Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   What do you think of this deal? 53 f100 UPDATED with PICS (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1041438-what-do-you-think-of-this-deal-53-f100-updated-with-pics.html)

nutn2dp 02-18-2011 02:47 AM

What do you think of this deal? 53 f100 UPDATED with PICS

Hi, I've have been looking for a ride for some time. I have come across a 53 f100, all orgional except for 12-volt, 86,000 miles, flathead V8, all steel, in pretty good shape. 2nd owner. Asking $10,000.

This will be my first purchase on something this old. Been trying to research value's but haven't come up with much. I figured some of you ford buff's might have an idea where this sites on price? :confused:

Thanks much,
Nate

55 f350 02-18-2011 03:21 AM

too me seems kinda high unless is an untouched one owner sweetie . mine isn't a show piece , 53 f100 with a flathead v8 and it ran and drove after going through the brakes and replacing a bent valve , and a botched up 12 volt conversion that is partially responsible for the it's in pieces now , on no it became a project !!!!! status . i paid 2700 bucks for it . the deals are out there you just have to be patient and follow up on things peeps tell you about ! Oo.

kenjh 02-18-2011 03:33 AM

yah what he said ..got my 54 for1000, put that much into break's and the fuel system and haveing fun..if yah wanna barret jackson show truck..it's your money...but then ..what is his cash price??is it a driver??come with spare part's truck??got pictures??

JRMack 02-18-2011 10:03 AM

Yeah i have to agree with the other people here. I bought my truck for $4,000. It came with a rebuilt front end and 289/c4 and a 9inch ford rear. One of the reasons i spent what i did (which i realize was higher than some) was i knew the previous owner. He runs a rod shop and does incredible work. The body, with the exception of one cab corner (Arizona truck), is straight and rust free, with no body filler. I am not a body man and knew i was way ahead of the game buying a straight truck. I have detailed build photos of his work and all receipts.
The deals are out there, you might need to be patient though. You also need to take serious consideration of your budget and skill level BEFORE buying a truck. 10k seems a little high to me, but thats just my 2 cents.

CharlieLed 02-18-2011 10:23 AM

Given your location it would hard for the majority of us here in the continental US to come up with a price...local supply and demand will prevail.

ssj7kids 02-18-2011 10:39 AM

WoW, yeah, location, location, location.... :)
"pretty good shape", what does that mean? I bought my 53 F100 for $400 and "compared" to some other trucks I've seen, was in pretty good shape.... didn't run, the bed was completely rotted out. I didn't know anything about trucks at the time, but I DID get a good deal... A lot of work... done and yet to do.
As others said, depends on your skill level.
For $10K I would want something that was in REALLY good shape. Finished, running, drivable.
But I don't live on an Island. :)

Doc 02-18-2011 10:46 AM

I'm gonna say living in Hawaii is gonna spot the seller a pretty good chunk of change. Other than that, you need to post some pictures or send us to a link with some pics in order for us to give you a decent opinion.

arctic y block 02-18-2011 10:48 AM

Wow I was under the impression that everything was rotted away in the South Pacific. This truck maybe has not been there long. Anyway please post up some pics if ya can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

nutn2dp 02-18-2011 11:43 AM

Thanks for the input so far. I am going to look at it tomorrow. Im told its currently a daily driver, and was purchased in Hawaii. Sounds like it has been garaged over the years. I'll take some pics and report back.

nutn2dp 02-19-2011 10:22 PM

I just got back from looking at the truck. It is very straight with VERY little rust. There are a few dings, but over all very good. Its a nice barn find.

I was told that the flathead was rebuilt in late 70's and has about 2700 miles on the rebuild. IT fired on the first try. The paint, I'm told, has been redone at some point. Origionally black, now green. The magnent didnt detect any bondo. The bed appears to have a sheet of metal laid over the wood, but I couldnt tell if it was welded. From underneath, you could see the rotting wood. The interior is in very good shape. My dream is to do a resto/mod, IFS, something out back, slight drop, 302 w/2bbl.

Here are the pics, keep in mind he states $10K, not a penny less.

F100 - a set on Flickr

51PanelMan 02-19-2011 10:50 PM

I'd walk away at $10k. You want to resto mod it anyway, so all you really need is a body and frame or a non-running truck. Leave that stock truck for someone to restore.

Supply vs demand drives everything on an island. There's definitely not as many vehicles out in HI as there are on the mainland. Have you thought about buying a truck out in CA and having it shipped to HI. Maybe a $2-4k truck??? If you buy a truck at that price, you can build what you want within your budget.

kenjh 02-19-2011 10:50 PM

very nice...now if it's what you want ..and it's worth it to you...but why destroy a com pleat intact truck only to tear it apart ..for less you could find a good body and go from there ..your going to tear it apart anyway..a good frame , and body for a couple of thousand and still be ahead.. and a very nice original would be left to survive they are getting far and few ....just my corner..either way good luck in you plan

51PanelMan 02-19-2011 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by kenjh (Post 9991760)
very nice...now if it's what you want ..and it's worth it to you...but why destroy a com pleat intact truck only to tear it apart ..for less you could find a good body and go from there ..your going to tear it apart anyway..a good frame , and body for a couple of thousand and still be ahead.. and a very nice original would be left to survive they are getting far and few ....just my corner..either way good luck in you plan

Great minds think alike!

arctic y block 02-19-2011 10:57 PM

You two don't have the monopoly on great minds if that's the case. As I think most of us feel as you do. Wish I had 10K to play with. It's about 2 times what it's worth but I would love to save her from being Darksided any more than it is already. That is a nice near original truck. Born the same year I was. Lot of history there.

kenjh 02-19-2011 11:11 PM

it is a great truck ..and someone will spend 10 for it ..and change it to suit them..as we have done to ours...and we hope they will do as we did with ours..and so it goes