Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Tips for removing fuse block and GEM? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1018090-tips-for-removing-fuse-block-and-gem.html)

WestCoastTodd 12-09-2010 01:42 PM

Tips for removing fuse block and GEM?

Hi everyone,

I've got the dreaded windshield-leaking-onto-the-GEM problem. Little rust hole just above the glass, under the trim rubber. The truck has the usual weird effects - blower fan stays on, passenger airbag light flickers on and off, relays clicking randomly all when the truck is off.
I'm hoping that I've caught it early, and I just need to dry and clean the contacts on the GEM and fuse block. It seems tricky to get those out, and I don't want to start yanking on things. No direction in the Haynes manual. Any pointers? Do I need to remove the bolted-on connectors on the back of the GEM before removing? It's pretty tight in there, lots of little things to break.

Thanks,
Todd

BobbyDiesel71 12-09-2010 05:11 PM

details for your truck? yr, engine,etc?

WestCoastTodd 12-09-2010 08:24 PM

Right, good question: 2000 f250, 5.4L with automatic.

Thanks,
Todd

JockD 12-09-2010 09:31 PM

Before 2002:

Remove he ground terminals from the battery. Remove cover trim from main fuse block area under the steering column. Using a 10mm socket, remove the two large plugs from the back of the fuse block. One bolt for each plug. Move the harness/plugs up out of the way.

Using a 10mm deep socket remove the two(?) nuts and one bolt (might be two bolts and one nut) from the top and bottom of the front of the fuse block. Manuever the fuse block in and down to remove it from the back of the supports.

Remove the GEM from the back of the fuse block by removing the bolts with the 10mm socket. Inspect and clean the contacts.

Install by reversing this procedure. :-D

WestCoastTodd 12-09-2010 10:41 PM

Perfect, thanks Jock. I'll pull it tomorrow morning, and hopefully a little drying time (and a touch of compressed air) will solve all those irritating problems. I'd really rather not have to cough up for a new GEM!

Thanks,
Todd

WestCoastTodd 12-10-2010 07:03 PM

I got the fuse block and GEM out without too much difficulty. It's a little tight working under there, but not too bad. I found unbolting the parking brake release lever helped a bit.

All the weird bugs are gone now too - the GEM was totally dry, but the two big connectors at the back of the fuse block were pretty wet. I also took the covers on those connectors off - there we a lot of water under those too.

Now, to try to half-assed seal up the windshield until I can really fix it in the spring. Damn rust.

JockD 12-11-2010 01:37 AM

Sounds like you are making progress. Use some dielectric grease on/in the plugs when you put them back into the fuse block. It will help keep the water out.

possum2possum 08-03-2015 09:39 PM

To JockD I was re-installing a 2001 F-250 7.3 fuse panel and was wondering is there anyway to install the wiring harness blocks on the back of a 2001 F-250 7.3 super duty fuse block in the wrong hole.Hopefully the blocks will only install one way and That I cannot put one of the wiring harness blocks in the wrong hole. Please help me.
thanks,
george

THEDUKE61 08-17-2015 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by possum2possum (Post 15546892)
To JockD I was re-installing a 2001 F-250 7.3 fuse panel and was wondering is there anyway to install the wiring harness blocks on the back of a 2001 F-250 7.3 super duty fuse block in the wrong hole.Hopefully the blocks will only install one way and That I cannot put one of the wiring harness blocks in the wrong hole. Please help me.
thanks,
george

They should go on only one way

billium 07-08-2018 12:32 PM

Couple of decent videos by other guys....

...you can hear the relays buzzing at about 4:00...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raxl...youtu.be&t=300

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HneD...youtu.be&t=617

I coated my PCB (printed circuit board) with CorrosionX "conformal coating" spray. I also sprayed it into the wire-way on the back of the fuse block. I pasted the plug sockets full of dielectric grease. My hope is that the grease will be a dam to keep further water out.

Thejudge 07-08-2018 01:27 PM

Did this job on my f150.

You can get contact cleaner like Blue Shower that is safe for electronics and will flash off and leave no residue.

I had my windshield pulled and replaced as well as removed the cowling under the wipers and used flexseal spray under that area to keep it from possible backing up into that area again.

I also made a makeshift form and sprayed against it with the flex seal to direct water away from possible running onto the fuse block under the hood right there if you run a water hose on the roof with the hood up you can see where a little dike area would be beneficial.

Wdial 08-15-2018 06:45 PM

New member needs a little help

I am having some issues with my 2002 F250 2wd 7.3 diesel. The dome lite, park lites, door locks, power windows, key fob, etc seems to work when they want to. Everything points to the GEM. I have searched for videos for help. The only ones I have found are for 2000 or 2001 models. My fuse panel is different then in these videos. I removed the four bolts and pulled the fuse panel forward to see if the GEM was behind it. It isn’t. Questions.
1. Does the 2002 have a GEM?
2. If so, where is it?
3. Is there a link that can show me how to remove and replace it?