Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   What size drop for hitch for my truck? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1017180-what-size-drop-for-hitch-for-my-truck.html)

Future_LEO 12-06-2010 03:54 PM

What size drop for hitch for my truck?

I am moving this weekend and renting a U-Haul 6x12 trailer. Should be a quick move.

My truck is lifted 4" and has 37" tires. Was thinking 5 1/4" drop hitch? Or would I need more/less.

Thanks

dkf 12-06-2010 04:00 PM

It depends on the trailer and how much weight you put in it. I don't think 5 1/4" will be enough drop. With the tandem axle utility trailer I pull I usually use a 4" drop however if the load is more front heavy I have a 2" also. Sometime I'm going to make a 3" drop. My 04' 250 is stock height with 33" tires on it. Drops are not that expensive so I always have more than 1 (with ball) and a pintle. The trailer should take a 2" ball.

sandmanf250 12-06-2010 07:01 PM

move

if it's a short move it wont make.

mwsF250 12-06-2010 07:05 PM

Yeah, the hitch height of trailers can vary quite a bit. I suspect U-Hauls tend to be on the lowish side as they are designed to be compatable with what the typical renter would be using. SUV's, half ton 2WDs, or even large cars), so I predict you'll need closer to 8".

KC8QVO 12-06-2010 08:08 PM

I bought a Buyers Products 3-ball heigh adjustable hitch about 5 years ago. Best hitch investment I've made. I have all balls I need and I can adjust the height to whatever I need.

I can't stand it when I see some numbnutt pulling a trailer where the truck and trailer make a V. Nor can I stant the ones that look like ^. Adjust the hitch to pull the trailer level - thats how its supposed to be.

The only variation to this I could understand is if the angle of the ramps on a trailer is too sharp between the top of the ramp(s) and the bed of the trailer for what you are loading to clear. If it was my rig I would just drop the jack and crank it back up when I was ready to roll. More time/effort, but to me its worth it.

Those UHauls won't have a whole lot of toung weight for a SD. When you load it I would have the hitch adjusted to where the angle of the toung is barely climbing towards the truck, if any.

Also - a BIG tip - don't load it light on the toung!!! Those things are notorious for fishtailing when not loaded properly. I've done it. Make sure the majority of the weight you're loading is in the front.

Future_LEO 12-07-2010 03:06 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I may swing by the U-haul place I'm getting it and take some measurements and figure it out that way. I really want an adjustable one, but they are like $150+. Money is tight with the move this weekend and in 2 weeks making a trip back home to Ohio for the Holidays. If I can come up with the funds, then I might snag an adjustable one...we'll see. :-drink