Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   '08 F250 - low noise when steering or braking at low speeds (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1017709-08-f250-low-noise-when-steering-or-braking-at-low-speeds.html)

rdollie 12-08-2010 06:57 AM

'08 F250 - low noise when steering or braking at low speeds

I mentioned it during my last service visit to the dealer but they couldn't duplicate this one. I have a low noise almost like a whine that I can hear when making sharp turns or braking in a parking lot. There is no vibration I can feel in the steering wheel or brakes though. To my ear the problem is getting a little bit louder.

I'm about to head to the dealer again for a part replacement and thought I'd ask the group here for any advice on what to ask the dealer to check if anybody else has encountered this problem?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Russell

p.s. - I struck out with the search engine (found similar reports from older trucks but no definitive diagnosis.)

DAVE67FD 12-08-2010 07:35 AM

Try to be more specific.
Does it happen "only" when braking or "only" when making sharp turns or "only" happens when doing both? Is the sound within the cab or is more excessive outside? (with window down for example).

rdollie 12-08-2010 07:42 AM

Good questions.

It can happen at times only when braking OR only when steering. However, at times, when it is happening with steering I can brake and the sound gets slightly louder. I've tried it with the window down and really don't hear much of the noise that way. It seems to emanate from the front end and up through the firewall.

STEELHQ 12-08-2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by rdollie (Post 9657544)
Good questions.

It can happen at times only when braking OR only when steering. However, at times, when it is happening with steering I can brake and the sound gets slightly louder. I've tried it with the window down and really don't hear much of the noise that way. It seems to emanate from the front end and up through the firewall.

My 2010 f250 makes the same noise its like a humming sound?

rdollie 12-08-2010 09:28 AM

Yes, somewhere between hum and low-pitch low-frequency whine.I only noticed it over the past few weeks and the truck has just under 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted by STEELHQ (Post 9657658)
My 2010 f250 makes the same noise its like a humming sound?

krewat 12-08-2010 09:31 AM

On the PSD, both the brakes (Hydro-boost) and the power steering are boosted by the same thing, the power steering pump.

I would see if your power steering fluid is up to the right level, and if it is, have someone move the steering wheel and apply the brake while you listen with the hood up. The noise is probably coming from the power steering pump, and if so, it might need to be replaced.

It's probably a bypass valve in the pump that's making noise.

Or, somehow, someone put the wrong fluid in the system.

TenHoles 12-08-2010 10:58 AM

My V10 has hydroboost as well and it was making a similar noise this summer. Ended up being low on P/S fluid due to the input shaft on the P/S pump was leaking. I just pulled the pump out, pulled the pulley off, replaced the seal and put it all back together. Haven't heard the noise since.

STEELHQ 12-08-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by rdollie (Post 9657908)
Yes, somewhere between hum and low-pitch low-frequency whine.I only noticed it over the past few weeks and the truck has just under 15,000 miles.

Yes thats the sound i get but my truck only has 4000 miles and its the 5.4 gas.

cut38 12-08-2010 11:53 AM

I have an 01 f350 that makes the same noise and its driving me crazy.Mine started when a Ps line ruptured and leaked all the fluid out. I replaced the line and the PS pump and that is when the noise started. I've been living with it for about a year now and any help at fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated. On a side note, the PS fluid level is good and I've talked to a ford mechanic at a local dealer and he seems to think that it's air in the system. I've tried getting the air out of the system but the noise is still there. Also the steering and brakes work fine, its just the irritating noise that I can't get rid of.