Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oregon Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum190/)
-   -   Two New Members! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1036106-two-new-members.html)

fabmandelux 02-02-2011 06:36 PM

Two New Members!

Please welcome two new members to the growing Oregon Chapter!

JNM76 from Brookings and Emcommer from Hillsboro

Welcome to the Brood!

kjvforme 02-02-2011 06:42 PM

More new members, wow!!! Welcome to the Oregon Chapter, most of what happens is conducted in the BS thread so come on over and post up. We also have a Roll Call going on in another thread,to add your name just cut and paste then add your info.

FORD RANGER 02-02-2011 06:47 PM

welcome guys.

Emcommer 02-02-2011 10:48 PM

Thanks. Not a Fordie yet, but am looking for my first now. I got the wife to let me have the tax return this year as last year's went to paying off her student loan. Woopeeeee.

Emcommer 02-02-2011 11:08 PM

Sorry, was so excited there I forgot to put in some info about me.

I'm a 40yo white guy. I've been working in software technical support for the last 15 years or so, 11 at a company in downtown Portland. (I really am getting to hate working downtown). I recently got into amateur radio (Ham) as an extension of other prepper activities I've been slowly getting into over the last 5 years or so. I'm not a foil hatter, I just want to prepare for the zombie appocolypse. ;o)

Right now I live in Hillsboro with my wife, adult son (and his girlfriend), and adult daughter and her two daughters. Once we get the dang kids to move out (or we move out from under them) our plan is within a few years to move to a more rural location (at least an hour from Portland) on a few acres and start doing some homesteading. If we can just get the dang kids to move out.... sheesh.

I was born in Forest Grove and lived in this area most of my life except for a short stint in Alaska and my Air Force career in Idaho (Mtn Home is the most god forsaken place I've been).

I'm one of those Jack of all Trades kind of guys. I get an interest in a subject and study the heck out of it until I have a basic understanding and a little experience then I move on to the next thing (can you say dilettante?). Some of the skills I've learned the basics on the last few years:

Sailing
electronics (built my own solar battery charge controller from components)
Solar
Wind (haven't had a chance to build my first wind turbine yet)
Ham radio (active in ARES hence the handle, I do EMergency COMMunications)
CNC (need some shop space so I can try building my own CNC router or mill)
Mead-making (YUMMM!!!)
Biodiesel (again, need some shop space to start producing)
Canning
Gardening (permaculture)
Aquaponics (using fish in a hydroponics system)

There's a whole slew more I want to learn but have been restraining myself until we move rural and can actually start practicing some of these skills. The wife is actually looking forward to just buying a piece of land with enough improvements for an RV pad with utilities and a pole barn/shop. She's fully on board with all the prepping to start homesteading. She's tired of the city life also and wants to get back to her country roots.

Greetings all.
Brian

Les Knapp 02-02-2011 11:20 PM

Les

Welcome to the Chapter men, from Cave Junction.

892504x4 02-03-2011 12:30 AM

Emcommer you live in my old stomping grounds I grew up in the Hillsboro, still have family in Washington County.
And Welcome to chapter.

Emcommer 02-03-2011 12:32 AM

Thanks. Where'd you relocate to? I love this area except the city parts. ;o)

Brian

892504x4 02-03-2011 12:41 AM

I know live in Seaside

bertha66 02-03-2011 08:54 AM

Welcome from Central Oregon, have fun here in the mad house.:-X24

JNM76 02-03-2011 09:28 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

Sorry im late saying something about myself. Im in the Coast Guard and have been a chevy guy for almost my whole life until, I bought a 76 f250 AND HAVE BEEN HOOKED EVER SINCE!!!!!!!!!!

bertha66 02-03-2011 09:41 AM

Welcome, I also have a 76 F250, great trucks.

kjvforme 02-03-2011 10:48 AM

Amazing how peoples path cross,Emcommer my great grand parents lived in Forest Grove, my dad was born in Forest Grove went to Pacific University and still lives there. My uncle was a Science teacher at Mountain Home AFB. JNM76, I retired from the Coast Guard in 2007, last station was Sector New York. Stationed most of my career up in Washington state and other places. Where are you stationed at, and whats your rating?

Old93junk 02-03-2011 11:59 AM

Welcome guys!

Emcommer 02-03-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by kjvforme (Post 9917103)
Amazing how peoples path cross,Emcommer my great grand parents lived in Forest Grove, my dad was born in Forest Grove went to Pacific University and still lives there. My uncle was a Science teacher at Mountain Home AFB. JNM76, I retired from the Coast Guard in 2007, last station was Sector New York. Stationed most of my career up in Washington state and other places. Where are you stationed at, and whats your rating?

I grew up right next to the swimming pool by Pacific U. I loved growing up out there.

Spent my term in Mtn Home (what an arm pit). Got out about 20 years ago.

-Brian