Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Advertising SPAM in the Private Mail (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1019667-advertising-spam-in-the-private-mail.html)

Julies Cool F1 12-14-2010 05:15 PM

Advertising SPAM in the Private Mail

I'm not sure about any of the rest of you, but I have started getting advertising in my FTE Private Mail.

I have paid for a membership so I'm not subjected to the annoyance of the advertising bombardment here, so I'm a little miffed that the administrators have decided it's ok to send it via PMs now.

It's very annoying to get an e-mail notification from someone thinking they may want a drawing or help with something and run to the site only to find this.

Worst part of it is, I tried to put the offending senders on the "Ignore List," to prevent not having to deal with SPAM here, and it wasn't allowed.

Maybe a few comments from other folks might help get this stopped, or at least allow us to select not to recieve it.

Thoughts?

Cooter55 12-14-2010 05:19 PM

Getting the same thing...totally agree with you. I'm on other forums run buy the same folks and it's not allowed.

Corrupt Silence 12-14-2010 05:25 PM

I'm not a paying member, but I'm getting the same crap. You know, I love the trucks, I love the people here, but this is the slowest forum and most difficult to navigate that I've ever been on... (That's the main reason I'm not a paying member.) It is damn annoying though.

Julies Cool F1 12-14-2010 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Corrupt Silence (Post 9685742)
I'm not a paying member, but I'm getting the same crap. You know, I love the trucks, I love the people here, but this is the slowest forum and most difficult to navigate that I've ever been on... (That's the main reason I'm not a paying member.) It is damn annoying though.

Believe it or not, the member ship blocks most of the animated advertising and really speeds things up.

Some folks like to get the adds. I don't. If they are going to use the membership list and PMs as an advertising distribution list, we should have the ability to turn it off.

blsd49 12-14-2010 05:57 PM

I became a paying member months back but get the 'pop up ads' usually on the first of each thread. Never got them before. Also got one on a PM today! I don't want them either. BTW I also never had anyone contact me about a shirt or? when I paid up. Thought that was one of the perks?

larryb346 12-14-2010 06:09 PM

I belong to several forums and this is the only one that I use regularly and do not pay to support and use. The reason is totally the disregard the owners have for the people using this forum. It is very difficult to post photos, I am bombarded with ads, and it is very slow. That being said if those issues were removed I would have started paying as soon as I found this a interesting place to visit and share information.
I have real issues being held hostage by a company telling me if I pay, things will be better. I feel. make them better and then I would be happy to pay to contribute to making the forum a better place.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Larry

sgtrwg 12-14-2010 06:16 PM

The addition of ad-blocker and no script to firefox and the popups and adds will be gone. I don't think there is much we can do about the PM adds, I just deleted one when I logged on.

spurredon 12-14-2010 06:16 PM

I guess ads are a way of life. Sure dosen't mean that I like them. I was a paid member last year but still got the spam. It dosen't seem to matter what we like I guess?? Trouble is, there are so many great folks here with so much knowledge that we all keep coming back!

ALBUQ F-1 12-14-2010 06:32 PM

It was FTE, not a vendor, that sent me the ads, it's a benefit (discount) that they wanted to share with us. Easy to blow away, it was something for new trucks.

Daddyo's garage 12-14-2010 06:45 PM

Ditto to all of the above! Do we really need to get adds sent to our PMs? I get it. Sell the list to an advertiser who spams everyone in hopes of making a sale. :-lamesign The answer is DON'T BUY FROM THE ADD!!! If the complaints pile up, maybe it will get some attention. :-yeahrighI know of NO ONE WHO LIKES GETTING THIS CRAP. But someone must be making it worth the while!

Isn't this the same site that won't allow you to advertise thing for sale in the forum posts? :-X09What ever.......

I sent a response the the sender. Maybe that will stop it?

denverslim 12-14-2010 06:57 PM

Just another reason I seldom use this forum. And I love the folks who are on here and the information that is obtainable...slim

BACAGrizz 12-14-2010 07:02 PM

It doesn't bother me any but then, I am not a paying supporter either.

Julies Cool F1 12-14-2010 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 9686060)
It was FTE, not a vendor, that sent me the ads, it's a benefit (discount) that they wanted to share with us. Easy to blow away, it was something for new trucks.

It's advertising. Irregardless of the ploy used to get your attention.

You still get an e-mail notification that you have a PM. It's still SPAM for a vender that is offering the discount.

It could easily be put on the top of the applicable forum page and serve the same purpose without SPA-ing up the PMs. FTE doesn't send everyone a PM when they are announcing a forum with Ford Engineers?

And there isn't any acceptable reason why the "Broadcaster" shouldn't be able to be IGNORED (ie designated SPAM and blocked) if one chooses to do so.

LarryB is right on track.

arctic y block 12-14-2010 07:08 PM

Princess I thought the same thing as you when I got that PM today.
It's sick and wrong I tell you.:-banghead

bobbytnm 12-14-2010 07:15 PM

About every other month or so FTE PM Broadcast sends out a PM, typcially with coupons or other discounts. Yeah, its typically aimed at newer truck stuff and not much use to me but its just as easy to ignore or delete. Its not like its a pop-up or other invasive crap.

Jules, if you want to take on the administration, more power to you, be careful though, they hold all the power. I seem to remember another guy a few years back who got in a pissing match with the admin and got himself booted off. I think it was before your time so you probably won't remember. Here's his profile;
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: Sandidande

Bobby