Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Distributor Won't Turn '78 F350 351 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1025365-distributor-wont-turn-78-f350-351-a.html)

therealulysses 01-02-2011 05:13 PM

Distributor Won't Turn '78 F350 351

My timing is a little off but I can't get my distributor to turn (351, F350, '78). I loosened the distributor holding bolt and sprayed some stuff in there that's supposed to free stuck parts, ran the engine until it was warmed up good, tapped on the distributor, and tried prying upwards a little bit. Is there any chance that there is more than one bolt holding it in place? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Action4478 01-02-2011 05:25 PM

Just one bolt .The dist, is aluminum & the engine is cast . Dis similar metals will cause corrosion every time , keep soaking it ...

impalaslayer 01-02-2011 05:52 PM

dissimilar metal corrosion. happened on my bronco, i tried heating the engine with a torch, no dice. i ended up heating the actual dist to get it to expanded and break free while i turned it with a wrench. once you get it free, pull it all the way out, clean the bore and dizz real good and put a new o ring on it with some anti seize.

LongTravelHighboy 01-02-2011 07:53 PM

I have the same situation and my truck started backfiring through the carb and i think its due to the timing being off but cant adjust the distributor. What do yall suggest to use to help it break loose?

"Top Fuel" Bender 01-02-2011 08:47 PM

I actually like using Mopar rust penatrant
Marvel mystery oil works pretty good too
Like said above
keeping soaking (may take a few days)
light tapping with a hammer, some heat on the block (spray w/ penatrant , watch not to burn the truck down)
hand wire brush anywhere you can get it
lot easier to take your time then picking broken parts out of the oil pan

78 PEB 01-02-2011 11:59 PM

Aero Kroil is the best rust dissolver I have found in 25+ years as a Heavy equipment mechanic. Google it and you should be able to find it. Its made by Kano Labs and is not sold in stores. You have to order it from them. It's kinda pricey but well worth it and a can goes a long way. Its available in either aerosol or gallon cans. And no I don't work for them. I just really like their product. I use nothing else. (Unless I run out of it then the first thing I do is order more.)

"Top Fuel" Bender 01-03-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 78 PEB (Post 9768583)
Aero Kroil is the best rust dissolver

That stuff is awesome
I really wondered if they make the mopar stuff , it smells looks works and tastes the same

78 PEB 01-03-2011 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by "Top Fuel" Bender (Post 9769507)

That stuff is awesome
I really wondered if they make the mopar stuff , it smells looks works and tastes the same

You drink oil too????? LOL I've never tried the mopar stuff but have used aero kroil for years best stuff on the planet......... Just a little side story.....I worked in a military shop in Iraq for 2 years one time........Being a smoker, I cant smell auto trans fluid to tell if it is burned, so I taste it. All the guys in the shop used to get a real kick out of watching me lick the dipstick out of HUMVEES to see if the oil was burnt..............

OrangeJuice 01-03-2011 09:41 AM

I had a similar problem when I tried to pull a distributor out of an FE 390. It would not budge at all. I was tearing down this 390 and the only way I could pull it out was to remove the bolts to the intake, loosened it a bit then it popped right out. It was no biggie if you have to tear it down. The distributor hole in the front of the intake must have been a little too tight of a fit for easy removal.

OJ

therealulysses 01-05-2011 10:07 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great tips. If the stuff I'm using (some kind of foam, forget what it's called) doesn't work I'll try the Aero Kroil. The timing doesn't "feel" like it's off but it won't pass the smog test :(

wyoming4x4 01-05-2011 11:21 PM

another scenerio, worst case!

I once had a stuck distibutor and it was a twisted oil pump shaft and it flaired the end of distributor. had to pull pan and oil pump. then had to beat my MSD distributor out of engine. I was very happy to beat my new $250 ditributor out of my mudracer. Lesson learned was buy quality oil pump shaft for about $25 bucks. Almost wanted to cry. this is my worst case situation.:-X09

Shane in WI 01-06-2011 05:43 PM

Mine was really stuck in my 302 as well. I tried PB Blaster but never got it loose. I also heated w/ torch with no help.
A fellow poster suggested 1/2 automatic transmission fluid and 1/2 Acetone and that worked very well. Popped right out. Might have been partially cause I'd been working on it for a few months, but it's worth a try. Works great on loosening bolts too.

LongTravelHighboy 01-09-2011 04:03 PM

I used 1/2 mystery oil and 1/2 acetone. Soaked it twice and let it sit overnight. A few taps with the hammer and it was loose. All in all, 15 minutes of work. THAT IS AWESOME. It bustin loose let me adjust the timing and now the truck is running right. Thank you for the advice!

Shane in WI 01-10-2011 11:59 AM

It was Tees77150 that told me that trick. Mine runs great now as well. Been very cold here in WI, but started right up the other day. Still a few projects to do before spring. Glad you got it set.