while selling cars for way more money that don't really get the impressive fuel economy they claim. It also lets government give away 5 large to get you to buy one, so they get to look like they're doing something too.

What does "diesel" sound like. Unfortunately to most Americans it sounds like stinky smelly fuel with stinky smelly exhaust and coal rolling out the tail pipe. Even though clean diesel is none of those things, that's what people have come to believe. And what people think is true has far more influence than what really is true.