Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Zone Off-Road leveling kit w/pictures (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1031866-zone-off-road-leveling-kit-w-pictures.html)

Mr-Pipeline 01-21-2011 04:14 PM

Zone Off-Road leveling kit w/pictures

Just completed the installation of the Zone Off-Road leveling kit on my 2000 F350 V10. The kit claims 2 ½ inches of lift. However, I guess my old gal was sagging with age as I gained about 4 inches of front end lift. The reason I choose this kit over all others was it comes with an adjustable track bar. Most leveling kits only come with a relocation bracket…you have to pay more money for a kit with an adjustable track bar. The price of this kit was almost cheap when compared to other brands kits. Let me know if you have any questions.

After
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=57524

Before
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=14323

Adjustable Track Bar
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=57512

Mini-Pack to the rear
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=57515

Mini-pack on the front side
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=57514

V10ZILLA 01-21-2011 04:43 PM

Really nice set up. Your trucks look great. If you can, what are the current measurments front and rear. From the ground up to the center top of the wheel well.
Are you going to stay with the same size tires or go bigger. I like the look of it with just the kit and your current tire size.

Mr-Pipeline 01-21-2011 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by V10ZILLA (Post 9858513)
Really nice set up. Your trucks look great. If you can, what are the current measurments front and rear. From the ground up to the center top of the wheel well.
Are you going to stay with the same size tires or go bigger. I like the look of it with just the kit and your current tire size.

Measures 43 inches both front and rear. I wasen't looking to make it completely level...was hoping for a little front rake, but it looks good. I might consider Firestone air bags in the rear if it sits too low in the rear when I tow. The tires are 285/75/16 I wasen't planning to go up in tires size because they are almost new. The truck is used mostly for weekend home depot trips and vacation so I tow often. I was thinking about changing the gearing to 4.30 or 4.56 to improve my towing. If I upgrade the gearing I'll probably go with 4.56 to allow for bigger tires when/if I upgrade. Thanks for the compliments!

V10ZILLA 01-21-2011 05:25 PM

My F250 is stock height. If I remember correctly im at 40.50 in the front and 41.00 in the rear with 265/75r18. I was trying to compair the difference. I really like the height you gained I think mine would be the same if I got 285's put on when these stock tires go.

Mike F250 SD 01-21-2011 05:35 PM

Very nice sir

Jackemupjoe 01-21-2011 06:03 PM

looks great, just wondering arent your rear u bolts the wrong way shouldn't the U part be at the bottom of your axle and where the nuts go and plate be up top?

Mr-Pipeline 01-21-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jackemupjoe (Post 9858820)
looks great, just wondering arent your rear u bolts the wrong way shouldn't the U part be at the bottom of your axle and where the nuts go and plate be up top?

No...the bottom shock mount is on the top bracket that held down by the U-bolts. It stock...but sure can change it if there's something better.

Jackemupjoe 01-22-2011 08:58 PM

ok gotcha i cant believe the truck went up that much looks great

Mr-Pipeline 01-22-2011 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jackemupjoe (Post 9864011)
ok gotcha i cant believe the truck went up that much looks great

Thanks, I wasn't looking for that much lift. I tow often and was expecting some forward rack when empty. Oh, still turned out great. Another bonus was the ride...my wife says the ride is smoother then stock. Also, the alignment required new camber adjusters...it really tightened up the steering. Off topic...do you have a close-up of your lights? I'm working on a custom bracket to install 4-50 series KC lights in the front bumper bolting up to the existing holes for the driving lights.

Jackemupjoe 01-22-2011 09:40 PM

Not at the moment ill snap one in the morning and get it up here

Mr-Pipeline 01-22-2011 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jackemupjoe (Post 9864223)
Not at the moment ill snap one in the morning and get it up here

Great, thank you!

knuckleheadnut 04-05-2011 10:45 AM

Mr P- thanks for posting the photos of the 2-1/2" Zone kit. ordered mine today, $295.95 plus $42.71 ship, direct from the factory in MI. all parts made in America, including their shocks. the design of this kit is obviously well thought out. and the adjustable track bar is the heat. after speaking with the company rep (Mike) on the phone, it's easy for me to tell Zone is a top shelf outfit.

