Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   2000 Ford Expedition Ticking/ tapping in under the hood (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1020822-2000-ford-expedition-ticking-tapping-in-under-the-hood.html)

singr_69 12-18-2010 02:40 PM

2000 Ford Expedition Ticking/ tapping in under the hood

I have a ticking/ tapping sound in my SUV. Does anyone have any clue what could possibly the problem? Help Please

alloro 12-18-2010 03:01 PM

It could be several things like a fuel injector, a valve lifter, a solenoid, a spark jumping to ground, and exhaust leak, etc. You need to try and narrow down where it's coming from for us to be able to give you guidance.

singr_69 12-18-2010 04:48 PM

it is a consistant ticking sound from the engine.

alloro 12-18-2010 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by singr_69 (Post 9704174)
it is a consistent ticking sound from the engine.

The top, the bottom, the front, the rear, the left side, the right side, only when reving the motor, only when at an idle, etc....

You've got to give us something to go on, we're not there, you are.

singr_69 12-18-2010 05:59 PM

sorry. Top. and it is constant doesnt change when idleing up or down

crabjoe 12-19-2010 08:49 PM

I've got the same thing. You can't hear it from inside. Mine goes tap ..... tap tap ..... tap ..... tap tap. The sound is almost like a AC compressor engaging and dis-engaging and I can't tell where on the motor it's coming from.

Moto Mel 12-19-2010 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by singr_69 (Post 9703752)
I have a ticking/ tapping sound in my SUV. Does anyone have any clue what could possibly the problem? Help Please

Check your email.

crabjoe 12-19-2010 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Moto Mel (Post 9708665)
Check your email.

Come one ... If you have any idea what it might be, let us in on it. I've got a tapping I can't figure out either.. :-(

Moto Mel 12-20-2010 12:17 AM

I only have a guess that no one would want to hear. I live near Singr and might be able to ID the problem for him. I don't have a shop and I don't work on other people's stuff either. I do have a lot of tools though.

Big Greenie 12-20-2010 07:22 AM

All you could do is make a wild guess from what we have been told so far.

Guys, there are a hundred moving parts under the hood, to say it is ticking doesn't help...

Does it go away once the engine has warmed up? Is the rate of ticking related to the rpm?

Could be the exhaust manifold leaking, that usually goes away when warm unless it has been doing it for a long time.

Could be a spark plug getting ready to blow out

Could just be the typical cold engine noise most of these engines make.

Fuel injectors are apretty soft tick, usually not heard with the hood closed.

Timing chain tensioners could be bad leading to several different noises.

So short of someone like Mel offering to come take a listen, you are going to have to help narrow it down on your end before anybody can be much help here.

aft2005exp 12-20-2010 12:43 PM

'05 EXPY 4x4 105k here.. I'm not a professional, but here is my experience. Had a ticking sound under the hood.. Was a constant sound.... Sound was on top half, on passenger side.. Also was sluggish.. Brought it to a local independent guy who was able to diagnosis and repair it. The timing chain tensioners were disintegrating and the bits of plastic were clogging the flow of of oil into the passenger side of the engine.. So we replaced the timing chains, tensioners and associated parts that were jammed with plastic from the originals, and voila ticking sound was gone, and performance improved. Not sure this is your engines issue. but just a possibility based on my experience.. Good luck !

Moto Mel 12-20-2010 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by aft2005exp (Post 9710963)
'05 EXPY 4x4 105k here.. I'm not a professional, but here is my experience. Had a ticking sound under the hood.. Was a constant sound.... Sound was on top half, on passenger side.. Also was sluggish.. Brought it to a local independent guy who was able to diagnosis and repair it. The timing chain tensioners were disintegrating and the bits of plastic were clogging the flow of of oil into the passenger side of the engine.. So we replaced the timing chains, tensioners and associated parts that were jammed with plastic from the originals, and voila ticking sound was gone, and performance improved. Not sure this is your engines issue. but just a possibility based on my experience.. Good luck !

That is often the cause of a lot of engine noises and failures. Glad you found an honest and capable mechanic that saved your engine.

Londart 12-20-2010 03:58 PM

what about ticking sound when cold goes away if you rev or once warmed up....lifter?if so does seafoam or lucas usually fix this or do i have to dig in?

Moto Mel 12-20-2010 04:05 PM

If you have a light ticking sound when first starting that goes away after a few seconds it is usually the cam chain tensioners. If it only goes away when you rev the engine there are usually other problems to be addressed.

Londart 12-20-2010 04:11 PM

it is just light ticking...sounds like the older cars when you needed to adjust rocker arms