Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Complete front suspension rebuild -Question?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1029435-complete-front-suspension-rebuild-question.html)

Sako 75 01-14-2011 03:28 PM

Complete front suspension rebuild -Question??

Some of you guys know that I was having a camber issue a few weeks back. And, some of you may have picked up on the IWE question I had the other day. Well, at 180,000+ miles, I have decided to do a rebuild on the front end. I am gathering parts and have conflicting information on the availabilty of lower control arm bushings. I have found some posts here on FTE that suggest an aftermarket LCA bushing kit is available. Can anyone confirm this?
:confused:

So far I have picked up (or ordered)
*new Integrated Wheel Ends
*Upper Control Arms
*Lower Ball Joints
*Lower Contol Arm Cam Bolts.
*Sway Bar Links

I can't find
*Lower Control Arm Bushings. Don"t want to have to replace the arm.
*Sway Bar Bushings.
:confused:

Recently Replaced
*Strut Cartridges (@175,000)
*Tires (@ 175,000)
*Hub Assemblys (@140,000)
*Driver Side Inner Tie Tod End (@110,000)
:-blah:-blah:-blah:-blah

Any warnings or suggestions? If anyone knows anything about LCA bushings - please chime in.

Thanks,

Bob

Sako 75 01-14-2011 07:08 PM

Gurus, seniors ---???

Greg B 01-14-2011 07:11 PM

Somebody has to make LCA bushings for our trucks. TRW either makes them or buys them from somewhere. Ford might have sway bar bushings.

Ryan50hrl 01-14-2011 07:16 PM

Energy suspension makes poly bushings if you want to go that route......

Ryan50hrl 01-14-2011 07:18 PM

I know there had been talk about the inability to keep pressed bushings into the aluminum tight, which is why you may be having a hard time finding them.....

Sako 75 01-14-2011 07:27 PM

Thanks for chiminig in guys. Will look around.

Sako 75 01-14-2011 07:58 PM

I really appreciate you guys chiming in. I am still looking.

Sako 75 01-15-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl (Post 9825648)
Energy suspension makes poly bushings if you want to go that route......

Ryan,

Found it.

Energy Suspension 4.18125 Hyperflex Master Kit - Ford F150 - 2WD and 4WD

Thanks
:-X25

Sako 75 01-21-2011 04:44 PM

It is done! Other issues found and fixed.

Broke every thing down on the drivers side and found the upper mounting bracket for the front differential had a weld failure. The diff was just hanging there. Broke down the passenger side and replaced everything I could without interfering with the differential drop. Removed the differential, had a few shots of Mr. J. W. Blue and went to bed.

This morning I welded the bracket back on - tested the weld with a floor jack. All was good, but I knew that lining up "that" particular bolt was going to be a pain - - and it was. Keep in mind - I am doing this by myself - I am sore from yesterday - and, it is 25 degrees outside. It took 3 hours to get the diff bolted in (the bracket was distorted a bit, and of course that bolt is the most difficult to get to.)

I got everything back together and torqued to spec. Took her for a test drive and, I still love this truck. What a great feeling - a new front suspension in a truck with a whole bunch of miles on her.

Here is what I did:

*New upper control arms - bushings, ball joints.
*New lower control arm bushings.
*New lower control arm adjustable cam bolts
*New lower ball joints.
*New sway bar bushings.
*New sway bar end links
*New outer tie rod ends.
*New IWE actuators.
*New gear oil.
*Oil & filter change.
*Rotate tires.
*Clean throttle body.
*Thrust angle alignment.

$700.00 in parts and consumables.

I am happy as a clam. If I get another 180k out of this front end - I would consider it to be a good investment of time and frustration.

Greg B 01-21-2011 07:02 PM

Glad you got it all fixed again. Should drive like a new truck again. Sure beats laying out the price for a new truck. And that's as good of reason as any to have a few shots of J.W. Blue.

tcja 03-26-2014 09:23 AM

where did you find adjustable lca cam bolts?

1saxman 03-26-2014 02:52 PM

Good job! You saved yourself probably $1500 labor.