I don't know if my PSD is heavier than the V10, but as my truck sits now, it's 3.5" lower, measured from hub centers to wheel well lip. I'm hoping to get no more than 3" increase. But of course, that all depends on how fatigued our springs are when we start. If I get more, no prob. and you will probably see your spring pack sag a little over time. I tow a 9000 lb travel trailer, but it usually only pulls the hitch down an inch or so. We do have an option to air bags by increasing the rear block height to bring the hitch back up so we tow level, but then you have the rake again, just not so bad. and if you have a 2 piece rear axle like I do, the carrier bearing should be dropped 1/4" for each 1" lift in the rear blocks, assuming it's straight to begin with. not neccesary when running the bags.

Of course the air bags are adjustable to get the perfect level depending on payloads (ie Harley) in the bed. and if I towed often, with various loads, I would definitely run them. I had airlift bags on my old F350, and even with the min recommended pressure of 20 psi, they will stiffen up the ride when running unloaded. I'll post my results after install. Plan to run 385/75-17s (33.8X11.3) on 17X8 wheels with 4.5" backspace. should fly, i hope. we'll see.

ghanson 04-05-2011 12:21 PM

That's a great looking lift! I've been looking for a good leveling kit and I'm now seriously considering that one.

knuckleheadnut 04-05-2011 01:32 PM

g- I chose this kit to level my F350 b/c it's affordable, made in America, well designed, has excellent install directions and unmatched customer support. I exhaustively researched all types (shackles, drop brackets, springs, mini blocks, level kits, lift kits...) and ALL manufactures. In the end it was an easy choice! This kit may not provide the optimum in extreme offroad performance while running 39 inch gumbo mudders, but I am convinced it will provide exactly what I need at this point.

I don't have a group of friends who own and modify big trucks and there damn sure are no trust worthy shops I can find in central VA for sound, competent advice. Outlaw Motorsports in Culpepper being the possible exception.

Mr P offered the only input I could find on this forum about Zone's products that was useful. Not one single person answered his query last Oct, but he made his choice and I've made mine. Visit their website (it's the best of all the suspension manufacturers) and give them a call. They actually seem happy to talk to you, unlike most others who appearantly feel your wasting their time. Lastly, they ship factory direct and still offer the lowest prices you will find on their products, unlike the big box retailers who have to sell volume and largely know nothing about there products. I should have an update for you in a couple of weeks latest on my install and wheel/tire change, if you need more input.

MikeMcCasland 04-05-2011 03:34 PM

I've got the exact same kit on my truck. It's held up very well.

Downsea 04-05-2011 05:24 PM

I've dealt with Zone Offroad a few times and can't say enough good things about them. In state shipping was next day the other was second day and it was a late day order.

knuckleheadnut 04-05-2011 06:23 PM

I spoke with Mike on the phone this AM about some questions I had on the 2-1/2" kit, like what the actual thickness of the pack was and it's overall length, then some shock questions, etc. Spent about 15 minutes on the phone with him. Then I placed my order online. Less than one hour later I had an order confirmation via email. Then about 3 hours later I had a shipping invoice via email with UPS tracking numbers. They ship same day if you order before 1:00 PM. Though I was not in a hurry to get parts in hand, it's refreshing to know they actually want my business, and follow that up with expedient shipping.

There are several other companies I have puchased from that also offer excellent shipping such as RiffRaff, Summit and Dieselsite. But considering Zone is factory direct, it's hard to beat. Now if UPS is just up to the task, I'll be a happy camper.

twall_SD250 04-05-2011 09:23 PM

Mr. P how was the install on that kit i have been looking at the same exact kit all winter long. just didnt know anyone who had it , now that i knowsomeone who has it and likes the ride im gonna order it this week. i have X code springs so my truck sits level right now so im gonna put that up front and f350 blocks in the rear to level it back off

Mr-Pipeline 04-05-2011 09:44 PM

I didn't do the install...my wife had the install included in the package deal, it was my Christmas gift. I told her if they would install it for $150 or less...then let them do it! That didn't include the alignment after the install. Had the install price been higher I would have installed it myself. Not much to it! As stated earlier in this post, my wife says it rides smoother then before? The alignment really was the icing on the cake! It really tightened up the steering and now it goes straight down the road...no steering adjustments needed!

Mr-Pipeline 04-05-2011 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by knuckleheadnut (Post 10183847)
g- I chose this kit to level my F350 b/c it's affordable, made in America, well designed, has excellent install directions and unmatched customer support. I exhaustively researched all types (shackles, drop brackets, springs, mini blocks, level kits, lift kits...) and ALL manufactures. In the end it was an easy choice! This kit may not provide the optimum in extreme offroad performance while running 39 inch gumbo mudders, but I am convinced it will provide exactly what I need at this point.

