Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Problems with steering... 1998 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1040613-problems-with-steering-1998-f150.html)

Illuzion1989 02-15-2011 07:13 PM

Problems with steering... 1998 F150

I am having steering problems with my steering in my 98 f150. When I am driving forward or anything having to do with moving the wheel will turn it self real harshly all the way right or left. my dad was looking at it while it happened and said the wheel looked like it was folding over on its self a bit as the problem was occurring in the cab. I finally have noticed a sound it makes as it is parked. if i turn the wheel left and right all the way I can hear a groaning sound happening in the following pattern. (sorry hard to describe the sound.) te te tetete teeeeeeee from straight to all the way right and then the same from straight to all the way left.

please someone help me find out what this is as I cannot drive the vehicle until this is taken care of cause I dont wanna seriously mess my truck up.... any help is appreciated.

peppermrj 02-15-2011 08:48 PM

Welcome to FTE.
Not sure of which wheel you are referring to? The steering wheel, drivers front wheel/tire, passenger front wheel/tire, or both front wheels/tires?

Illuzion1989 02-15-2011 08:51 PM

the steering wheel will turn itself all the way if I begin to turn it at all. and the tire is what my dad said is was folds over itself some as the steering wheel is turning it self violently left or right it is the driver side front tire area causing the problem. not the tire. I know cause I just replaced it.

oh yeah and thanks for the pleasant welcome.

jimanderson 02-15-2011 09:13 PM

OK try this.
Jack up the front end and place jackstands so the front wheels are off the ground.
Look for OBVIOUS loose bolts in the suspension.
Grab the passenger tire at the top and bottom, try to push in and pull out.
Does it move? Did anything in the suspension move?
Now do the sme thing holding the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock positions.
What moved in the suspension?
Repeat on the driver side.

There is something worn or broken in the suspension.

Don't want to do it yourself? Bend over and be prepared to spend a ton of money because the shop will probably want to change a lot of pieces.
I've got worn ball joints and tie rod ends (235K miles tends to do that)
I'll order all the parts on line and do the work myself. So far it looks like parts for my 2wd truck will be just under $1000 and I'll get it done in a couple of weeks (have other vehicles to drive)

peppermrj 02-15-2011 10:21 PM

Ok the steering wheel spins to the stop either one way or the other. The drivers side wheel goes all the way to the stop one way or the other to the stop at the sane time. What does the passenger side wheel do? All three "wheels" should turn the same way at the same time.
follow Mr. Anderson's advice. Put both front wheels off the ground, support the frame with jack stands and make sure everything is turning the same way at the same time. Check the steering box and everything going from it to the wheels.
How is the power steering? Fluid level?

Illuzion1989 02-15-2011 10:29 PM

it is at the 3rd line out of 4 lines... i have to wait till morn to checkthe rest. thinking about just going to a shop and taking the high cost.. considering paying them the $75 checking fee... they will look at it and tell me the problems for $75 so really thinking about that. anyone else think thats the best way to do it? i know very very little about cars.. my dad says he doesnt know what to do at this point... nor does he have time to do it..

avator 02-16-2011 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Illuzion1989 (Post 9974235)
it is at the 3rd line out of 4 lines... i have to wait till morn to checkthe rest. thinking about just going to a shop and taking the high cost.. considering paying them the $75 checking fee... they will look at it and tell me the problems for $75 so really thinking about that. anyone else think thats the best way to do it? i know very very little about cars.. my dad says he doesnt know what to do at this point... nor does he have time to do it..

sometimes this is the best answer. let us know what it was.

jimanderson 02-16-2011 06:33 PM

Are you near Atlanta?

steve(ill) 02-16-2011 08:55 PM

you have bad ball joints, tie rods or alignment. when you turn the steering wheell, the two front are not moving at the same rate making it look like one is folding under... You need to go to an alignment shop and let them look quick and give you the results. Should not cost $75. A good shop can tell you the problem in 15 minutes once its on the rack.

ondarvr 02-16-2011 09:17 PM

Not sure where you live, but around here many shops will inspect it or free.

Podaso 02-16-2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by steve(ill) (Post 9978743)
you have bad ball joints, tie rods or alignment. when you turn the steering wheell, the two front are not moving at the same rate making it look like one is folding under... You need to go to an alignment shop and let them look quick and give you the results. Should not cost $75. A good shop can tell you the problem in 15 minutes once its on the rack.

Do what steve(ill) said and I'm almost positive too that the culprit is one of those 3 things...

mustang_309 06-10-2011 07:28 AM

Perhaps you have a wheel bearing locked up?