Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Getting OIL FILTER off 2010 F150 4.6 V8 2V 4-speed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1032267-getting-oil-filter-off-2010-f150-4-6-v8-2v-4-speed.html)

gregsf150stx 01-22-2011 07:41 PM

Getting OIL FILTER off 2010 F150 4.6 V8 2V 4-speed

I got all psyched up about getting to hopefully change my oil for the first time in my 2010 F150 V8 4.6 2V 4-speed auto.

How in the $&#% are you supposed to get to the OIL FILTER?

i'm looking from a TOP approach where I can clearly see it, but there is no way I can really get my hand down in there far enough to grasp it. Also, there are some hoses and part of the a/c tubing that prevents me getting my hand down in there without putting pressure on them......

So, the underside approach, still difficult (from a laying on the ground standpoint). I can reach up in there and grasp the oil filter, but at that awkward angle, no way I could apply any firm grip or force.

Also, that plastic "oil catching tray" is awkwardly in the way from underneath. you can flex it, but does does no good from underbody.

How should I approach removing this oil filter?

I already the Motocraft oil and th FL820S filter.

I thought about taking it to a local oil change place, and ask them if they'd just charge me for the labor (how much could that be????)

anyone else successfully changed their oil on this engine? If so, what tips/tricks did you use to successfully remove the oil filter?

2010 F150 V8 4.6 2V 4-speed auto.

PS. The oil plug uses a 5/8 wrench. It was pretty obvious where the oil plug was. :-huh

fire240 01-22-2011 07:49 PM

When I changed my oil the first time at home I remember I used a screw driver on it to get enough leverage to turn it. I take the truck to the dealer now and let them change the oil and filter. they charge me 32 and change after everything is said and done which is the going rate in my area for oil changes. But I do remember it sucked no matter which way I tried to get it off.

gregsf150stx 01-22-2011 07:58 PM

I already bought the oil and filter, so maybe I can just ask the dealer what he'd charge just for the labor (or a local tire/lube place).

Couldn't be too much for labor. (if a full oil change is ~ $30.)

Originally Posted by fire240 (Post 9863618)
When I changed my oil the first time at home I remember I used a screw driver on it to get enough leverage to turn it. I take the truck to the dealer now and let them change the oil and filter. they charge me 32 and change after everything is said and done which is the going rate in my area for oil changes. But I do remember it sucked no matter which way I tried to get it off.

fire240 01-22-2011 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by gregsf150stx (Post 9863669)
I already bought the oil and filter, so maybe I can just ask the dealer what he'd charge just for the labor (or a local tire/lube place).

Couldn't be too much for labor. (if a full oil change is ~ $30.)

probably not much depending on where you live. I know that I took mine off from underneath and it is awkward to get to.

juneau76 01-23-2011 06:14 AM

I used one of those Craftsman rubber strap wrenches and I worked from underneath. It is a little awkward to get a good grip on it. Oh, and welcome to FTE.

tseekins 01-23-2011 06:45 AM

It sounds like my '04 Expy with the 4.6L is configured like the your truck.

From underneath, go behind the plastic drip tray, look up and you'll see the base of the filter. Work a flexible head strap wrench between the filter and the drip tray. Move the strap wrench to the base of the filter and turn counter clockwise. Be sure to have a large enough pan to catch the oil from the drip tray and from the filter base as it will leak out both.

After the oil is drained, you can wiggle the filter down the drain trough. Apply some oil to the rubber ring on the new filter and reverse your steps.

When finished, wipe all the old oil from the flat spots on the drip trough, add new oil and your finished. It's a piece of cake I promise.

efx4 01-23-2011 09:55 AM

I like to use a oil filter cap tool that goes on a ratchet. It provides more leverage to remove that tight filter on the first change. It's nice to have some cardboard to help catch any stray oil that always finds it's way where you don't want it to go. Ford is good at making it difficult to get to some of the oil filters on the newer vehicles, and I wish I could be more help on how to get to the filter better, but I have never had a 4.6 F150.

gregsf150stx 01-23-2011 04:58 PM

Got under the hood and under the truck again today.

NO WAY to get to this one from the top. Too many hoses and coils in the way.

Underneath could be done at two approaches. From the front under the air dam I can reach up in there. or behind the tire under the truck.

