Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Quite a story about a pretty truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1013241-quite-a-story-about-a-pretty-truck.html)

denverslim 11-24-2010 07:19 AM

Quite a story about a pretty truck

Here is a very interesting link about a pretty truck sent to me that I can't verify. What do you guys/gals think?...slim
Dave Hill Pick-Up

falconwagon62 11-24-2010 07:31 AM

no wonder a new Ford Fussion is 26k..LOL

I guess good for him, never knew Ford used so many aftermarket parts and sold as "factory"

ALBUQ F-1 11-24-2010 08:27 AM

I am VERY skeptical; about the price paid, that these were "factory" options. "Dealer" options, probably. Why would a farmer want a McC? It is in beautiful condition but looks like a pimp mobile IMO.

r_reed 11-24-2010 09:00 AM

i'm with ross on this one. why would a farmer need a compass on a farm truck? am guessing some research is due on this story. it is a nice looking truck but too many do-dads for my liking. not a trucker's truck IMO. dick r

Doc 11-24-2010 09:31 AM

Pretty little truck. I agree story is hard to believe. $800,000 ??? Am I reading that right?

bobbytnm 11-24-2010 09:50 AM

I agree with you Ross, I would guess at "dealer" installed options and not "factory" options. Yeah, they are kinda neat accessories but when put all together its just too much. Out here in New Mexico it would fit right in cruising in the south valley

Bobby

firstrider 11-24-2010 10:08 AM

Has any one ever heard the story of the BS'er vs. the Snowman ?Would be skeptical of this one ?????????????????????????????/

52 Merc 11-24-2010 10:26 AM

The one major thing this story is lacking to make it believable is Why? Why did Ford build 35 supercharged pickups in 1947? Why was Ford willing to pay $800,000 for this truck which is obviously altered far, far from stock, aledged factory options notwithstanding? (chrome, wood bed, luggage truck, etc.) Where is the so-called "documentation"? Who were the "team of Ford employees" who did the "authentication"? I have to believe if for some reason Ford actually did build 35 special purpose pickups like this, they would be very well known and books would have been written about them. I've never heard of such thing. Sign me up on the skeptic list.

audioguru76 11-24-2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 9597061)
I am VERY skeptical; about the price paid, that these were "factory" options. "Dealer" options, probably. Why would a farmer want a McC? It is in beautiful condition but looks like a pimp mobile IMO.

didn't say where the original farmer was located... and farmers grow corn, which makes it possible that he was former moonshiner that just got hooked on hot rod vehicles...?

Originally Posted by r_reed (Post 9597170)
i'm with ross on this one. why would a farmer need a compass on a farm truck? am guessing some research is due on this story. it is a nice looking truck but too many do-dads for my liking. not a trucker's truck IMO. dick r

maybe he had a horrible sense of direction and had a ton of land... a guy could get lost on a big enough piece of frozen Canadian land.

r_reed 11-24-2010 10:45 AM

here's what the HAMBers are saying:

History RARE 1947 Ford Pick Up, Sells Big Bucks - THE H.A.M.B.

ALBUQ F-1 11-24-2010 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by bobbytnm (Post 9597353)
I agree with you Ross, I would guess at "dealer" installed options and not "factory" options. Yeah, they are kinda neat accessories but when put all together its just too much. Out here in New Mexico it would fit right in cruising in the south valley

Bobby

You'd need to add curb feelers and Daytons, tho! :-dancing1

Originally Posted by r_reed (Post 9597514)

That thread got closed quicker than any I can remember; I can guess why

Julies Cool F1 11-24-2010 01:12 PM

Well there's a bit of "fish story" telling going on with this. For example: The "factory installed cruise control with the knob and dash cable." Does anyone besides me think this to be the standard "throttle" cable.

That is not a Ford Visor. It's aftermarket., etc.

More than 3/4 of a million dollars? Ford could rebuild one out of junk and parts for 1/10 this. I can realistically see them paying $80,000 if it's that rare, unless it was specially built for and owned by Babe Ruth or something.

Although on the other hand if you've ever watched a Barrett-Jackson Auction, you know there to be insanity in the automotive world.

Mervy49 11-24-2010 02:22 PM

I also am skeptical. In all my years I have never heard of trucks like that for 1947, and only 35 made? I call on that one. I have been an old Ford truck enthusiast for almost as long as this (suppose) truck and this is the first time I ever heard of it. I'll admit I have been wrong before but I don't think so this time....

In those years Ford was regrouping after the war and they were building as many trucks and cars as they possibly could. They wouldn't be putting together fancy examples at such limited numbers.

ALBUQ F-1 11-24-2010 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1 (Post 9598012)
Well there's a bit of "fish story" telling going on with this. For example: The "factory installed cruise control with the knob and dash cable."

Does anyone besides me think this to be the standard "throttle" cable.

LOL, I bet you're right! I wonder if this mailman is just pulling the reporter's legs?

HILLBILLY BOB 11-24-2010 07:28 PM

It sounds like a lot of B.S.