Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   My Oil Report-How does it look? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1041333-my-oil-report-how-does-it-look.html)

1buckeyefan 02-17-2011 08:10 PM

My Oil Report-How does it look?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MikeK/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.png[/IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6.../OilReport.jpg

I wanted to add that the fuel additive I am using is Howe's as an anti-gel since we do have some cold temps here.

Mich6.0 02-17-2011 08:23 PM

Did you drive around to warm the engine up and do you idle alot your fuel percentage is higher than it should be,see there comments section,what was the temp when you took the sample? Cold temps and just letting it idle to warm up could be why the high fuel reading.

1buckeyefan 02-17-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mich6.0 (Post 9983183)
Did you drive around to warm the engine up and do you idle alot your fuel percentage is higher than it should be,see there comments section,what was the temp when you took the sample? Cold temps and just letting it idle to warm up could be why the high fuel reading.

Cold.
Thanks for asking.

Jakebrake 02-17-2011 09:50 PM

What oil are you using?

XB70 02-17-2011 10:04 PM

What oil? Diesel Engine Oil!:)

1buckeyefan 02-17-2011 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jakebrake (Post 9983669)
What oil are you using?

Actually not sure. I bought this in late October and had the oil changed in December and decided to just have a look at the oil. It might be better to run the next report and see what has happened when I KNOW what is put in it.

Jakebrake 02-17-2011 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by XB70 (Post 9983727)
What oil? Diesel Engine Oil!:)

Yeah...thats what I mean?

ljutic ss 02-17-2011 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1buckeyefan (Post 9983768)
Actually not sure. I bought this in late October and had the oil changed in December and decided to just have a look at the oil. It might be better to run the next report and see what has happened when I KNOW what is put in it.

It sounds like you have no knowledge of the vehicle's past service history. If so, I would strongly suggest that you service all fluids especially the trans and transfer case oils. Your close enought to 100,000 that you should also change the differential fluids. And don't forget the fuel filters. This way you will know when the service schedules are due.

Jakebrake 02-17-2011 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ljutic ss (Post 9983891)
It sounds like you have no knowledge of the vehicle's past service history. If so, I would strongly suggest that you service all fluids especially the trans and transfer case oils. Your close enought to 100,000 that you should also change the differential fluids. And don't forget the fuel filters. This way you will know when the service schedules are due.

Good advice! As far as filters go make sure that you use Racor or Motorcraft filters. Trans is Mercon SP or LV only. Engine oils should be CI-4+ or CJ-4 rated...5w-40 synthetic in cold weather is a good idea for easier starting. If this is your first exposure to the 6.0 then you should spend some time reading the forums...lots of good info. Maintenance is key! What oil did you put in when it was changed?

bpounds 02-18-2011 01:18 PM

When you submit a sample to Blackstone, if you took the sample from a cold engine, be sure to tell them that on the form.

Your fuel dilution is a little high. Mine is usually .5% or lower.

Fuel dilution can be higher if you run a lot of short trips and don't get the engine hot very often.

Fuel dilution can also happen if work has been done to the engine. Since the truck is new to you, maybe some work was done before you bought it.

Of course, you could always have a leaky injector. But I would definitely change the oil and run another cycle before I got too worried about it.

SteveBricks 02-18-2011 01:31 PM

The high sodium level can be an indication of coolant in the oil. I'd be hoping to see that number go down on the next sample.

The viscosity is also very low, especially for a 3000 mile change interval. no doubt the fuel dilution has something to do with that.

bismic 02-18-2011 02:15 PM

My concern would be centered around some feedback I got on BITOG.

For the last few times, I had BOTH Polaris and Blackstone analyze my oil samples. Polaris ALWAYS has come back with quite a bit higher fuel dilution than Blackstone. The BITOG folks say that the Polaris analytical equipment is better for the fuel dilution analysis. So ......... it may be that your fuel dilution is even highr (hope not though).