Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   traction control relay or fuse (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1022973-traction-control-relay-or-fuse.html)

FORDTUF1 12-26-2010 10:11 AM

traction control relay or fuse

I looked in the manual and could not find the "traction control" listed separately. I'm guessing it's combined with the PCM (power control module) but not sure. Has anyone pulled the relay or fuse and gotten it turned off?

I know older trucks, and a lot of Toyota's you can pull it. I HATE WITH A PASSION the stupid traction control. I also hate ABS!! Why do we have to put up with this crap just because stupid people can't control their vehicles. I say let them thin their heard and don't procreate either BTW.

rickatic 12-26-2010 11:06 AM

My guess is the removal of power supply from these devices will result in some DTC's

gearloose1 12-26-2010 11:13 AM

Bet you that the Ford Dealer have a way of switching off the Traction Control / ABS.... done in software..... as some commercial applications virtually require it.

Rickx 12-26-2010 11:44 AM

Why don't you just push the button on the dash to turn traction control off? ABS is good thing to have IMO.

ford390gashog 12-26-2010 12:46 PM

They both can be turned off!! But you will be hard pressed to find any dealer willing to disable the ABS. Also with either of those systems disabled you will lose trailer braking function as the system will not work without the input.

gearloose1 12-26-2010 01:09 PM

A standard way to disable a sealed system that the OEM will not let you touch:

Jerk around with the inputs (e.g. if the ABS sense all its sensors are dead, it stops working).

Not that I am recommending you do this... but a lot of the "tuners" on the market us the same strategy to fool the system.

kper05 12-26-2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rickx (Post 9734333)
Why don't you just push the button on the dash to turn traction control off? ABS is good thing to have IMO.

I'm fine with ABS but I would rather the TCS be a push in/out button like Honda (either always on or always off after each start) instead of computer controlled (always on after each start).
I turn mine off for dry roads but it does get annoying doing that every time. For wet/slick roads, I am impressed with this TCS. It does a great job.

Rickx 12-26-2010 02:50 PM

I don't look at it as a big deal to push a button on the dash every time. We all have routines when we get in to drive. Like on my Excursion I get in turn the key while "waiting to start" I put on my seat belt. Then start when its ready.

One thing about having to turn it off each time is its easy to locae if you need to turn it on.

Adobe 11SD 12-26-2010 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by kper05 (Post 9734602)
I'm fine with ABS but I would rather the TCS be a push in/out button like Honda (either always on or always off after each start) instead of computer controlled (always on after each start).
I turn mine off for dry roads but it does get annoying doing that every time. For wet/slick roads, I am impressed with this TCS. It does a great job.

I love your posts, but I think that we consumers are getting a bit spoiled. We have an option to turn it off and I suspect that this may be litigation avoidance.

I also suspect that the Honda cannot do all of the other cool stuff that our trucks can do, like towing a really big 5er, etc. It is all a balance and if the manufacturers put everything on the "wish list" (on every vehicle) there would only be one vehicle sold. Hopefully it would be the Blue Oval.

kper05 12-26-2010 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Adobe 11SD (Post 9734969)
I love your posts, but I think that we consumers are getting a bit spoiled. We have an option to turn it off and I suspect that this may be litigation avoidance.

I also suspect that the Honda cannot do all of the other cool stuff that our trucks can do, like towing a really big 5er, etc. It is all a balance and if the manufacturers put everything on the "wish list" (on every vehicle) there would only be one vehicle sold. Hopefully it would be the Blue Oval.

I know we can't have everything but I used Honda as an example because I'm familar with the '08 Pilot with the push in/out button. Other cars have a similar configuration. It wouldn't be that difficult. :-D

Yes, we become spoiled every time we get something new with more fancy features.

FORDTUF1 12-26-2010 07:29 PM

You can not turn OFF TCS, you can only deactivate it at speeds below 35 I think it is, then the computer automatically reactivates it. The only time it is OFF is when you engage 4x4.

I would like to enjoy the fun of playing in 2wd a bit, I'm 47 but 21 at heart. But I can drive and take care of a 60K truck too believe me. It just aggravates me that the stupid people ruin it for the rest of us.

kper05 12-26-2010 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by FORDTUF1 (Post 9735880)
You can not turn OFF TCS, you can only deactivate it at speeds below 35 I think it is, then the computer automatically reactivates it. The only time it is OFF is when you engage 4x4.

I would like to enjoy the fun of playing in 2wd a bit, I'm 47 but 21 at heart. But I can drive and take care of a 60K truck too believe me. It just aggravates me that the stupid people ruin it for the rest of us.

Only the ELD has a speed limiter that I'm aware of. ELD turns off at 25 or 35 MPH; can't remember.

If I turn off TCS, it stays off until I shut down the truck.
5 MPH though 70 MPH. Unless the dash light isn't correct above 35 MPH.
If TCS auto engaged I would assume the dash light would be forced to turn off vs staying on.

More "idiot proof" changes will continue to be included.
I've yet to "burn out" on purpose with my truck. I do think about trying it once from time to time...haha.
Only short spins twice pulling out in traffic with a turn.

EDIT: I found page 273 in the owners manual.
There are a few features (such as holding the button down for five seconds) but all options result in TCS setting to disabled.
The below 35 MPH with the 5 second hold is for RSC and ESC. I guess ESC is similar to TCS or at least has a role. ESC does still apply brakes.

ruschejj 12-27-2010 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by FORDTUF1 (Post 9735880)
It just aggravates me that the stupid people ruin it for the rest of us.

You listen to too much Boortz! lol. I lived in ATL for 5 years and miss that guy.

Tom 12-27-2010 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by kper05 (Post 9734602)
I turn mine off for dry roads but it does get annoying doing that every time.

Why?

Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
I know older trucks, and a lot of Toyota's you can pull it. I HATE WITH A PASSION the stupid traction control. I also hate ABS!! Why do we have to put up with this crap just because stupid people can't control their vehicles.

Why do you think these safety devices have anything to do with people's driving ability? More importantly, what makes you think you can do better than a computer that monitors wheel velocities hundreds of times each second and has independent control of each wheel's brake system?

Like it or not, no matter how well you drive, traction control, ABS, and stability control can do a LOT of things that you as a driver are incapable. Can you brake the outside wheels in an understeer condition to keep the truck on the road? What about pulsing the brakes on a spinning wheel to transfer power to the one that grips? Can you lock the outside wheels in a skid to avoid a rollover? Can you do all these tasks even when you don't expect the situation? Such as unforseen black ice or possibly someone pulling out in front of you in wet weather?

You can't. The computer can.

Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
I say let them thin their heard and don't procreate either BTW

Are you SERIOUS? On the same public roads you and I drive on? Same roads MY wife and kids drive on? With an 8,000 lb truck? :eek:

If you have that little regard for other people's safety, you should take a hard look at your priorities.

porthole 12-27-2010 11:12 AM

TCS - ABS

Add up to additional discounts on my insurance. Must be a reason, and it is not because the herd needs trimming