Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Good deal on an '01 F250? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1037933-good-deal-on-an-01-f250.html)

BoilerGirl 02-08-2011 08:53 AM

Good deal on an '01 F250?

Hello all, newbie here looking for advice.

Looking to purchase my first diesel - excited! I've found a 2001 F250 Lariat Supercab short bed that looks like a gem. 7.3L (obviously) with 230K and a 5spd tranny.

The listing just says "This F-250 is a loaded Lariat, 4x4, e-cab, with a 7.3 powerstroke, good tires, many newer updates (ball joints, brakes, clutch, etc...) only a 2 owner and a local trade." So she seems pretty stock except for the maintenance, no chips or other mods.

I'm trying to get service records on it today, is there anything specifically with this year I should be looking out for? She's priced around $5k below what Kbb says she should be, which makes me curious if people around here are just scared of the miles or there's underlying issues. What could I expect mileage wise out of her?

Would be taking my truck guy with me to look at her.

Ponyboychris 02-08-2011 08:56 AM

Welcome to FTE. Scan through this thread for some things to look at the truck. Is your truck guy a diesel truck guy? It makes a difference in knowing issues with gassers over diesels. And post up anything about the truck. Lots and lots of people here that can help!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

BoilerGirl 02-08-2011 09:22 AM

Yup, would be a diesel truck guy. Another friend has the same year and motor with a 350 and loves it so I have high hopes. I'll check out that thread, thanks!

00Dave 02-08-2011 09:27 AM

Where are you located? Maybe others in your area on here. In my opinion, if the truck is clean, has a clean title, and checks out, 5k below book is pretty good around my parts. That might be top dollar around your area though. Do you have a link you would like to share?

00Dave 02-08-2011 09:27 AM

What was I thinking, pardon my manners, WELCOME to FTE!

Ponyboychris 02-08-2011 09:32 AM

...And we like pictures too! You'll be amazed about some of the things people pick up on with a few photos taken of the truck. As you can tell we like these 7.3's.

Sounds like you got yourself a good person to look at your potential truck as well. That's great.

BoilerGirl 02-08-2011 09:38 AM

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat SuperCab Short Bed 4WD - Cars For Sale Wayland, MI

The only thing that jumps out and bothers me from the photos had nothing to do with the guts. There's no bed liner and no bed picture - rust? It's a MI truck and I know what the winter crud has done to the minimul rust on my beater in the 6 months we've been here. Any rust would be kind of a turn off, but the rest of the body looks good.

Ponyboychris 02-08-2011 09:45 AM

Look for a cheapy paint job that may be hiding some rust or other body damage. It was a plow truck so they tend to get bumps and bruises doing that kind of work. The engine and interior appear to be stock. And with the trailer brake under the dash, it may have seen some towing work in the past. All are not deal breakers but things to consider.

hanklin 02-08-2011 09:46 AM

Where is the 4X4 sticker on right rear quarter panel? Possibly been wrecked and re-painted.Looks to be a great deal however

farmb0y 02-08-2011 10:27 AM

Great eye on the sticker.

From what I can see, it looks clean. Seems that rust usually starts around the rear wheel wells. My truck has lived it's whole life in Iowa's salty winters, and it's just starting to rust at the bottom edge of the doors.

Does the plow come with it?? Could resell that and get a few $$$ to help pay for the truck.

The passenger side IC tube looks awfully dirty. If you get it, may have to take both of them off and clean them up, boots as well, and check for cracks and/tears.

Check for anything in the valley, fuel, oil. If there's something leaking, that's where it usually goes.

Did they do ALL the ball joints?? That's a nice fix to have done already, especially after pushing a plow.

Take it for a nice long test drive. See if you can run it for a weekend, that way you can let it sit out in the cold and see how it starts, if the GP's and relay are working properly. Check the 4x4 and most sure it engages easily. With the ESOF, the hubs may need to be pulled an greased. Vacuum lines might be old and cracked.

Price isn't too bad, things look fairly clean on the inside. May need a new seat skin for the drivers side. Or a nice seat cover!

Do you know what the two switches are for on the left side of the steering wheel??

That's about all I can think of for now. :-tap

Welcome to FTE and let us know how the test drive goes!!

BoilerGirl 02-08-2011 10:45 AM

Good catch on the 4x4 sticker!

Not sure about the two switches.

I've been talking to a friend of mine who does mostly Dodge's...and likes to talk out his rear sometimes just to have something to say, not the guy I'll be taking with me.

So far he's brought up
the miles
injectors
tranny guides
wheel bearings
HPOP

Thinking about going over Saturday if help is available to look at it...apparently they keep their prices low by closing at 6pm...

hanklin 02-08-2011 10:53 AM

the tranny has more than likely been replaced if the build date is before april (I think) because of the dreaded mechanical diode. They go out pretty early. Mine went at 160k and has been great since.
Injectors have not failed and I always use power service.No issues with hpop or wheel bearings except for 1 new ball joint.
I thought you might need my input as my truck is damn near identical. Happy rep sent

cj45lc 02-08-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by hanklin (Post 9939404)
the tranny has more than likely been replaced if the build date is before april (I think) because of the dreaded mechanical diode. They go out pretty early. Mine went at 160k and has been great since.
Injectors have not failed and I always use power service.No issues with hpop or wheel bearings except for 1 new ball joint.
I thought you might need my input as my truck is damn near identical. Happy rep sent

They put diodes in the 5 speed?

SkySkiJason 02-08-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by cj45lc (Post 9939441)

Its actually a 6spd - but that ain't what the shifter sez...

I'd be curious what clutch they put in it. Don't worry about injectors - I just helped a friend change his with 380k miles on them. That doesn't mean yours will last that long, but failure is not eminent! Besides, you can 'upgrade' injectors with a new chip (more HP & MPG) for under $1500.

Body rust sucks, but chassis rust is a KILLER. I would specifically look at the oil pan where it is closest to the transmission. If there is an oil leak on/at the oil pan - you've got to remove engine to fix it properly. Look for 'bandaid' repairs in this area!

Among the other things folks have and will mention, spend some time cleaning it up top AND bottom when ya get it home. Check all the fluids, change the brake fluid out, if no records then change trans and diff oils, pull the wheels and lube/inspect the brake caliper slide pins, etc, etc.... :-X10

Hope it werks out for ya!! If not, we'll be happy to give you some opinions on the next one... :-partybud Be sure to come back and before you buy anything for it - we know where the best prices and customer service are for EVERYTHING you might need!!! :9 And, if it does break down or have a problem, SOMEONE here always seems to know just what to do! :-X25

hanklin 02-08-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by cj45lc (Post 9939441)

nope, I missed it, although they did come with a doohiky near the whatchamacallit widget.:-roll
I`ll go sit in the corner now.