I don't have a group of friends who own and modify big trucks and there damn sure are no trust worthy shops I can find in central VA for sound, competent advice. Outlaw Motorsports in Culpepper being the possible exception.

Mr P offered the only input I could find on this forum about Zone's products that was useful. Not one single person answered his query last Oct, but he made his choice and I've made mine. Visit their website (it's the best of all the suspension manufacturers) and give them a call. They actually seem happy to talk to you, unlike most others who appearantly feel your wasting their time. Lastly, they ship factory direct and still offer the lowest prices you will find on their products, unlike the big box retailers who have to sell volume and largely know nothing about there products. I should have an update for you in a couple of weeks latest on my install and wheel/tire change, if you need more input.

You're very welcome! I was surprised by the low response I received from the FTE brothers when I first inquired about the Zone Off-Road leveling kit. I'm not sure if no one was familair with the product or what? It's one of the least expensive leveling kits you can buy and it comes with an adjustable track bar! Like yourself...I think I purchased the best product on the market...and it was the least expensive.

knuckleheadnut 04-05-2011 10:33 PM

Mr Pipeline- there are some slightly cheaper mini packs ie, Icon $230 (a glorified block) and cheaper yet options like extended shackles (not the safest) and add-a-leafs (much harsher ride). but unless you need 4" plus in the front (full spring set), these are the way to go. Like you said- they're a combination of mini pack and add-a-leaf, but when installed, behave much like a whole new spring pack.

Were you having alignment/camber issues before the spring packs went in. A mild lift, even a serious lift, should not cause alignment problems if properly installed. It could, however, exagerrate them. What exactly did you have adjusted and how? Did you have shims installed?

Mr-Pipeline 04-06-2011 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by knuckleheadnut (Post 10186242)
Mr Pipeline- there are some slightly cheaper mini packs ie, Icon $230 (a glorified block) and cheaper yet options like extended shackles (not the safest) and add-a-leafs (much harsher ride). but unless you need 4" plus in the front (full spring set), these are the way to go. Like you said- they're a combination of mini pack and add-a-leaf, but when installed, behave much like a whole new spring pack.

Were you having alignment/camber issues before the spring packs went in. A mild lift, even a serious lift, should not cause alignment problems if properly installed. It could, however, exagerrate them. What exactly did you have adjusted and how? Did you have shims installed?

Well…I had an alignment about a year ago and the camber/caster was border-line. The shop decided for me that it was good enough and I didn’t want to spend the money for the new bushings. That was after I told them to “do it right” I was looking to improve the trucks drivability. I didn’t attempt another alignment to explore if improvement was possible. The shop that installed the leveling kit basically said it was needed after raising the truck and new track bar installation would change the camber/caster angle. I’ve heard others on this forum state an alignment wasn’t needed with a leveling kit, but I sure observed improvement with the alignment following the leveling kit installation. The adjustment needed exceeded the bushings in the truck and new bushing with more adjustment was needed. Sorry for the vague answer…I couldn’t find the repair bill to identify the parts replaced.

knuckleheadnut 04-07-2011 07:56 AM

thanks, I would agree that a correctly installed engineered and installed lift DOES NOT cause alignment problems in MONOBEAM suspensions. If the axle drops straight down the neither is changed. The increase in driveshaft input angle is compensated by the universal joint and the increased distance between the differential output and axle is made up by the slip joint shaft. Thus the camber doesn't change. If say, only drop shackes were put on the rear of a leaf spring, without a drop bracket at the front, then positive caster would be induced, and shimming required. And many other issues with lift kits can create alignment issues. Also, independent sprung suspensions will definitely require caster correction.

That being said- most Ford trucks (I've owned 4) are notorious for alignment issues and it is generally sound practice to have them checked/aligned regularly and especially when suspension changes are made. Trick is, finding a shop that can actually do it correctly. If you find improvement in tire wear and handling, you have gotten a good alignment job. Thanks for your reply.

knuckleheadnut 04-10-2011 09:55 PM

another Zone level installed

1 Attachment(s)
I just installed Zone Offroad's 2-1/2" front end leveling kit on my '02 F350 PSD. Truck had the typical front end sag we have all seen. Original factory front leaves, V code, 5200#, stamped ADB, basically sat flat across the axle with little or no upward arch. Original 3-3/4" rear blocks. Front was down 3-1/2" as compared to the rear, measured from axle center straight up to lip of wheel well. Leveling kit install raised front suspension 3-1/4" as it sits now. May settle a little in the near future, but will pretty much be set with a solid 3" lift. Ride and handling seems about the same so far. Just a little "loose" going in the corners because the increased center of gravity under the 850+ pound engine.

