Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Giving the Expy a little Altitude...help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1023210-giving-the-expy-a-little-altitude-help.html)

Tylus 12-27-2010 04:22 AM

Giving the Expy a little Altitude...help

The downward spiral has started. I got the go ahead from the wife to do a small leveling kit on the Expy.

I want to get about 2" taller on all corners and slap some nice 33" A/T's on there with meaty tread.

My Expy is a 4x2. I am going to use a 2" Autosprings leveling kit for the front end...but have no idea about the rear. I've seen a few rear kits on eBay, but am confused by what I am finding

help for the rear please

gddyup 12-27-2010 06:18 AM

This is what I am going to try out Tylus. It's pretty cheap money and another member here has installed this on their Expy and it does look pretty good. I wish their was a 4" or 5" kit out there for our Expys but I'll be old by the time that happens I think.

3" Front 2" Rear Leveling Lift Kit Expedition 2WD 4WD - eBay (item 170535406188 end time Dec-31-10 09:32:59 PST)

MCDavis 12-29-2010 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by gddyup (Post 9737144)
This is what I am going to try out Tylus. It's pretty cheap money and another member here has installed this on their Expy and it does look pretty good. I wish their was a 4" or 5" kit out there for our Expys but I'll be old by the time that happens I think.

3" Front 2" Rear Leveling Lift Kit Expedition 2WD 4WD - eBay (item 170535406188 end time Dec-31-10 09:32:59 PST)

That kit looks to be very similiar to the Truxxx kit. Should fit the bill nicely. ReadyLift also makes a 3"/2" kit for the Expy's

I don't believe that a 4-5" kit will ever be available due to the independent suspension. Much like the kit from Rize, you have to get the axle shafts out and under the frame, so that's at least 6" if not more to clear the bottom of the frame and allow for travel.

Tylus 12-30-2010 02:07 PM

thx for the links. I'm probably going to buy the tires this week and then see if I truly need the leveling kit.

I was poking around under the fenderwells and I think I can run a 285 width tire, maybe a 295 width without any rubbing issues. I'm only upsizing 1" to a 33" tire.

now to find a good deal on tires. I've had it with those POS Pirelli tires

MCDavis 12-30-2010 02:23 PM

I just put a set of Michelin LTX M/S2's on the SCrew. I'm extremely happy that I did. They're not aggresive by any means, but they proved to be awesome this last week in the snow. They're damn pricey, but also come with a 70k mile treadwear warranty.
What wheel size are you running Tylus?
If you want something meaty looking and you're on the 20" wheel, you might want to take a look at Cooper Zeon LTZ's. They're meant to be a sport truck/all terrain hybrid. They weren't as well rated in the snow as the Michelins, thus I didn't go that route. I have seen the Zeons in person now a few times, and they look sweet.

Tylus 12-31-2010 03:39 AM

not sure right now.

I'm 50/50 on getting mud tires at the moment. If I just get A/T's, I will grab a set of Goodyear Silent Armour's...or the new Duratrack. They are both great tires, decently priced, and they have a nice aggressive tread/look which will accent the Expy nicely IMO

I'd throw some Michelins on there in a second, but they just don't look that nice.