Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Possible Unibody F-150 for 2014? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1010410-possible-unibody-f-150-for-2014-a.html)

640 CI Aluminum FORD 11-14-2010 05:14 PM

Possible Unibody F-150 for 2014?

I just came across an article on pickuptrucks.com that state's the next gen F-150's set for 2014 or 2015 Ford is considering the use of lighter weight materials for the frame and (Minimally utilize Uni body like elements). Even so its a scary thought for me. Uni-body crossovers killed the SUV market. Will they do the same to the truck market? What are your thoughts on it?

Personally I say the light weight materials are a great idea, However Unibody components don't get me excited.

Here's the link for those who want to read it.
Sources Say: Ford Planning Innovative Changes Aimed at Fuel Efficiency in Next F-150 - PickupTrucks.com News

Also personally I find the drawing of next gen F-150's horribly ugly. I hope they don't ever look like that. I know they will most likely borrow some design cue's from that drawing but hopefully that's it.

tseekins 11-14-2010 05:35 PM

A uni-body F-150 doesn't bother me so much since the Superduty will still be the work horse. I think Grand Cherokee's are uni-body and they are rugged as hell and extremely competent off road.

The F-150 has taken on a persona that it never should have taken. The capabilities of a 4x2 F-150 XL reg cab are very close to that of a 4x2 F-250 gasser. What's the point?

Now the F-150 will essentially replace the Ranger. I think this truck is wearing too many hats.

akalogan 11-14-2010 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 9558537)
A uni-body F-150 doesn't bother me so much since the Superduty will still be the work horse. I think Grand Cherokee's are uni-body and they are rugged as hell and extremely competent off road.

The F-150 has taken on a persona that it never should have taken. The capabilities of a 4x2 F-150 XL reg cab are very close to that of a 4x2 F-250 gasser. What's the point?

Now the F-150 will essentially replace the Ranger. I think this truck is wearing too many hats.

On this point I think that you are correct. The point of the Modern Truck is to cover as many basis as it can, but when how far can you stretch a rubber band before it breaks? I am very excited about the heavy half tons but I do think that with the death of the ranger looming... Well what will be will be. Besides if they continue to lead the segment well I guess that is progress

YoGeorge 11-14-2010 06:39 PM

They have to get weight off somehow. The article says that the bed and cab will still be separate and besides Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, this is reminiscent of GM full size vans before 1996, all Dodge full size vans, which were unibodies. These vans could be done as cutaways with stub frames on the back for attachment of different boxes and the like. Building the cab as a unibody would also allow better crash protection for driver and passengers; the cab and frame would be easier to design as a safety capsule kind of structure.

Conceptual drawings never give a good idea of how a vehicle is gonna look; they look far more like spaceships in artist's renderings.

One disappointment for me is that the redesigned unibody Explorer has reduced weight--with the actual reduction being about 100 lbs or something. Sure ain't much of a reduction.

Should be interesting,
George

nruggiero 11-14-2010 07:12 PM

It will be interesting if they can make a unibody look tough or not.

efx4 11-14-2010 07:27 PM

Times are changing and changing with the times is necessary. The F series line is Ford's bread and butter and I doubt Ford will mess that up. If this happens to the F 150, I bet is will be a giant leap forward in innovation and design. If it can be executed well, I'm for it.

Joe Rotax 11-14-2010 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD (Post 9558433)
...I find the drawing of next gen F-150's horribly ugly.

Yup, it looks like a 5thgen Camaro morphed into a truck and the Camaro was fugly enough to begin with.

My 2010 150 better last 20 years because I don't think I'm going to like the new direction whatever it may be.

And, electric steering like on the 2011s - they can keep that too

tseekins 11-14-2010 07:44 PM

Gentlemen, pick up trucks of all name plates tend to trend in the same direction eventually. Ford is a leader and everyone will be watching.

Power Kid 11-14-2010 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by YoGeorge (Post 9558837)
They have to get weight off somehow. The article says that the bed and cab will still be separate and besides Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, this is reminiscent of GM full size vans before 1996, all Dodge full size vans, which were unibodies. These vans could be done as cutaways with stub frames on the back for attachment of different boxes and the like. Building the cab as a unibody would also allow better crash protection for driver and passengers; the cab and frame would be easier to design as a safety capsule kind of structure.

Conceptual drawings never give a good idea of how a vehicle is gonna look; they look far more like spaceships in artist's renderings.