1 floor jack and 2 stands, 5 hours. Probably used more of a variety of wrenches on this job than I have nearly any other. Track bar end bolts=30mm, captive nut. Track bar adjust bolts=21mm, nuts=3/4. Adjustable track bar that came with kit set within 1/8" of it's shortest length. Drag ling nuts=15mm, captive bolt head. About 2-3/4 turns out to center steering wheel.

I previously posted on this thread that kit was "Made in America" as it states on Zone's website, but springs were clearly labeled made in Canada. No biggy, but Zone needs to change their website. The quality and fitment is excellent. Grade 8 fasteners. English is the national language there (probably more so than here) and I have fought alongside them. Last I heard they still hold longest sniper kill shot. Should be fine (];-\>

ghanson 04-10-2011 10:41 PM

Tire size

The site says that 33"x12.50" is the max tire size with the leveling kit. What size tires are you planning on running now? I'm looking at getting this kit for my truck but I was hoping I could squeeze some 35's on once it's lifted. How much clearance is there with the kit on?

BigPigDaddy 04-10-2011 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by ghanson (Post 10206053)
The site says that 33"x12.50" is the max tire size with the leveling kit. What size tires are you planning on running now? I'm looking at getting this kit for my truck but I was hoping I could squeeze some 35's on once it's lifted. How much clearance is there with the kit on?

I have stock suspension and fit 34" (305/70R16) tires on stock wheels with no rubbing at all. I don't know why you couldn't fit 35" tires with this level kit. You can check my garage for pics of mine.

ghanson 04-10-2011 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy (Post 10206123)
I have stock suspension and fit 34" tires on stock wheels with no rubbing at all. I don't know why you couldn't fit 35" tires with this level kit. You can check my gallery for pics of mine.

Awesome! I may have to go even bigger then! Thanks for the help. I'll check out your pictures. Are yours 305/75R16's or 315/75R16's?

MikeMcCasland 04-11-2011 03:13 AM

315/75/16 tires work with this exact kit. See my truck on BFGs and stock Lariat rims.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/439bf40d.jpg

knuckleheadnut 04-11-2011 06:49 AM

I've got the nittos that are in my sig sitting in the garage. they were going to go on yesterday, but it didn't happen. they are 33.8X11.3 on 17s with 4.5" backspace wheels. so I can tell you more in a couple of days. However, I know lift kits change specs between 03 and 04 models, but I don't know what the diff is.

Most of the supension lift sites start out recommending the 33X12.5 with a mild lift, then they go 35X12.5, etc... each time you go up. THE MOST signigicant factor when trying to fit larger rims and tires is the offset of the wheel. Clearance issues will usually first arise by rubbing on suspension components in turns (too small of a backspace or too wide of a tire), then if you clear the suspension they can still rub on the bumper or inner fender (too tall, not enough lift). Any lift/tire conversations are mute if you don't consider backspace (or offset as it compares to the stockers). When someone states well I run 35" blah blah 12.5 blah blahs, it doesn't mean jack unless you know what the offset of the wheel is and EXACTLY what the susp set up is. If I wanted to squeeze the absolutely biggest tire on my rig I could, I would beg someone with the same combo to let me try 2 of theirs on the front of mine. Or find a rig with exactly the identical setup and ask how they run.

I'll update my fitment on this thread this week when I get my tires/wheels mounted. So subscribe so you will see it.

knuckleheadnut 04-11-2011 06:59 AM

the minimum recommended rim width for 315X16s is 8". If those stock wheel are 7", then you have effectively reduced the load capacity of the tire (no big deal if you don't tow), but you will also wear the tires faster (-10,000 miles or so) and they will be more prone to cupping. Sure they fit, many people run that combo, but it is not ideal. Also, fitting wide tires on smaller than recommended width wheels can induce handling issues (ie... "wobble").

But at least we know they fit. and both of you have 250s while I'm working on a 350. I think the 250s are hung with leafs and coils aren't they. vice just leafs on 350s?

BigPigDaddy 04-11-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by knuckleheadnut (Post 10206730)
But at least we know they fit. and both of you have 250s while I'm working on a 350. I think the 250s are hung with leafs and coils aren't they. vice just leafs on 350s?

No. The F250 and F350 suspensions are identical in every way with the exception of the rear axle block height, which is about 2" taller on a F350.