BUT. that damn oil catch tray is in the way in either position. What good is that thing? It has dips in it that looks like they would hold 1/2 quart of oil. Its suppose to drain down the front, but what happens to that puddle of oil sitting in the back dip of the tray?

I think I'm just gonna try and take that tray off. 2 screws hold it on.
Then, I can just put some plastic wrap around the crossmember, and let the oil drizzle into MY oil pan.

That stupid drip tray has no engineering logic to it (why would it be designed like that where it left a big puddle ((dip)) in the back ? ? ?

tseekins 01-23-2011 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by gregsf150stx (Post 9867339)
Got under the hood and under the truck again today.

NO WAY to get to this one from the top. Too many hoses and coils in the way.

Underneath could be done at two approaches. From the front under the air dam I can reach up in there. or behind the tire under the truck.

BUT. that damn oil catch tray is in the way in either position. What good is that thing? It has dips in it that looks like they would hold 1/2 quart of oil. Its suppose to drain down the front, but what happens to that puddle of oil sitting in the back dip of the tray?

I think I'm just gonna try and take that tray off. 2 screws hold it on.
Then, I can just put some plastic wrap around the crossmember, and let the oil drizzle into MY oil pan.

That stupid drip tray has no engineering logic to it (why would it be designed like that where it left a big puddle ((dip)) in the back ? ? ?

Did you read my post? It's really not as hard as it looks. Yes, it is a little tight but totally doable.

jrank 01-23-2011 07:24 PM

Take the mud deflector under the truck off.It only has 2 bolts that holds it.It only takes about 5 minutes to take it off and put it on.It makes getting to the filter from the bottom easier.

gregsf150stx 01-23-2011 07:29 PM

I think that is referred to as the "air dam".

I was actually inspecting that today as I was seeing if I could somehow stick my hand up under their somehow to grasp the oil filter.

Yep, its held on by two screws..

If I approach it from the front, it is a little easier (not sure whether my head was in front or back of the air dam. Only thing really in the way was that damn oil catch tray. USELESS. I think if I attempt to do this, I'll just remove the oil catch tray. I did find turning the wheel outward give me a little more room to scoot up.

Another use suggested approaching it from the back side of the filter.

i'm determined i'm going to do this myself!! :-arrgh

Originally Posted by jrank (Post 9867930)
Take the mud deflector under the truck off.It only has 2 bolts that holds it.It only takes about 5 minutes to take it off and put it on.It makes getting to the filter from the bottom easier.

sbrider 01-23-2011 07:47 PM

I plan on having the dealer do the first oil change. Let them wrestle with the tight oil filter. After the first, I'll do the rest of the oil changes.

gregsf150stx 01-24-2011 11:56 AM

SOLVED! Oil Filter Off

SOLVED! I took it to a local oil change shop and they did the oil change for $12.00 (LABOR ONLY). Went to FULL synthetic (Castrol EDGE)

the guy changing it said it was a *itch to remove (as are all factory oil filters it seems).. Time he got it off, it was dented alot.

There would have been NO WAY for me to do that, so it was worth $12.

BAD NEWS.........while looking under there looks like I'm leaking transmission fluid. Sort of close to the oil plug but over on the trans side, there is a thin metal plate that shows trans fluid. Not a continual leak, but definately leaking. You can push on the metal plate a little. guy thinks its a bad seal or something? So, I guess on a 2 month old truck my whole transmission's gotta be torn apart!! DAMNIT! I dont have a way to get to work if they keep my truck, and I don't think they give rentals for warranty work. *hit happens I guess.

:-banghead

Originally Posted by sbrider (Post 9868046)
I plan on having the dealer do the first oil change. Let them wrestle with the tight oil filter. After the first, I'll do the rest of the oil changes.

juneau76 01-24-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by gregsf150stx (Post 9870728)
SOLVED! I took it to a local oil change shop and they did the oil change

That is the easiest way for sure.

Originally Posted by gregsf150stx (Post 9870728)
while looking under there looks like I'm leaking transmission fluid.

Sorry to hear about that. Keep us posted on the status. Just an FYI though, the dealer that I bought my car from gives loaners for warranty work. Ford pays for it as part of the warranty payment to the dealer.

yeffy4 01-29-2011 06:41 AM

Take the air dam off its easy to do and it solves all your problems!