Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   repaced one IWE (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1026761-repaced-one-iwe.html)

URDADDY 01-06-2011 06:58 PM

repaced one IWE

OK, so I replace the drivers side IWE tonight. (was a pretty easy job btw) but I still have the grinding when I put the truck in 4X4. I did notice while i had the truck up and was changing the IWE that when I turned the wheel I could hear a clanking up higher where it connects up. what other 4x4 componets are up there. What should I look into next?

2005 ford F150 crew cab. 5.4L

URDADDY 01-06-2011 10:03 PM

come on guys, I know someone at least has an idea. I really dont want to go to the stealership.

xjcamaro89 01-07-2011 09:08 AM

CV joint?

If you have the front of the truck jacked up and turn the truck on, then spin each front wheel, does the halfshafts spin with the wheel? They shouldnt if your IWE system is working correctly.

Does the "clanking" occur no matter what while you have the 4WD on, or is it only at certain RPMS, or speed, or gear?

URDADDY 01-07-2011 10:44 AM

I only had the drivers side jacked up and when i spun the wheel the halgshaft did spin. The clanking starts as soon as 4x4 is engaged and doesnt matter what speed or gear. It actually felt like it was starting to bind up when I tried it last night.

xjcamaro89 01-07-2011 10:55 AM

Might be the CV, but also if the IWE system is working correctly and in 2WD, with the truck running, and front jacked up, if you spin the tire the half shaft should not spin with it. If it does then something in the IWE system is still not working correctly. And until the IWE system is fixed and working correctly, you can not rule out that clanking isnt the IWEs. I would read my thread about the IWE, get a vacuum guage and start testing everything, get the IWE system working properly. Once that is done then see if you have the clanking still. At that point then you might want to check out your CV joints (unless you can physically see a problem with the CV)

But still if your telling me the halfshaft is spinning with the wheel in 2WD then something else is not right with the IWE system.

Here is the link to the thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...then-some.html

URDADDY 01-07-2011 11:52 AM

I didnt have the truck running so of course the halfshaft spun when i spun the tire. I looked at the CV joints and nothing was obvious. I did stop by the stealership and they think it could be the transfer case??? But they cant really take a look at it until Wed. And at $80 an hour. I believe the IWE system is functioning correctly as the 4x4 does engage and all 4 tires do spin hust the nasy noise which seems to be coming from directly in the middle of the front end.

xjcamaro89 01-07-2011 11:59 AM

Yes, if the truck was not on then the halfshafts would turn with the wheel. Does it make the noise even when your not moving? Stopped?

URDADDY 01-07-2011 12:31 PM

Havent tried that, will see and post the results.

xjcamaro89 01-07-2011 12:34 PM

Have you run your 4WD on dry surfaces? i guess other than having someone look into the transfer case, check the universals on the front drive shaft.

URDADDY 01-07-2011 01:58 PM

OK, took it down the alley (dirt) engaged 4x4 and the clanking was there. Came to a stop and the noise went away. So it only occurs when the truck is moving.

xjcamaro89 01-08-2011 08:02 PM

Well sound like short of opening the Transfer case and front diff, you could check the universals on the front drive shaft. I dont thing there is anything else left to check without tearing something apart.

URDADDY 01-12-2011 07:17 PM

dealer

Well I dropped of my truck at the dealership this morning to find out what is going on with the 4 wheel drive. I wanted to post what I have learned because there seem to be a lot that are having 4X4 issues.
I had already replaced the IWE actuator on the drivers side which made no difference. Dealership gave me this description over the phone and my truck will be ready tomorrow. They said the pinion was coming out of the rear of the differential from a worn bearing or bushing. All they have to do is replace this bushing or bearing and tighten everything back up and Im ready to go. Under $200 fix.

Oh they also said I did a good job on the actuator replacement.:-yeahrigh

xjcamaro89 01-12-2011 07:48 PM

Do you mean the pinion in the front differential? If yes, then that sounds right, only making the noise when its in 4WD. Glad to hear its fairly inexpensive and nothing extremely major.

URDADDY 01-12-2011 07:51 PM

Yes I believe thats exactly what he said. Thanks for all the help.

xjcamaro89 01-12-2011 07:54 PM

No problem. At least you got that bad IWE taken care of too.