Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Spindle Arm Ball Replacement (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1016613-spindle-arm-ball-replacement.html)

eman92082 12-04-2010 08:04 PM

Spindle Arm Ball Replacement

Howdy Friends,

'49 1/2 ton - Stock Front End

The Ball on my Spindle Arm is slightly worn and since I've rebuilt my Drag Link and have a new Pitman Arm, I thought it might make sense to change it. The sucker is seriously staked in place.

I note that the exploded view of the assembly shows a tapered part (PN 3131) that is held in place with a Castle Nut and Cotter Pin. Has anybody replaced one of these and if so, was the hole tapered or did you have to have it taper-reamed?

Dawg-a-Saurus

ALBUQ F-1 12-04-2010 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Parts CD says that F-1's, '48 - '52, had an integral ball. '53 -on and some of the heavier '48-'52's had balls that were replaceable. Does yours have a castle nut? Not like the Parts CD is always right.

eman92082 12-04-2010 11:13 PM

You are right Ross. My Bad.

I was looking at the wrong illustration on my CD. Not the first time I've done that either. Mine does indeed match illustration P552.

I measured the ball with a Mike and although it looks really worn, it's really not as bad as it looks. It's only worn .020 and there is no galling. So I think I'll go with it.

Thanks for the help pointing that out.

Ernie

underthebridgejim 12-04-2010 11:49 PM

Glad to hear yours is ok, i had to drill out and ream mine. Then weld in a new ball. I guess i could have also rethreaded for the new ball, hind site is always 20/20. oh well it will out live me. ha ha! (jimmy)

4tl8ford 12-05-2010 08:32 AM

Press fit - I've seen them heated and smacked with a hammer, acted like a missle launcher - I've drilled all mine out.
There are some replacements with threaded ends.

bobbytnm 12-05-2010 10:25 AM

Dawg,

Just run any old bolt through the hole, drop the drag link on it and make several wraps around teh whole mess with some bailing wire andhead out onto the freeway.....you'll be fine.

You can press them out easy enough. When I built my steering I made made my own link between the pitman arm and the steering arm using the Toyo parts. I ended up pressing out the Ford ball stud and using the Toyo ball stud.

I think I've seen the ball stud inseveral catalogs from the usual vendors, LMC, etc

Bobby

wulleebullee 12-06-2010 09:16 PM

I recently replaced one on a 52 F1. First, I ground off the bottom of the ball stud flush with the spindle arm, then drilled it out. Next, I pressed in the new one, heated the bottom that protruded through the arm and star-brad it with a chisel/punch. I found it at Early Ford of California decently priced.

jimcar-9 01-27-2014 12:43 PM

Hey guys

I just borrow this thread.

56 stock front suspension, would "wulleebullee" way be the way to go for me? The new stud has a steering axel splines look a like so a figure it needs to be pressed in and then heated and "forged" to lock it in?

f100 1957 07-08-2014 10:13 PM

Do you have the parts number fo spindle arm F100 1957 LH

thank's