Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   brake line failure (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1023670-brake-line-failure.html)

adam10 12-28-2010 03:38 PM

brake line failure

had my first brake line blowout/rust out yesterday.backed down my boat ramp at the river to go hunting.after unloading the boat the brake pedal goes to the floor.what a great time for it to blowout!at least my buddy was there his 4 wheel drive to pull the boat back out after we were done.turns out the whole line was rusted from the connection at the engine compartment back to the rearend.they outta make them out of stainless or something.

redford 12-28-2010 03:54 PM

You can use the emergency/parking brake for these emergencies.

Replacing the brake lines with stainless steel lines will prevent future problems.

mwsF250 12-28-2010 06:55 PM

I have been a proponent of "rust belt" and "non rust belt" equipped vehicles for a while now. Those of us in the mild and salt free climes don't need the protection (and COST!) of all the rust resistant materials and coatings you guys do - whereas you could use a lot more.

Snowseeker 12-28-2010 09:40 PM

For years I have questioned why vehicle manufacturers aren't demanded to use stainless brake lines. It is a huge safety deal.

gearloose1 12-28-2010 10:51 PM

High corrosion areas are not limited to salt states, but also coastal areas.

Brake lines should be inspected every time a brake job is done.

Even stainless steel rusts.

Snowseeker 12-28-2010 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by gearloose1 (Post 9745889)

Even stainless steel rusts.

If it is low grade.

99f350sd 12-28-2010 11:07 PM

There is this new brake line out now for a couple years. It doesn't rust and bends nice and flares even better..Its got a light copper color..you can bend into anything with your hands..

Dick

Snowseeker 12-29-2010 09:29 AM

^ Is it just copper coated steel?

99f350sd 12-29-2010 11:32 AM

Not steel. Its a copper nickel mix I think.. I will get the name,, brand for you.
Austin Healey brake line kit
Copper.org: Applications: Automotive - Copper-Nickel Automotive Vehicle Brake Tubing

Search on that stuff. Most parts places carry it now...

Dick

gearloose1 12-29-2010 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 9745932)
If it is low grade.

Or galvanic corrosion when it is mounted against dissimilar metals...

Nothing is forever.

mwsF250 12-29-2010 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 9745528)
For years I have questioned why vehicle manufacturers aren't demanded to use stainless brake lines. It is a huge safety deal.

It is for a very small percentage of the population - namely those people who keep vehicles 10+ years in high salt climates and don't inspect on a regular basis. But a non-issue for the vast majority of us. Even my 40 year old vehicle has very, very little rust on even the uncoated mild steel components.

Personally, if legislation is determined to be the answer (and I don't think it is...):
Rather than requiring higher cost materials for all, I would prefer legislation to force people in high risk areas to inspect and repair their vehicles. There is a lot more at risk than just brake lines. Or take to the Japanese extreme and require replacement.

gearloose1 12-29-2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by mwsF250 (Post 9748295)
It is for a very small percentage of the population - namely those people who keep vehicles 10+ years in high salt climates and don't inspect on a regular basis. But a non-issue for the vast majority of us. Even my 40 year old vehicle has very, very little rust on even the uncoated mild steel components.

Personally, if legislation is determined to be the answer (and I don't think it is...):
Rather than requiring higher cost materials for all, I would prefer legislation to force people in high risk areas to inspect and repair their vehicles. There is a lot more at risk than just brake lines. Or take to the Japanese extreme and require replacement.

You'd laugh to hear I claimed on the perforation warranty!

Hence, I am developing a treatment system that will essentially, stop rust cold for 3 to 5 years at a time, once applied.

mwsF250 12-29-2010 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by gearloose1 (Post 9748346)
You'd laugh to hear I claimed on the perforation warranty!

Nope! It just reminds me of one of the reasons I put up with the (bountiful) negatives of living where I do! When I get a vehicle, I tend to keep it a while. Most have well over 300K before I let them go. Well, except motorcycles... The last one only had 80K - but that was because my nephew wanted it so bad.

Rust? Whazzat?

Snowseeker 12-29-2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 99f350sd (Post 9747600)
Not steel. Its a copper nickel mix I think.. I will get the name,, brand for you.
Austin Healey brake line kit
Copper.org: Applications: Automotive - Copper-Nickel Automotive Vehicle Brake Tubing

Search on that stuff. Most parts places carry it now...

Dick

Interesting! Thanks much!

Snowseeker 12-29-2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by gearloose1 (Post 9747821)
Or galvanic corrosion when it is mounted against dissimilar metals...

Nothing is forever.

Which should only be at the caliper and in which case the caliper should be at the other end of a rubber hose.