Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Tennessee to Texas (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1017609-tennessee-to-texas.html)

DMOtwell 12-07-2010 08:13 PM

Tennessee to Texas

2011 6.2L Ford F 350 , DRW, 4:30 limited slip rear end, 17" wheels ,4 x 4
Towing a 5th wheel trailer Approximate weight 15,000 lbs +/-.
Traveled from Middle Tennessee and San Antonio Texas. in the past week.
These are the stats from the drive.

25.49 hours,
171.9 gallons,
1215 miles.
Average 53 mph,
7.1 miles per gallon

As a convert from a 6.0L and 6.4L diesel this trip has been an adjustment.. When you drive with your senses as I do, the difference between the two is quite an adjustment.
I went with gas because of the lack of mechanics for the diesels. and the frustration with trip interruptions due to failures. We travel 6 months a year all over the country. Also the sight of lifting the cab off to do engine work never did give me comfort down the road. I simply got tired of the added expense and break downs over the past 5 years.
I agree with all previous comments regarding the six speed transmission shift points. I have used the manual, tow haul and normal over the trip. and none is quite satisfactory. It jumps to lower gears to quick, and stays in gear to long on acceleration under load. Some adjustment would be appreciated.
I hope this is helpful and is useful to all.

nico963 12-07-2010 08:37 PM

Thanks for posting that info!

butch50 12-09-2010 03:06 PM

Thanks for the report.

This is one of the things I have been looking for. Your 5er is right at 3,000 to 4,000# heavier than mine. I'm hoping to get right at 8 to 9 towing at 60 to 65 with the 4.30 rear.

What speed where you traveling? Your average MPH is really good for that many miles. You must have stayed in the driver seat pretty straight. I always have to stop every 1 1/2 to 2 hours for wife to go tinkle. Anytime you have to keep stopping it really cuts into average MPH. When I'm out in our little Miata I can do much better MPH but I go a lot faster in it than in the truck towing.:D

5 Star Tuning 12-09-2010 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by butch50 (Post 9664173)
Thanks for the report.

This is one of the things I have been looking for. Your 5er is right at 3,000 to 4,000# heavier than mine. I'm hoping to get right at 8 to 9 towing at 60 to 65 with the 4.30 rear.

What speed where you traveling? Your average MPH is really good for that many miles. You must have stayed in the driver seat pretty straight. I always have to stop every 1 1/2 to 2 hours for wife to go tinkle. Anytime you have to keep stopping it really cuts into average MPH. When I'm out in our little Miata I can do much better MPH but I go a lot faster in it than in the truck towing.:D

We have a 10k 5ver and get 9 to 9.5 max on flat hwy 60-65...and we have 4.30 gears in our truck. I dont see any reason why you could not get 8-9 towing unless your in some extreme mountains.

DMOtwell 12-11-2010 06:47 AM

2 nd Leg San Antonio to Benson, AZ

MPG 8.2
Ave speed 54
Odometer reads 2215 mile (still new)

The difference in this leg (900 miles) was the lack of a head wind for most of the trip. There were a couple of climbs to 4800 ft +/-. All in all I was pleased.
The truck handles as well as any I've had. I just have to adjust to the higher RPM's of a gas engine.
Will stay in the Southwest till April then back to TN.
Will report on return trip

Front Runner 12-12-2010 12:38 AM

Great reports!

Adjusting to higher rpms is something all of us former diesel owners have had to get used to. The 6.2 delivers power very good at higher rpms.

When towing heavy I always use the manual mode on the interstate. That way I can control when it downshifts.

Travel safe!