Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Rear filler neck and hose... UGHHHHH (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1010141-rear-filler-neck-and-hose-ughhhhh.html)

smashclash 11-13-2010 06:58 PM

Rear filler neck and hose... UGHHHHH

What to do, what to do???

So I finally put together my rear tank and now when I go to the gas station I can't get it to fill up correctly. The gas nozzle constantly clicks thinking it's full. This is because it's not burping correctly to let the air out. However, I guess because it's fairly horizontal at this point where it connects to the rubber hose it's not flowing fast enough into the tank and therefore clogging and throwing the gas nozzle off.

Here's what I've found out. The below picture is my rear filler neck. It looks to be basically divided in half which I assume means fuel flows down the bottom and air is supposed to escape from the top half. The metal filler neck connects to the rubber hose which then connects to the fuel tank.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...1-13113547.jpg

I pulled the filler necks out of an 89. The metal portion of the filler neck is the same dimensions however it is not divided in half. Instead there is a hard plastic tube that runs down it and is supposed to go into the fuel tank. Below is a pic of that filler neck with my 86 filler neck:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...1-13113434.jpg

I tried installing this in mine but ran into a problem. I could not get the filler neck in all the way. I think this is because the fuel tank in my 86 has a small eyelit within the filler nipple which I assume is there to accept a hose that would allow the air to burp. I know when I switched the front tank there was a smaller plastic hose that was much more pliable that fit inside the eyelit within the nipple compared to this one from the 89.

I went to an auto parts store website and although the outside dimensions of an 86 and an 89 rear tank are identical they are different part #'s. I imagine the filler neck nipple could be one of the differences.

So my question is, how should I solve this? I figure I'm stuck and going to have to drop the tank. I could purchase a couple of feet of fuel line that's small enough to fit inside the eyelit in the tank and then fish it up the rubber hose and then up the 86's metal filler neck and forget the 89. There is no way to get into the 86's metal filler neck at the part where the nozzle goes in so the fuel hose would have to float inside the top portion of the filler neck. I'm not thrilled about that plan but I do not see any alternative. Does anyone know or have a picture of what the rear filler neck and rubber hose is supposed to look like? And how it connects?

ctubutis 11-13-2010 09:07 PM

You have it right, it's a plastic, flexible hose and works like the hollow handle
of a gallon bleach bottle or milk jug.

For your 80-86:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/638...erhose8086.gif

Need some color to separate the images: Oo.

1987+:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3...hose87plus.gif

This seems to be part number E0TZ-9049-C but I can't get it to show up
anyplace so I might have that wrong, it's only my second try at doing this. ;)
NumberDummy might be able to help but I haven't seen him online in a while
now, I'll see if I can point him here sometime later.

I have one of those hoses around in my garage someplace but not sure where
it's at. What kind of time frame for fixing this are you in?

BTW you shouldn't need to drop the tank for this.

The later model tanks also have a hole something like 5" in diameter for the
sending unit/fuel pump device.

smashclash 11-13-2010 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 9555707)
You have it right, it's a plastic, flexible hose and works like the hollow handle
of a gallon bleach bottle or milk jug.

For your 80-86:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/638...erhose8086.gif

Need some color to separate the images: Oo.

1987+:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3...hose87plus.gif

This seems to be part number E0TZ-9049-C but I can't get it to show up
anyplace so I might have that wrong, it's only my second try at doing this. ;)
NumberDummy might be able to help but I haven't seen him online in a while
now, I'll see if I can point him here sometime later.

I have one of those hoses around in my garage someplace but not sure where
it's at. What kind of time frame for fixing this are you in?

BTW you shouldn't need to drop the tank for this.

The later model tanks also have a hole something like 5" in diameter for the
sending unit/fuel pump device.

wow, where did you find those pictures? while at the auto parts store their fuel lines were rubber. I suppose this could work the same way as the plastic if I choose to go the 86 route (which I think is my only real option). From your pic though is it just me or does it look like the plastic hose would only go partial way up in the metal filler neck. Does that mean it's not attached? Or if it is, how the heck do you attach it?

As for dropping the tank I think it might be hard to fish a rubber or plastic line into that small eyelit in the tank without dropping it. But I'll certainly give it a shot before doing so.

As far as when I need it fixed it's not my DD so there's no rush. If the hose turns up in your garage please let me know!

