Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   any ecoboost yet? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1035536-any-ecoboost-yet.html)

mikerichmon 02-01-2011 05:59 AM

any ecoboost yet?

Have any shown up yet. I have beeen waiting to pull the trigger on a new
f150 platinum, but would like to drive a ecoboost to decide between it and 5.0

countryboy69 02-01-2011 11:37 AM

our local dealer has 3-4 of them

johndeerefarmer 02-01-2011 01:26 PM

Have you actually saw them in person or are you going by the inventory listed on their website? Inventory means nothing as those trucks are probably still on order.

Ecoboosts were released for shipment last week so their may however be some out.

What is your location?

mikerichmon 02-01-2011 02:08 PM

I am in virginia, none of the dealers have any in stock yet

hsfbfan 02-01-2011 02:10 PM

I checked my local dealer inventory for Ecoboost trucks. Most of them said "Dealer Ordered" but there were some that said "Available in Dealer Stock".

countryboy69 02-01-2011 02:38 PM

they are here. saw with my own 2 eyes. drove one. seems to have good low end torque but i an undecided about it over the 5.0l. didn't drive it long enough to get a good feel for it.

I'm in collingwood ontario

johndeerefarmer 02-01-2011 03:01 PM

Good to know that some have made it to the dealers.

mikerichmon 02-01-2011 03:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. They should show up here soon. I am too undecided till i drive it. My thoughts are going with the 5.0 and puttting on the supercharger to get it to around 500hp, but i want to drive the ecoboost first.

FishOnOne 02-01-2011 03:09 PM

Just a friendly warning - The current 3.7 and 3.5 engines going into Mustangs and Edge's are experiencing cold start up knocking noises. My question to Phil (Ford Engineer)was ignored about these known problems that Ford has not addressed with these engines; therefore I'm questioning if the Ecoboost will suffer from these same problems. I'm not certain the knocking noises is piston slap or from the mechanical bucket lifter arrangement these engine have.

I would research these existing problems thoroughly before jumping on the EcoBoost bandwagon.

johndeerefarmer 02-01-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger (Post 9908132)
Just a friendly warning - The current 3.7 and 3.5 engines going into Mustangs and Edge's are experiencing cold start up knocking noises. My question to Phil (Ford Engineer)was ignored about these known problems that Ford has not addressed with these engines; therefore I'm questioning if the Ecoboost will suffer from these same problems. I'm not certain the knocking noises is piston slap or from the mechanical bucket lifter arrangement these engine have.

I would research these existing problems thoroughly before jumping on the EcoBoost bandwagon.

Looks like everybody's engines knock on cold start up.

3.5 cold start up knocking - Google Search

FI50 02-01-2011 03:22 PM

Do you mean a knock, or tap? Is it the same RPM as the engine, or half speed?

You can see the way the direct action tappets are designed that they could (would) tap. The design simplifies the valve train, yet allows it to be incredibly responsive. The tappets are computer selected during production and my understanding is that they are not intended to be field adjustable.

Guess the camshaft could be pulled and different thickness tappets used, or a spacer ... but, my concern would be more if I had a super quiet engine that burned valves.

FishOnOne 02-01-2011 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer (Post 9908191)

Not everybody's!

FishOnOne 02-01-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by FI50 (Post 9908201)
Do you mean a knock, or tap? Is it the same RPM as the engine, or half speed?

You can see the way the direct action tappets are designed that they could (would) tap. The design simplifies the valve train, yet allows it to be incredibly responsive. The tappets are computer selected during production and my understanding is that they are not intended to be field adjustable.

Guess the camshaft could be pulled and different thickness tappets used, or a spacer ... but, my concern would be more if I had a super quiet engine that burned valves.

I would say both knocking and tapping are appropriate. The sounds vary with external temperature with cold being the worst. Supposedly Ford engineers are sending a tool to the dealers to modify a cam cap to allow better oil flow, but I find this hard to believe it'll fix the problem. Time will tell.

barry1me 02-02-2011 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer (Post 9908191)

I have owned a 2008 Taurus with 80K miles on it....never had one issue with that car 3.5L no ticking or knocking either.

I have a 2010 Taurus right now with the 3.5L 29K miles on it, and not an issue with that either. Car is running flawless

astraelraen 02-02-2011 10:07 AM

I think this cold "knocking" you are referring to is fairly standard on direct injection engines. I owned a Mazda CX7 with the DI turbo engine and it would "knock" when it was cold outside.

If the temperature got below maybe 15-20F it would almost sound like a diesel on startup and before the engine warmed up. It was a fairly common issue that was talked about on forums.

Whether it is good or bad I don't know, I'm no engineer.