Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maryland Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum186/)
-   -   Shop in Southern Maryland? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1014757-shop-in-southern-maryland.html)

fastcarsspeed 11-29-2010 12:49 PM

Shop in Southern Maryland?

I have a 2007 Expedition and the Dealer wants 700 to replace the plugs in it. Can anyone recommend a shop in Southern Maryland that has the extraction tool and doesn't charge and arm and a leg to replace the 5.4 liter plugs? I am in Calvert near Solomons.

BPofMD 11-29-2010 04:15 PM

Have you even tried to pull any of the plugs yourself? If you squirt them with PB Blaster a day or two before you tackle the job, it shouldn't be a big problem. Squirt them more than once with the PB Blaster and let it soak a day, then do it again and pull 'em the next day. Unless any of them are already broken off, you shouldn't have a problem.

Junior and Charlie, if you are reading this, don't you agree?

fastcarsspeed 11-29-2010 09:25 PM

See I have heard so many differing opinions on this and since the truck as 109k on it and the risk of having a plug break off in the head I am not a big fan.

Hwyman3 11-30-2010 06:50 AM

I've used Jimmy's Towing in Waldorf many times. They are honest, reasonable and do great work. 301.843.6800

BPofMD 11-30-2010 07:05 AM

Insure they are familiar with the Ford Modular Engine and it's spark plug problems. I have the Lincoln with the 4,6 and I've never had a problem replacing plugs.

Hwyman3 11-30-2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by BPofMD (Post 9618866)
Insure they are familiar with the Ford Modular Engine and it's spark plug problems. I have the Lincoln with the 4,6 and I've never had a problem replacing plugs.

They are very familiar with them. They are the ones who work on my two modulars if it's over my head.

fastcarsspeed 11-30-2010 01:17 PM

Called Jimmy's and the guy that answered was nice but was only quoting me 2 hours to replace the plugs. The guy that typically works on them was not there. Have to call back in the morning. Marks Auto in Lexington park quoted me 240 plus 80 a plug that breaks.

BPofMD 11-30-2010 03:39 PM

I costs big time to be dumb! And I ain't talking about YOU! Just wondering, have you checked it out with Prince Frederick Ford?

fastcarsspeed 11-30-2010 04:25 PM

Yeah wasnt feeling it. That is who I took it to first was PF Ford and they quoted me 700 to replace the plugs oh and another 1500.00 to replace the pass exhaust manifold due to a crack. Said they would probably have to replace the head so that is the price. I picked the truck up and won't go back unless its a recall. I typically wrench on my own stuff and have the garage and the tools but have heard horror stories on the 5.4 3 valve engine and plugs. Really love this truck but between the plug design and the aluminum head manifold problems I have heard and seen I am really second guessing myself about not picking up a used excursion diesel.

dustybumpers 11-30-2010 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by BPofMD (Post 9616341)
Have you even tried to pull any of the plugs yourself? If you squirt them with PB Blaster a day or two before you tackle the job, it shouldn't be a big problem. Squirt them more than once with the PB Blaster and let it soak a day, then do it again and pull 'em the next day. Unless any of them are already broken off, you shouldn't have a problem.

Junior and Charlie, if you are reading this, don't you agree?

sorry...... work has got my tounge. the pb blaster is a must, plus there is a special tool that you need. the plugs are actually 2 piece, an break real easy. soak good, use the tool, take your time, and plan on a whole day. you can feel it when they start to break, and you soak some more. 8 plugs, you will break at least 1, and you can still get it with the tool, will take all day, but can be done. use the same type/style plug back in. the plugs are the same issue weather 10,000 miles, or 100,000.

BPofMD 11-30-2010 06:37 PM

What is the tool Charlie? Where can you get one and cost? Do you know?

BPofMD 11-30-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by fastcarsspeed (Post 9621089)
Yeah wasnt feeling it. That is who I took it to first was PF Ford and they quoted me 700 to replace the plugs oh and another 1500.00 to replace the pass exhaust manifold due to a crack. Said they would probably have to replace the head so that is the price. I picked the truck up and won't go back unless its a recall.

I wouldn't go back there either!

dustybumpers 11-30-2010 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by BPofMD (Post 9621713)
What is the tool Charlie? Where can you get one and cost? Do you know?

got mine from my buddy, it's from k&d, I'll pick you one up for your mark, next time I'm up at mom's

Hwyman3 12-01-2010 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by BPofMD (Post 9621798)
I wouldn't go back there either!

I've never had much luck with most of the Ford Dealers in Southern Maryland, with the exception of Hunt Ford in La Plata. The rest of the dealers in Southern Maryland (Waldorf, Prince Frederick, Lexington Park, Leonardtown) are all owned by the same person.

Hwyman3 12-01-2010 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by fastcarsspeed (Post 9620385)
Called Jimmy's and the guy that answered was nice but was only quoting me 2 hours to replace the plugs. The guy that typically works on them was not there. Have to call back in the morning. Marks Auto in Lexington park quoted me 240 plus 80 a plug that breaks.

Jimmy's is really good. Mention to them you talked to Greg (red Mustang), they'll take care of you.