Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Any experience with 2007 Expedition 4WD in offroad conditions ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1011005-any-experience-with-2007-expedition-4wd-in-offroad-conditions.html)

René1234 11-16-2010 04:38 PM

Any experience with 2007 Expedition 4WD in offroad conditions ?

Hello,

is there anybody who can tell me his experiences with the 2007 Expedition 4WD in offroad conditions ? And in snow ? Of course, much is depending on the right tires, but how about engine, transmission and chassis performance ?

Thanks.

Regards, René.

eddiemoney 11-17-2010 03:52 AM

I have driven in fairly flat fields and it did fine in 2WD, never needed 4. . . .best I have there.

In snow, no problems. 8"+ plowing through is just fine, 4 Auto seems to get it done. I ran in 4 hi once in deep snow. .. . but I think 4 auto would have done it based on what i have learned about the system

eddiemoney 11-17-2010 03:54 AM

should also mention, i have factory 20s with pirellis

07EXPYEL 11-24-2010 11:37 AM

I got stuck in sand on the end of a 10 mile sandy river bottom tour of Canyon de Chelly. This was an Indian guide tour of the canyon, which consisted in driving in the river bottom and trying to follow the ruts left by others. At the time I had the crappy stock 18" Pirelli scorpin tires, which are basically street tires. Ground clearance sucks, and with the front and rear indpendent suspension, there's lots of stuff to drag you down.
To be honest, I'm surprized I didn't get stuck earlier considering the amount of sand we travelled through. The traction control throttle worked against me when was starting to get stuck, when I needed to push the gas pedal for more speed and momentum, the system sensed the wheel slip and reduced the throttle. This can be disabled in steps for roll control and traction control by pushing the dash button and holding for a couple of seconds (read the owners manual).
We were loaded heavy with food and travel gear (including a roof rack) for 7 people plus the Indian guide (8 total). I had my Dashawk engine monitor and showed engine and transmission temperatures just as high as towing a heavy trailer in the mountains. Sand and snow can really work the drivetrain hard.

René1234 01-29-2012 04:34 AM

Locate power source for backup camera monitor ?

Wrong thread -sorry !

chuck s 01-29-2012 07:05 AM

I got "stuck" at the local bank drive thru last winter in the snow piled up by plowing the main lot. Truck just wouldn't go anywhere until I remembered to turn off the traction control ...

-- Chuck

rick chi-town 01-30-2012 09:34 PM

talk about dusting off a year old thread, but I'll chime in too... I have no off-road experiences to talk about at all, but I live in Northern Illinois and if anyone may recall one of a few blizzards we had last winter, i'm here to tell you, my Expy sucked... no, sucked bad. I ended up in two different ditches on two seperate occasions with this truck. No show-boating, no goofing around, just lousy tires. One time, just slid off the road going about 25 mph. thought, ok, no problem, 4lo to the rescue, nope. Actually it was about a 20 year old bad-a** Ford F150 to the rescue!! Saw me in the ditch, and just felt like helping out... ah, the brotherhood of Ford ownership. I atributed it the factory 20in Pirelli's, you can have 'em.

So this year, I put on dedicated snow tires in the form of Bridgestone Blizzaks and have only had a couple smaller/lighter snowfalls, but got around everywhere, with no slippage at all! Alot to be said for good tires, I suppose.

But, agree with above, these are not set up at all to abuse off-road, to pretty in the form of molded plastic bumpers to tear off, etc. Just enjoy the ride, and look good while doing it.