EDIT: Just checked my "Engine" Ford service repair manual and see the pics you posted. I see the vent hose as # 9049.

ctubutis 11-13-2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by smashclash (Post 9555779)
wow, where did you find those pictures?

I bought a CD from hipoparts.com with the Master Parts Catalog for 80-89. :)
It's got scans of the original paper catalogs, NumberDummy advocates getting
a copy and doing your own homework before asking him so I finally did that to
keep from pestering him so much.

Had to talk to him on the phone to have him explain how to use it, though.

From your pic though is it just me or does it look like the plastic hose would only go partial way up in the metal filler neck. Does that mean it's not attached? Or if it is, how the heck do you attach it?

That's exactly what that means... Look at your picture, you're looking at
where you insert the gas pump nozzle (in the bottom half of the tube).

Turn that tube around and you'll see it looks pretty much exactly the same -
big part & small part, same eyelit.

The plastic tube merely slides into that eyelit making up the smaller part.

As for dropping the tank I think it might be hard to fish a rubber or plastic line into that small eyelit in the tank without dropping it.

I've dropped my rear tank 2-3-4 times on my own truck for a variety of
reasons by now but the last time I did it was over 3 years ago, I've forgotten
details like that.

At least on mine (81 F-350), the rubber filler tube is stuffed between the
frame & bed, I remember trying a variety of ways to to install the tank +
rubber & plastic hoses (already assembled as a unit) but I seem to recall not
having much luck and needing to remove the rubber & plastic pieces before
installing the tank. Maybe I had the tank partially dropped in order to put the
plastic & rubber pieces in place (the tank has the same eyelit) and then
stuffing it all up there and bolting it in, I honestly don't remember what I got to
work. ;)

You'd then need to install the plastic tube into the eyelit on the filler tube and
then attach said tube to the side of the bed.

EDIT: Just checked my "Engine" Ford service repair manual and see the pics you posted. I see the vent hose as # 9049.

Yeah... You take that number by the illustration to the text-only portion of the
parts manual where you'll find a prefix & suffix and sometimes also an entirely
different middle number.

The process is different for body parts, though, I'll have to talk to him some
more as I've done this (looked up parts for people here) more and gotten
confident that I'm at least doing the mechanical parts right.

The gas tank stuff might be considered body parts, though, I really don't know
but I *do* know I didn't have any luck with that E0TZ-9049-C number I came up
with.

But, I was able to find some of the surrounding part numbers, so.......?

I'll see if it gets warm enough tomorrow to search in my garage for ya.

Franklin2 11-13-2010 10:33 PM

You can't jerk the hose out of the 89 assembly you have and put it in your older filler neck? You can see the division you show in your picture of your filler is there to accept a hose. That's what the little dip in the middle is for. This inner hose likes to fall out, and then fuel splashes against it and cuts the gas station nozzle off also.

I would not worry about the clip inside the tank either, unless it's so large that the inner hose won't go past it.

smashclash 11-14-2010 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Franklin2 (Post 9555977)
You can't jerk the hose out of the 89 assembly you have and put it in your older filler neck? You can see the division you show in your picture of your filler is there to accept a hose. That's what the little dip in the middle is for. This inner hose likes to fall out, and then fuel splashes against it and cuts the gas station nozzle off also.

I would not worry about the clip inside the tank either, unless it's so large that the inner hose won't go past it.

that's the issue i have. the inner hose of the 89 won't go past the nipple on the tank due to the eyelit. I'm not sure even if I drop the tank I could get the 89 inner hose to fit inside the tanks nipple because of the eyelit. The plastic inner hose in the 89 is like PVC (very hard and doesn't flex). the vent hose in my 86 in the front tank was very pliable and felt almost like a cheap funnel extension plastic.

the problem is the 86 and 89 work opposite from one another. the 86 uses the outside of the hose for the fuel and the small inner hose is for venting. the 89 however is the opposite. it uses a larger inner tube to deliver the fuel and the outside tube burps the air. I wish I could see a pic of the nipple of an 89 tank. I would be there is no eyelit on them.

I think tomorrow I'm going to take a trip to the auto parts store and buy a couple feet of rubber fuel hose. then HOPEFULLY fish one end through the eyelit in the tank. if i'm successful there it should be a piece of cake putting it into the metal filler neck.

ctubutis 11-14-2010 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, Smash, what'd ya figure out?

