Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Need Help on Sport Trac won't start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1021309-need-help-on-sport-trac-wont-start.html)

Kctango 12-20-2010 09:39 AM

Need Help on Sport Trac won't start

:-newbieMy son was warming his 2004 sport trac the other day and when he attempted to put it in gear and drive away it stalled. After that it would crank but not start. After 2 hours it started then died within 10 seconds.
I trailered it back to the house nice short nice short 10 hour drive. I have checked the interia switch got power to it. Have checked the fuel relay its good. I cannot hear the fuel pump when I turn on the key. If I spray starting fluid into the throttle body the trucks starts right up but dies as soon as it uses up the starting fluid. What do you all think it is??????
I do have a new crank sensor and cam sensor in hand but not installed wanted feed back if those could be issues. I will be installing a new fuel filter tonight. How does one check the fuel pressure on this truck since it doesn't have a strater valve on the fuel rail??? I do have a new airtek fuel pump in hand and am getting ready to attempt this change out next.... Would like any Idea anyone has.

shorod 12-20-2010 09:23 PM

Are you sure there's not Schrader valve on the fuel rail? My 2004 Mountaineer has one (although it's the V8). You need ton check for fuel pressure. If you find that you do have good fuel pressure, then there may be something preventing fuel injector pulse width or spark, and the likely candidate would be the Crankshaft Position Sensor. If you don't have fuel pressure, then once you confirm power is getting from the inertia switch to the pump, the pump is the likely candidate. If that happens, be sure to replace the fuel filter while you're back there.

-Rod

impish 12-21-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kctango (Post 9710256)
:-newbie........ I cannot hear the fuel pump when I turn on the key.Could you hear the pump run before the start-up problem? Remember, it only runs 2 seconds after "key on", then shuts off unless engine is cranking. So you have to "catch" the sound of it during those 2 seconds.... If I spray starting fluid into the throttle body the trucks starts right up but dies as soon as it uses up the starting fluid. So it has spark, tries to run, stops for lack of fuel. When this happens, is the engine reasonably smooth-running, no big shake or vibration?What do you all think it is??????.......If pump definitely does not run, I would check for voltage present at the fuel tank pump connector, looking "back" into the harness. If no voltage present when there should be, during those 2 seconds again, the pump is most likely OK.......fuses, pump relay (how did you check it?), bad connection somewhere between pump relay and tank, maybe at inertia switch connector, or contacts within inertia switch itself. Wiring diagrams help a lot; the "hot" conductor bringing juice to the pump is often PINK-colored wire, if voltage present at tank, pump no good..... let us know if my mumbo-jumbo produces any results for you!