Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Zone Off-Road leveling kit w/pictures (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1031866-zone-off-road-leveling-kit-w-pictures.html)

BigPigDaddy 04-11-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by knuckleheadnut (Post 10206730)
But at least we know they fit. and both of you have 250s while I'm working on a 350. I think the 250s are hung with leafs and coils aren't they. vice just leafs on 350s?

No. The F250 and F350 suspensions are identical in every way with the exception of the rear axle block height, which is about 2" taller on a F350.

:-X22

AMB_F-150 05-07-2011 12:03 AM

I installed this leveling kit (Zone Off-Road 2 1/2") on my 04 F350 today. It took me a good portion of the day doing it by myself, but everything came together just fine. Aside from the leveling kit I threw in 4 Zone shocks and their steering stabilizer. My pre-leveled measurements were around 27 3/4" on the RR/LR, and 24 3/4" on the RF/LF. After the install I was about 27 3/4" all the way around. Really like the look/stance and the ride is nice as well. All 4 of my shocks were toast, including the steering stabilizer so I had alot to gain aside from the leveling. Really happy with the product. I will add a couple before and after pictures when I get a chance.

Before https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=69493

After https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=69494

BIG POPPA 5 05-08-2011 01:49 AM

I FOUND A NEWTON LEVELING KIT ON EBAY 3" CAME WITH EVERY THING INCLUDING TRACK BAR SPACERS. NO PROBLEMS HAS BEEN ON MY TRUCK FOR 6 MONTHS NO COMPLAINTS. I WAS FIXIN TO BUY IT FROM MANUFACTURER BUT FOUND IT ON CRAIGSLIST THAT MORNING FOR A STEAL. LOOKS TO BE THE SAME EXCEPT FOR ADJUSTABLE TRACK BAR. LEAF PACKS AND ALL! PUT IT ON 04 F350 4X4 PSD CC LWB, MY TRUCK HAD A SEVERE RAKE TO FRONT END COMPARED TO MY BUDDIES FX4 F250 BUT NOW ITS LEVEL. I WAS ABLE TO FIT A SET OF TOYO 325/65/18'S HAD TO DO A LITTLE TRIMMING OF THE PLASTIC BUMPER TRIM. RIDES AND LOOKS AWSOME!

BigPigDaddy 05-08-2011 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by AMB_F-150 (Post 10311255)
I installed this leveling kit (Zone Off-Road 2 1/2") on my 04 F350 today. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=69494

That looks very good! :-drink

Mustang6147 05-08-2011 02:10 PM

My son and I put the exact same kit in his 01 PSD. Great kit, and I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

Sand_Man 05-09-2011 11:45 PM

Just wondering if you noticed any drop in MPG's. I read in one of the off-road mags that a leveling kit will drop the MPG's about 1.5 mpg due to airflow under the truck. I'd like to lift my truck ('04 CC V10) but not really willing to pay for it every fill up.

AMB_F-150 05-10-2011 07:07 AM

I haven't really looked into that. I believe I have heard that before as well from somewhere. I'm thinking it has more to do with 1/2 ton pickups. I don't think our trucks are super aero-dynamic to begin with haha. I Find it hard to determine my actual mileage because when I fill the pump stops at different points....then if I top off I can always throw in a couple extra gallons once the diesel settles. Anyways, no obvious drop in MPG thus far.

mwsF250 05-10-2011 12:12 PM

The magazine was correct. MPG will drop for the reason listed. Maybe only 1 mpg due to the aerodynamics being so poor to begin with. Add in the extra windage due to wider/taller tires (the reason most of us level to begin with!) and it can be as much as 2 or 3 mpg total. It hurts, but the second I pull out on the sand with the trailer and just cruise where so many sink, it all comes back to me why I put up with it.

cmullins 05-10-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sand_Man (Post 10322183)
Just wondering if you noticed any drop in MPG's. I read in one of the off-road mags that a leveling kit will drop the MPG's about 1.5 mpg due to airflow under the truck. I'd like to lift my truck ('04 CC V10) but not really willing to pay for it every fill up.

Fairly recent 4" lift and no change in fuel economy. I have not changed the tires out yet. I expect to go a little larger but will also gear when I do that. Should be an interesting experiment.

Mas360 05-10-2011 05:58 PM

Is there any difference between a body lift kit and the leveling kit you all are discussing?

I have a set of 20" rim wheels, which came with the vehicle when I bought it. These wheels look good but the front tires would rub on frame and limit the turn radius. I just replaced them with the OEM 16" tires. The truck is now rather low but it rides much better and most of all I am now able to back up my travel trailer without much effort thanks to the tires not rubbing on frame.

If I lift the body, do you think I can put the 20" wheels back on? how much of a lift does it take to do it?

Is this kit the same animal as the Zone kit you are talking about?

http://maxx-lift.com/3-inch-maxx-lif...rucks-4x4.html

Thanks

Sand_Man 05-11-2011 12:16 AM

I had a truck with a body lift and wouldn't do it again. While the look was OK, I didn't like the frame hanging down, the step bars no longer were tucked up nicely, the front tow hooks had to be cut off (they were attached to the frame and therefore didn't line up with the holes in the bumper anymore) and after about 6 months, one of the bed spacers broke and fell out, leaving no support in the middle. I'd think long and hard about it if I were you.

Mas360 05-11-2011 12:31 AM

Sandman,
Thanks for the advice.
So, I guess from your reply the body lift is different than the leveling kit?
Would the leveling kit help raise both body and frame?

Sorry to ask these dumb questions. I am a newbie with this lift modification.

BIG POPPA 5 05-11-2011 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sand_Man (Post 10322183)

WELL I'VE HAD MY F350 W/ A 3" NEWTON LEVELING KIT ON IT FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHES AND I'M STILL RIGHT AT 14.5 AND 15 MPG. BUT I THINK IF I DID LOSE A MILE OR TWO PER GALLON I WOULD STILL DO IT, BUT THATS JUST ME...WHAT IS IT THEY SAY "A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE SOON PARTED" HAHA! I JUST LIKE WHAT I LIKE AND DON'T MIND PAYIN A LIL EXTRA FOR IT! BUT GOOD LUCK W/ WHAT EVER U DECIDE... OH YEAH I ALSO WENT FROM 33'S TO 35'S (TOYO OPEN COUNTRY 325/65/18) AT THE SAME TIME! NO NOTICABLE CHANGE...

BigPigDaddy 05-11-2011 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mas360 (Post 10326641)
So, I guess from your reply the body lift is different than the leveling kit?

Would the leveling kit help raise both body and frame?

A body lift spaces the body up from the frame. A leveling kit spaces the axle down from the front leaf springs, basically raising everything above the axle (frame and body).

That wasn't a dumb question. There are plenty of dumb questions out there, but that wasn't one of them. :-X04

Mas360 05-11-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy (Post 10329274)
A body lift spaces the body up from the frame. A leveling kit spaces the axle down from the front leaf springs, basically raising everything above the axle (frame and body).

That wasn't a dumb question. There are plenty of dumb questions out there, but that wasn't one of them. :-X04

Does that mean the leveling kit also raises the engine 2 1/2" higher than original? if it does, that is the one I am looking for. It is no fun to change oil with the front end as low as it is now.

Why does Ford design the front end to be lower than the back end to begin with? is it to lower manufacture cost?