Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   1979 Ford F-Series Truck vin decoding help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1024311-1979-ford-f-series-truck-vin-decoding-help.html)

2011coyote 12-30-2010 01:02 PM

1979 Ford F-Series Truck vin decoding help

Have a 1979 Ford truck with this vin: F14HLDC8683

Also. Where are the vins located other than the drivers side door?

mikeo0o0o0 12-30-2010 01:44 PM

F14HLDC8683
F14=F150 4WD pick up
H=351 cu in 2bbl V8 engine
L=Michigan truck assy plant
DC8683=1979 model year sequential serial number

The VIN is also located on the frame in two places. The top right (passenger side) frame rail. The visible VIN is between the radiator and firewall usually about inline with the alternator. The hidden VIN is also top right frame rail under the cab, usually about 6"-10" behind the front cab mount.
Sometimes there is a metal buck tag screwed to the firewall, this will have the VIN.
And all trucks have a paper certification sticker on the drivers door jamb. There is a VIN on it too.
BTW welcome to FTE, lots of good knowledgeable people here.

2011coyote 12-30-2010 02:57 PM

Thanks for the quick response. The paper certification sticker is painted over and I'll check in the other places you described for the visible one and less visible one. The buck tag is not in place per your description. Really appreciate the decoding.

mikeo0o0o0 12-30-2010 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 2011coyote (Post 9753547)
The buck tag is not in place per your description. Really appreciate the decoding.

A lot of vehicles left the factory without a buck tag. I've got three trucks and none have a tag.
Also, sometimes the frame VINs are stamped lightly and are hard to locate/read. You'll probably need to take a wire brush to the frame to bring out the VIN.
Here is a picture of a buck tag, its attached to the firewall with a single screw.

2011coyote 12-30-2010 10:02 PM

The frame VIN may be the only one that is left on this particular example. The paper certification sticker is painted over. No buck tag. And the tag between the rad and the firewall roughly inline with the alternator you described is gone too. I'll have to see what I can do about locating the one on the top of right side frame rail. Probably tough to see with cab attached to the frame. Maybe a mirror will help.?.?

mikeo0o0o0 12-31-2010 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2011coyote (Post 9755424)
And the tag between the rad and the firewall roughly inline with the alternator you described is gone too.

The frame VINs aren't tags, the numbers are stamped into the frame rail itself. Sometimes they were stamped lightly and are difficult to see but they are there. With 30+ years of grease, road grime and crud built up you'll need to take a wire brush or a wire wheel and clean the frame to find the VIN.
And as for the hidden VIN under the cab, yeah, you'll need a mirror to see it unless you remove the cab.

2011coyote 12-31-2010 07:44 AM

Going to wait till the weather breaks a little and give the one stamped between the rad and fire wall a shot. It's a really decent truck. Regular cab, short bed, auto, looks like a 9" under the rear. Needs a little mechanical tlc. Trans does not start off in 1st automatically. Can manually pull the column shifter down into 1st and then it will start in 1st. Had a drivers side wheel bearing go on it. Brake pedal travels to the floor. And power steering pump is seized. The exterior is blue with 15" aluminum wheels. Has a hinged hard cover toneau cover. Windshield visor with amber running lights. Interior is in good shape too. Custom 60/40 split seats with overhead speakers.