Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Panel lights too dim in 2009 Limited Expedition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1020057-panel-lights-too-dim-in-2009-limited-expedition.html)

expy37at 12-15-2010 06:51 PM

Panel lights too dim in 2009 Limited Expedition

When we're driving in the daytime with the lights on I can barely see the dash indicator lights, even with the "dome" light control turned all the up.

For example, I can't see the external temperature reading barely or maybe at all.

Is there some way to adjust the control to offset the brighness in a postive direction?

eddiemoney 12-16-2010 09:17 PM

No, common problem. Its really a glare problem, not a lighting problem

Get some tint

chuck s 12-17-2010 05:36 PM

Daytime with the lights on? Do you do this routinely?

-- Chuck

kennisonxgs 12-17-2010 06:07 PM

I don't pay attention to mine because I hardly ever drive with my lights on when it's bright outside. I don't have my instrument lights at brightest setting either, but I admit, it doesn't get that bright. I wouldn't call it a problem though.

berry1234 12-20-2010 01:17 PM

Should have daytime running lights that does not turn on inside lights. This can be added/turned on by the dealer on 08 and ups.

merlemac 09-16-2015 05:22 PM

I have the same problem with 2009 expedition. Odometer is too dim in daylight. Works fine during evening when lights are on.
Is there a fix or will it need to go back to dealership

Ford'05HG 09-17-2015 01:55 AM

I used to always have mine on. I wired the dimmer to the accessory switch so my truck would run the dash lights. It was nice for when sitting in the truck at night surfing the web with the engine running, it allowed me to turn down that blaring light from the radio. I sort of took that idea from the 2007+ GM vehicles, although they executed it a bit better, but it was all the same.

I've grown up trained to use headlights anytime I'm moving in vehicles over 1 ton or when visiblity is less than perfect. Some times though my family would drive the truck but rarely used the lights unless it was dark. So I hard wired them on to the ignition wire so the would always run! Lol

It's a scientifically proven fact that peoples eyes are naturally drawn to light so when you are the only one in a group of cars with your lights on, they are more likely to focus on you.

This is also why racing drivers often flash or sometimes even sneak up on slower cars and then cut their lights on behind them to grab the other drivers attention so he will make way. Watch the LoneStar LeMans going on this week at COTA, a track down the road from my house. The track is a little small for the multi-class racing that they do so the faster cars will pass the slower ones several dozen times in a race. I think it's pretty cool to watch but maybe that's just me.