Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   blowing black smoke (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1039172-blowing-black-smoke.html)

knapikmichael 02-11-2011 05:27 PM

blowing black smoke

how can i turn up my injectors to blow some black smoke on a 84 ford f250 6.9l diesel

Sycostang67 02-11-2011 08:45 PM

Get a pyrometer first or the only thing you will be blowing is your motor. It doesn't take much fuel to melt the pistons in a non turbo motor.

rupejosh 02-12-2011 03:28 AM

why is it you want to blow black smoke?all its going to do probably is give you bad mileage and a thinner wallet because of that.you wont see a huge power increase or anything like that i doubt.all black smoke is is unburned fuel.sycostang pretty much covered the other part.

Aune163rd 02-12-2011 03:32 AM

When you get your pyrometer installed, make sure its as close to Cylinder number 8's part of the exhaust manifold as possible, the one in the back right corner if your looking at it from the front. The injection pump needs to be turned up, there are many threads on how to turn it up on the forums, just search google with: Turn up injection pump 6.9 Ford Forums

snaponprofile 02-12-2011 10:12 AM

The more people blow black smoke, the more motivated tree huggers get in passing laws against those kinds of things. If you are set on turning of the IP, the others already covered what you have to do. Get a pyro and read on how to turn your IP up. I would start by turning it up 1/6 turn and then if your EGT's are fine do another 1/6 turn. You don't want to turn it up too much without a turbo.

royzell 02-12-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by snaponprofile (Post 9958210)
The more people blow black smoke, the more motivated tree huggers get in passing laws against those kinds of things.

He's right, and it isn't just tree huggers. If you look around there are already diesel pickup lobby groups worried about non-commercial diesel trucks being banned altogether.
In the Commercial world, you will never see a new semi pushing black like the old days, the laws are too stringent, and the technology too complex.

The current US government (which means all of North America) is pushing for even more restrictions in the commercial world, just wait for 'trickle down'.

wreckinball 02-12-2011 07:31 PM

especially on the island here! i felt out of place when the truck had the old ip and smoked everywhere. California is usually the test bed for these kinds of laws and with them not emissions testing 1998 and older diesels, the more people that go around choking out people on the streets, the more they are inclined to change the testing year. Soon we all will have DPF units on the truck and cats. Friggin crazy but its the posts like this that scare me and make me wonder why you want to "roll coal." Thankfully he thinks its turning up injectors so i think we are safe. This is the wrong forum for rolling coal and threads always end up like this. I say we stop telling them to get a pyro and encourage the stupidity to kill this crap off.

kenpobuck 02-12-2011 08:15 PM

I agree with you on that. But I did turn mine up one flat. Mine was kinda weak with no smoke at all. The one flat brought the power up and it only rolls coal with the pedal to the floor or pulling a long hill with a load behind her.

polarismuddman 02-12-2011 09:45 PM

Rolling coal is like Tinactin....it kills tailgaters on contact...that's the only thing it's good for. i used to be on the other side of the fence as I'm sure a few of us have been at some point in time. So, don't think we're only here to crap on your parade. The power gain with turning your pump up IS noticeable....and that's with a slight haze...heavy coal will get you nothing but headaches and a lighter wallet.

rupejosh 02-12-2011 09:49 PM

For a power gain I'm guessing your ip and injectors need replaced thats where you will recover power if thats what your looking for.dont be hard on him guys we are here to help and inform.

polarismuddman 02-12-2011 09:55 PM

That's the route I'd go......new IP new injectors and a turbo....

wreckinball 02-12-2011 10:10 PM

yeah there ya go, ill sell ya a 1993 factory turbo with an upgraded housing and upgraded downpipe. Thatll get ya down the road!

polarismuddman 02-12-2011 10:11 PM

whoa whoa whoa...what we lookin at price wise? Are you in Canadia?

rupejosh 02-13-2011 04:36 AM

careful guys keep it in the messaging system,your goin off topic