Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   How to disable Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on '08 Expedition EL? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1039121-how-to-disable-daytime-running-lights-drl-on-08-expedition-el.html)

JSDSM 02-11-2011 02:45 PM

How to disable Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on '08 Expedition EL?

Would like to disable the daytime running lights (DRL) on my 2008 Expedition EL. Based on other Ford truck forums I believe it is as simple as pulling the DRL resistor. If that works on the Expedition...where is the resistor located? If not...any suggestions?

MCDavis 02-11-2011 03:15 PM

Welcome to FTE.

I would suggest running a search for the DRLs in the 09+ F150 forum for your answer. I would do it for ya, but I'm currently surfing the site via my phone and it's not the best medium.

JSDSM 02-11-2011 03:20 PM

Thanks MCDavis for the advice and the welcome to FTE. I will give that search a try.

bjtor 02-13-2011 09:54 AM

disabling daytime running lights

I took my 08 EL to the dealer to have the daylight running lights disabled - the service manager told me it had to be done by changing the settings via computer access.

JSDSM 02-14-2011 11:45 AM

That's what I believe I found out after looking all around front end for some sort of DRL resistor this weekend. More research led me to threads saying it is a programable setting. Thanks bjtor for confirming that. Will request that from dealer next time I am there. Did they charge you for that? If so...ballpark how much?

bjtor 02-14-2011 11:56 AM

They charged me $55 to do this, which was ridiculous especially since the truck was in for regular service anyway. Sometimes the dealer (in this case the Ford dealer!) has all the cards!
Good luck

cop on my back 02-19-2011 04:20 AM

Yes, it does need to be reprogrammed. I had this done on my 05 Mustang except I had to drive to the States to get it done as dealers in Canada won't do it because it would then not be legal.

JSDSM 06-05-2011 11:27 AM

Update...just had service performed at local Ford dealer shop. Idiots had know idea what I was talking about when I told them they should be able to disable the DRLs via computer settings. Anyone out there know specific instructions that would help a dealer shop perform this mod?

cop on my back 06-05-2011 11:56 AM

Well the guys at the dealership I went to had no idea either. They had to contact Ford to get instructions. Your dealership should be able to do the same.

nogo73 06-06-2011 03:34 AM

Why not try the parking brake to see if just setting it a little bit will kill them? (just a couple clicks) Thats how we killed them on the GM vans at work? Not sure if ford is the same but worth a try?

cop on my back 06-13-2011 05:27 PM

It will work, but will make the Ebrake alarm go off constantly.

berry1234 06-14-2011 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by nogo73 (Post 10426735)
Why not try the parking brake to see if just setting it a little bit will kill them? (just a couple clicks) Thats how we killed them on the GM vans at work? Not sure if ford is the same but worth a try?

This isn't even a remotely viable option. :-huh

cstanley44 06-14-2011 02:13 PM

I believe 06+ Fords could have DRL enabled/disabled via the computer system by a service tech. My father purchased an 06 Explorer in TX and exported it to Canada. It was shipped to Orlando to me first, and I had the dealer enable the DRL. The dealer in TX said Id have to add a module, the Dealer in Canada said Id have to add a module. I printed the following and the Orlando Dealer figured it out. Cost was $49

From a Ford Service manual
========================
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

Special Tool(s) - Vehicle Communication Module (VCM) and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) software with appropriate hardware, or equivalent scan tool

Principles of Operation

NOTE: The smart junction box (SJB) is also known as the generic electronic module (GEM).

NOTE: When installing a new SJB, it must be configured for this feature, if originally equipped. Refer to Section 418-01.

The SJB controls the DRL by using various inputs to determine whether or not the DRL should be illuminated. These inputs include:

• Ignition switch position
• Headlamp switch position
• Headlamps on or off
• Transmission gear selection

JSDSM 06-18-2011 03:41 PM

re: partial engaging of parking brake...no go. 1 or 2 clicks and lights stayed on and chime sounded.

@ cstanley44 - looks like some good info. Will keep this next time have to visit the dealer shop. Is this something only dealer shops can do?

datman 09-15-2011 04:43 PM

Enabled DRL

I went to my dealer Mullinax of Kissimmee and the service guys are fantastic.

I asked them to enable the DRL for me, the service guy said He would have to ask the tech, I explained that they can disable/enable via the VCM and the tech said YES he can, 5 minutes later the DRL was enabled.

NO CHARGE, thanks Mullinax

But I forgot to ask them to enable the transmission gear selection that cstanley44 referenced.

I find sometimes I'm in 3rd gear instead of D

PS the DRL only works in gear, when placed in Park they turn off.