:-X22

AMB_F-150 05-07-2011 12:03 AM

I installed this leveling kit (Zone Off-Road 2 1/2") on my 04 F350 today. It took me a good portion of the day doing it by myself, but everything came together just fine. Aside from the leveling kit I threw in 4 Zone shocks and their steering stabilizer. My pre-leveled measurements were around 27 3/4" on the RR/LR, and 24 3/4" on the RF/LF. After the install I was about 27 3/4" all the way around. Really like the look/stance and the ride is nice as well. All 4 of my shocks were toast, including the steering stabilizer so I had alot to gain aside from the leveling. Really happy with the product. I will add a couple before and after pictures when I get a chance.

Before https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=69493

After https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=69494

BIG POPPA 5 05-08-2011 01:49 AM

I FOUND A NEWTON LEVELING KIT ON EBAY 3" CAME WITH EVERY THING INCLUDING TRACK BAR SPACERS. NO PROBLEMS HAS BEEN ON MY TRUCK FOR 6 MONTHS NO COMPLAINTS. I WAS FIXIN TO BUY IT FROM MANUFACTURER BUT FOUND IT ON CRAIGSLIST THAT MORNING FOR A STEAL. LOOKS TO BE THE SAME EXCEPT FOR ADJUSTABLE TRACK BAR. LEAF PACKS AND ALL! PUT IT ON 04 F350 4X4 PSD CC LWB, MY TRUCK HAD A SEVERE RAKE TO FRONT END COMPARED TO MY BUDDIES FX4 F250 BUT NOW ITS LEVEL. I WAS ABLE TO FIT A SET OF TOYO 325/65/18'S HAD TO DO A LITTLE TRIMMING OF THE PLASTIC BUMPER TRIM. RIDES AND LOOKS AWSOME!

BigPigDaddy 05-08-2011 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by AMB_F-150 (Post 10311255)
I installed this leveling kit (Zone Off-Road 2 1/2") on my 04 F350 today. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=69494

That looks very good! :-drink

Mustang6147 05-08-2011 02:10 PM

My son and I put the exact same kit in his 01 PSD. Great kit, and I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

Sand_Man 05-09-2011 11:45 PM

Just wondering if you noticed any drop in MPG's. I read in one of the off-road mags that a leveling kit will drop the MPG's about 1.5 mpg due to airflow under the truck. I'd like to lift my truck ('04 CC V10) but not really willing to pay for it every fill up.

AMB_F-150 05-10-2011 07:07 AM

I haven't really looked into that. I believe I have heard that before as well from somewhere. I'm thinking it has more to do with 1/2 ton pickups. I don't think our trucks are super aero-dynamic to begin with haha. I Find it hard to determine my actual mileage because when I fill the pump stops at different points....then if I top off I can always throw in a couple extra gallons once the diesel settles. Anyways, no obvious drop in MPG thus far.

mwsF250 05-10-2011 12:12 PM

The magazine was correct. MPG will drop for the reason listed. Maybe only 1 mpg due to the aerodynamics being so poor to begin with. Add in the extra windage due to wider/taller tires (the reason most of us level to begin with!) and it can be as much as 2 or 3 mpg total. It hurts, but the second I pull out on the sand with the trailer and just cruise where so many sink, it all comes back to me why I put up with it.

cmullins 05-10-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sand_Man (Post 10322183)
Just wondering if you noticed any drop in MPG's. I read in one of the off-road mags that a leveling kit will drop the MPG's about 1.5 mpg due to airflow under the truck. I'd like to lift my truck ('04 CC V10) but not really willing to pay for it every fill up.

Fairly recent 4" lift and no change in fuel economy. I have not changed the tires out yet. I expect to go a little larger but will also gear when I do that. Should be an interesting experiment.

Mas360 05-10-2011 05:58 PM

Is there any difference between a body lift kit and the leveling kit you all are discussing?

I have a set of 20" rim wheels, which came with the vehicle when I bought it. These wheels look good but the front tires would rub on frame and limit the turn radius. I just replaced them with the OEM 16" tires. The truck is now rather low but it rides much better and most of all I am now able to back up my travel trailer without much effort thanks to the tires not rubbing on frame.

If I lift the body, do you think I can put the 20" wheels back on? how much of a lift does it take to do it?

Is this kit the same animal as the Zone kit you are talking about?

http://maxx-lift.com/3-inch-maxx-lif...rucks-4x4.html

Thanks