One disappointment for me is that the redesigned unibody Explorer has reduced weight--with the actual reduction being about 100 lbs or something. Sure ain't much of a reduction.

Should be interesting,
George

XLent point re Exploder weight loss.

YoGeorge 11-14-2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by nruggiero (Post 9558997)
It will be interesting if they can make a unibody look tough or not.

No reason they couldn't. Think of a late 80's Jeep Cherokee with 33" mudders and a big lift kit. Not only looks tough, but *is* tough.

I personally don't think that fancy trucks trimmed out like a plush living room look tough. The overstuffed F150 and Mark LT type trucks are designed to be giant limousines for women IMO.

My last pickup had rubber mats on the floor and woven vinyl seats. :)

George

Jam3z 11-14-2010 08:23 PM

640 CI, thanks for the link. It was an interesting article. I loved the concept truck drawing and my first thought was: OMG, they dropped the F100 and they're going to update and bring back the Ranchero! That would be cool.
I do plan to keep my 2010 SCrew 4.6 3v with the 6 speed for quite a few years. Whatever the replacement options are in 6 or 7 years, I am sure that they will be good.

Mudd460 11-14-2010 08:39 PM

Ford had a parallel line of unibody F100s right beside the regular F100s back in the early 60s. quite rare and collectable now!

640 CI Aluminum FORD 11-14-2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by YoGeorge (Post 9559312)
I personally don't think that fancy trucks trimmed out like a plush living room look tough. The overstuffed F150 and Mark LT type trucks are designed to be giant limousines for women IMO.

My last pickup had rubber mats on the floor and woven vinyl seats. :)

George

You are very right. My current truck is a 2003 Ford Ranger with manual everything, rubber floors, and a 5-speed. Only has a few option's on it like a decent CD player and a V6 engine. I am planning on trading up for a 2011 F-150 FX4, But not because of Luxury, more so because I really like the way the FX4 package looks.

I can't stand these new overly luxed trucks. I admit I am sucker for the FX4 F-150, Not because of the luxury it provides, But I think the package as a whole looks great, The color matched bumpers, The black trim on the tail lights and headlights (2011 model year), The tires. But that is as far as my taste for luxury goes. Honestly I really wish I could get a FX4 with manual window's and locks. But oh well.

As far the King Ranch and Platinum go, well if you need that much luxury, then you probably should be looking into a different class of vehicle.

akalogan 11-14-2010 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD (Post 9559862)
You are very right. My current truck is a 2003 Ford Ranger with manual everything, rubber floors, and a 5-speed. Only has a few option's on it like a decent CD player and a V6 engine. I am planning on trading up for a 2011 F-150 FX4, But not because of Luxury, more so because I really like the way the FX4 package looks.

I can't stand these new overly luxed trucks. I admit I am sucker for the FX4 F-150, Not because of the luxury it provides, But I think the package as a whole looks great, The color matched bumpers, The black trim on the tail lights and headlights (2011 model year), The tires. But that is as far as my taste for luxury goes. Honestly I really wish I could get a FX4 with manual window's and locks. But oh well.

As far the King Ranch and Platinum go, well if you need that much luxury, then you probably should be looking into a different class of vehicle.

I am sorry but I just don't buy that. My wife's 07 edge has heated leather seats. Now I used to make fun of heated seats, but now A nice and toasty butt on a cold morning makes me look at my basic little ranger and kind of wish for my own nice and toasty butt seats! A very good friend of mine uses his f250 with nice and toasty heated seats to feed his cattle every winter and his completely arthritic knees (too many years riding rough stock) could not be happier.

YoGeorge 11-14-2010 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by akalogan (Post 9560019)
I am sorry but I just don't buy that. My wife's 07 edge has heated leather seats. Now I used to make fun of heated seats, but now A nice and toasty butt on a cold morning makes me look at my basic little ranger and kind of wish for my own nice and toasty butt seats! A very good friend of mine uses his f250 with nice and toasty heated seats to feed his cattle every winter and his completely arthritic knees (too many years riding rough stock) could not be happier.

This thought started with the question whether a unibody truck could be "tough".

Heated seats, if you want them, can definitely be comfortable--and therapeutic if you have health issues, but they sure don't make a truck "tough" IMO. If you've been around for a few years, reflect on what a pickup truck was in the 50's or 60's. People bought trucks back then to use them to carry stuff. If your butt was cold, you put on yer wool long johns. :)

George