*I* figured out something... that part number I gave yesterday is for a tube that's over 42"
long, that'd be overkill. ;)

You want E4TZ-9049-A and I found two places that each have one:

Klimesh Motor Sales
Calmar, IA 52132
563-562-3241

Dennis Carpenter
Concord Ford
CONCORD, NC 28027
Email: info@dennis-carpenter.com
Telephone 704-786-8139 Fax 704-786-8180.

EDIT: I also looked at your pic again, you're not showing the end where the fuel pump
nozzle goes but the end where the plastic tube goes, my mistake.

I also found mine in my garage:

smashclash 11-14-2010 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 9559090)
Hey, Smash, what'd ya figure out?

*I* figured out something... that part number I gave yesterday is for a tube that's over 42"
long, that'd be overkill. ;)

You want E4TZ-9049-A and I found two places that each have one:

Klimesh Motor Sales
Calmar, IA 52132
563-562-3241

Dennis Carpenter
Concord Ford
CONCORD, NC 28027
Email: info@dennis-carpenter.com
Telephone 704-786-8139 Fax 704-786-8180.

EDIT: I also looked at your pic again, you're not showing the end where the fuel pump
nozzle goes but the end where the plastic tube goes, my mistake.

I also found mine in my garage:

i spent the day wrestling around with the front end. (i'm also trying to change my axle pivot bushings and radius arm bushings). didn't get very far doing them either. :(

as for the filler neck i didn't decide on anything. i was actually waiting for your post to see if you had any more info. and i'm insanely jealous of that pictures contents!!!

smashclash 11-14-2010 07:43 PM

How did you determine Dennis Carpenter has it? I'm searching their site now and it's not finding the part #. Nor was able to manually find it in their online catalog.

ctubutis 11-14-2010 07:45 PM

partsvoice.com

ctubutis 11-14-2010 07:49 PM

BTW don't use any dashes in the part number when you input it into the search field.

Also, even though eee-zero-blah-blah is the correct number, some of these parts have been
input into the computer system as eee-letter-oh-blah-blah. I've gotten to substituting O for 0
anytime I see one.

On these places that allow multiple part number input fields, use zeros in one field and Os
in another, effectively searching on all variations at the same time.

ctubutis 11-14-2010 08:00 PM

I just tried on Dennis Carpenter's site and couldn't get it to work, either. I'd call 'em up....

smashclash 11-14-2010 08:01 PM

Thanks ctu. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'll spend the rest of tonight swallowing the fact that a flimsy piece of nylon that costs pennies to make is about to cost me at least $25. :(

ctubutis 11-14-2010 09:47 PM

BTW here is the section of the parts manual I found it in and the possibilities:

https://img820.imageshack.us/img820/...ubepartnos.gif

I honestly haven't measured the one I have, it just "seems like" it might be 19" long. ;)

NumberDummy has access to the Ford Parts Locator system (which I don't) and he may be
able to come up with more possibilities.

And, maybe he'll answer why I can't find that E0TZ number I was lookin' for yesterday.

Originally Posted by smashclash (Post 9559238)
I'll spend the rest of tonight swallowing the fact that a flimsy piece of nylon that costs pennies to make is about to cost me at least $25.

They're in business to make money, charging out the ass for (obsolete) parts is one way
of doing that. ;)

Did you have any luck with your rubber fuel hose idea?

NumberDummy 11-14-2010 11:38 PM

E0TZ9049C = Obsolete, no Ford Dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any.

E4TZ9049A = Obsolete, only Klimesh Motor Sales and Dennis Carpenter NOS Obsolete Parts have any.

Carpenter is not a Ford Dealer, sells repro & obsolete parts, here's another number = 800-476-9653.

For y'all to verify if the part is still available, or not...type the part number into FTE sponsor PARTSGUYEDCOM (Horizon Ford in Seattle) website.

Both of the above: No Parts Found = obsolete.

NOTE: Only basic part numbers are shown in illustrations, one must go to the text to get the complete part number.

smashclash: What's better, payin' 25 bucks for the part, or not being able to find it at all? E4TZ9049A = Last MSRP: $24.97.

And, once the number is listed here on FTE with the sources, 100's of people can see it. Act quickly, because by the time you make up your mind, it may be gone, sold to another.

Obsolete parts are hard to find...if you snooze...you loose.

And...y'all think you bought an old truck...but what you really bought is a hobby, and hobbies tend to be expensive.