Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Any Tuners/chips for the 2011 Super Duty 6.2L? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1020269-any-tuners-chips-for-the-2011-super-duty-6-2l.html)

tjbeggs 12-16-2010 03:06 PM

Any Tuners/chips for the 2011 Super Duty 6.2L?

Sorry if this has been asked but I didn't see any threads. Are there any companies out there with a tuner or chip for the 2011 Super Duty 6.2L. Our shop is getting ready to build a patrol truck for the State of Michigan for the sand dunes and they want a chip installed like they have in their other trucks. Kinda tough since many of the aftermarkets (Warn, Rancho, etc) aren't ready to release much for the new body/engine yet.

Any help would be great!

J_E_Summit 12-16-2010 03:46 PM

I believe SCT has a programmer for the 6.2L.

5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

powerstroke72 12-16-2010 03:57 PM

Moved to 6.2L Boss Forum.

I'm moving this to the 6.2 Forum Tim. Mike with 5 Star Tuning should be along after a while. He's got a 6.2 and has been tuning it with pretty good success.

5 Star Tuning 12-16-2010 04:48 PM

Sounds like a great project. We can definitely help out.
Give us call anytime.

Mike

krewat 12-17-2010 07:25 AM

5-star has been ahead of the curve on this one. They bought a 6.2L Superduty as soon as they came out, it seems. And then put it right on the dyno :-X22

One of the fastest new engine adoptions I've ever seen, especially for a gasser in a truck.

Mike won't let you down.

saratoga2011 12-17-2010 07:38 AM

How sensitive are dealers towards people reflashing gassers? i.e. are they directed to look at calibration verification numbers before performing any warranty service?

Coming over from a diesel, I know GM has released TSB's that instruct dealer techs to look at the ECM calibration number to match with the last known reflash as well as max torque values stored in the TCM. Has Ford gone that nutso with gassers?

I'm definitely interested in the 5-Star tuning for my 6.2, but not if I have to prove there's no tuner on it every time I go to the dealer (which is the main reason I never put one on my old Duramax).

Byram 12-17-2010 08:22 AM

The 5Star Tune on the 6.2 is great...

I like the 93 Perf/tow tune - It tends to wake-up the truck - but I tend to revert to a teenager when installed so the milage tends to suffer a bit.

Call Mike - He can fix you up....}>

Jettix2 08-02-2011 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by saratoga2011 (Post 9698524)
How sensitive are dealers towards people reflashing gassers? i.e. are they directed to look at calibration verification numbers before performing any warranty service?

Coming over from a diesel, I know GM has released TSB's that instruct dealer techs to look at the ECM calibration number to match with the last known reflash as well as max torque values stored in the TCM. Has Ford gone that nutso with gassers?

I'm definitely interested in the 5-Star tuning for my 6.2, but not if I have to prove there's no tuner on it every time I go to the dealer (which is the main reason I never put one on my old Duramax).

Anybody have any thoughts or updates on this re: this??

socapots 08-03-2011 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jettix2 (Post 10652197)
Anybody have any thoughts or updates on this re: this??

good question.
This is a reason i would not go the tuned route... Although after warranty it wouldn't really matter. lol.

DaveNTx 09-24-2013 05:57 AM

Did you ever hear anything re: Ford's policy about tuning?

Originally Posted by saratoga2011 (Post 9698524)

Saratoga:

Did you ever hear anything about Ford's policy on tuning / reflashing the chips on their 6.2s? The 5-Star looks interesting but, I'm like you - I don't want to jeopardize the warranty by using a tuner.

Thanx for any feedback ...

Dave in College Station, Tx

Byram 09-24-2013 07:51 AM

Tuners are a hard call...I tuned my 6.2 at like 1800 miles.. I never worried about it - except to return to stock when I went in for the transmission reflash/solenoids change back in the early days.... I ran 60k with the 6.2 tuned & returned to stock when I traded.

My dealer/ shop foreman actually said maybe I should try a tune - which I said I had - & he showed great interest in the type (5-Star) and how it felt (alot better than stock)..

Maybe I was just lucky but I had NO problems with the 6.2 tuned or not... Of course I usually drive the gassers for 150k with no real problems.

Also - all my discretionary income goes to me & my toys.. (translated - divorced & no kids, early 50's male) so a warranty denial on a gas engine would piss me off - but not the end of the world...

That said - I'm leaving the 6.7 alone for the time being...

2000silverbullet 09-24-2013 11:40 AM

+1 to what Byram said.

Gotta pay to play (and be prepared in case Ford says you're on your own).

DaveNTx 09-24-2013 08:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback ....

I'm afraid this truck is about the most expensive thing I own so, I think I'll stand by for about 5 years or 60,000 miles before doing any chip tuning ... that will give me plenty of time to read up on tuners. I'll keep an eye on these threads.

2000silverbullet 09-25-2013 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by DaveNTx (Post 13563052)
Thanks for the feedback ....

I'm afraid this truck is about the most expensive thing I own so, I think I'll stand by for about 5 years or 60,000 miles before doing any chip tuning ... that will give me plenty of time to read up on tuners. I'll keep an eye on these threads.

2nd to my house, I'm in the same boat as you. I was reluctant to get one but couldn't take the stock shifting anymore. The TSB made it better but it would still choke once in a while. I could reproduce it but Ford didn't have a fix for it, so I went elsewhere.

I dread every time I have to go back to stock when I visit the dealer for various things (mostly cosmetic issues or maintenance).

DaveNTx 09-25-2013 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet (Post 13564411)
2nd to my house, I'm in the same boat as you. I was reluctant to get one but couldn't take the stock shifting anymore. The TSB made it better but it would still choke once in a while. I could reproduce it but Ford didn't have a fix for it, so I went elsewhere.

I dread every time I have to go back to stock when I visit the dealer for various things (mostly cosmetic issues or maintenance).

I'm a new owner so, I'm still learning the history of the Super Duties - when you say the "TSB made it better", are you talking about a technical service bulletin?

Also, does your tuner equipment allow you to retrieve & save the factory settings in a file that can be read by the tuner to reset the chip back to stock?