Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealant???? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1026743-blue-devil-head-gasket-sealant.html)

mr.fordneck 01-06-2011 06:29 PM

Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealant????

I have a 90 302 with a blown head gasket (milky oil, some smoke). Anyhow, I heard about this product but was skeptical about it. Has anyone used this before and if so how did it work out? Should I try it? I have money to replace the gasket but am throwing down a lot for a new diff so I don't want to spend a lot more.

nflfreak43 01-06-2011 06:49 PM

just fix it yourself, a 1 maybe 2 weekend job depending on some things, bout 120 bucks for parts and supplies and your good...

Hotshot869 01-06-2011 08:01 PM

yeah dude, just repair the head gasket yourself, if you keep at it, it can be done and driving within 2-3 days or if your a trooper 1-2. ^_^ don't use head gasket sealant because the head gasket is already blown.

CJM8515 01-06-2011 08:32 PM

snake oil, it dont work.

kevin206 01-06-2011 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by CJM8515 (Post 9786425)
snake oil, it dont work.

I have a mechanic friend with a blown head gasket on his aerostar. He thought he would give that stuff a try for the $50 or so it cost. He tried it, it didn't work. He called customer support, They asked if he followed the directions EXACTLY. He followed them pretty close, but not exactly. They sent him out another can and said that it was very important to follow the directions EXACTLY. He tried again and followed the directions exactly. It worked! That's been about two years ago. He keeps driving it but knows that it needs to be fixed correctly. I think a valve seat or something got taken out when the gasket blew. He keeps running it with one dead cylinder.

timbersteel 01-06-2011 09:25 PM

I wouldn't use it unless time and/or money was a factor. Even if the product works, you are runing on borrowed time. Worse case scenario is you damage more in the long run.

I agree with others' concerns.

mr.fordneck 01-06-2011 09:48 PM

just repair the head gasket yourself, if you keep at it, it can be done and driving within 2-3 days or if your a trooper 1-2. ^_^

Is that a hard job. I've never repaired anything that in depth before plus its EFI so I'm worried bout breaking something but I don't wanna pay my mechanic a grand to do it

timbersteel 01-06-2011 11:33 PM

If you can determine which head it is, you will be in better shape. If it's the driver side head, it's easier to get at than the passenger side. Either way you will have to remove the intake, manifold, valve covers, the AC, alt. If you have 1-3 days to do the work, it's far cheaper. If not, call around several shops to get an estimate for repair.

Hotshot869 01-07-2011 03:34 AM

it really isn't "hard" but it's time consuming and you MUST! MUST MUST MUST!!!! keep everything in order as to where it goes, get lil baggies and label EVERYTHING! haha no joke. we repaired my friends 350 head gasket and he didn't keep order...hell of a time trying to fix everything..anyways, like timbersteel said, you will have to completely remove the head, so the intake, valve covers, AC, Alt, Plenum, all must go. if you can figure out which side is blown, it'll be a ton more easier. just remember you got this, it's nothing major hard, just time consuming. take it slow and you'll be fine

nflfreak43 01-07-2011 06:28 AM

biggest thing is to keep track of everything. thats a huge role in this..

CJM8515 01-07-2011 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by kevin206 (Post 9786631)
I have a mechanic friend with a blown head gasket on his aerostar. He thought he would give that stuff a try for the $50 or so it cost. He tried it, it didn't work. He called customer support, They asked if he followed the directions EXACTLY. He followed them pretty close, but not exactly. They sent him out another can and said that it was very important to follow the directions EXACTLY. He tried again and followed the directions exactly. It worked! That's been about two years ago. He keeps driving it but knows that it needs to be fixed correctly. I think a valve seat or something got taken out when the gasket blew. He keeps running it with one dead cylinder.

And that there is why its snake oil

lew52 01-07-2011 11:07 AM

Replace both head gaskets while its apart , you don't want to do it again , ..