Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Starts...then shuts off... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1009840-starts-then-shuts-off.html)

AndeyHall 11-12-2010 04:46 PM

Starts...then shuts off...

Well, after having my truck reflashed at Ford yesterday morning (although I'm not really sure this problem is because of that, maybe just a coincidence), I noticed that at idle rpms, it will studdor every once in a while like it's losing either fuel or oil pressure, and if you let it do it long enough without pressing the gas it would just shut off. Then this morning, I changed the fuel filters getting ready to make a trip up to NC, and after changing the fuel filters it would stay cranked just a few seconds and then just shut off almost right away. Yes, I primed it a TON before I tried cranking it. Again, the only way I found that I could keep it from shutting off was to hold the brake, start it and throw it in gear really fast, then hit the gas as soon as it was in gear. Any ideas? ICP and connector was just replaced like 4 months ago. Didn't think to check for codes this morning but it wasn't throwing any codes yesterday while it was doing it.

AndeyHall 11-14-2010 04:41 PM

Bump, nothing?

solaratomic 11-14-2010 05:19 PM

Have you checked the EGR valve?

AndeyHall 11-14-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by solaratomic (Post 9558457)
Have you checked the EGR valve?

I'm going to as soon as I get home. But if I have an EGR delete, what exactly could it be doing and what exactly would I be looking for?

solaratomic 11-14-2010 05:32 PM

Oh with a delete it shouldn't be a problem. You need a sig. Do you have any way to scan for codes or get live data? What year? Miles? etc?

AndeyHall 11-14-2010 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by solaratomic (Post 9558519)
Oh with a delete it shouldn't be a problem. You need a sig. Do you have any way to scan for codes or get live data? What year? Miles? etc?

??I do have a signature??? Not sure if it has anything to do with me posting from my blackberry. But it's an 03 with 170k miles, EGR delete and straight puped. I have an insight I can chec for codes with, but I'm almost positive it won't show up anything. Because it wasn't yesterday when I scanned it after it was doing this.

solaratomic 11-14-2010 05:45 PM

Yeah I can't see your sig, not sure of reason. I would be interested see what your ICP on IPR readings are.

tex25025 11-14-2010 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by AndeyHall (Post 9558559)
??I do have a signature??? Not sure if it has anything to do with me posting from my blackberry. But it's an 03 with 170k miles, EGR delete and straight puped. I have an insight I can chec for codes with, but I'm almost positive it won't show up anything. Because it wasn't yesterday when I scanned it after it was doing this.

That doesn't mean that you aren't having codes in the system. You really need something a little more involved then the Insight for code scanning.

Also, your siggy isn't showing up. It shouldn't have anything to do with the BlackBerry as it's all on your online profile and you obviously had to at one point sign in, so that should have posted it on your post unless you "unchecked" the box by "show signature".

Check for eletrical issues first and then move onto the mechanical ones.

AndeyHall 11-14-2010 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by tex25025 (Post 9558595)
That doesn't mean that you aren't having codes in the system. You really need something a little more involved then the Insight for code scanning.

Also, your siggy isn't showing up. It shouldn't have anything to do with the BlackBerry as it's all on your online profile and you obviously had to at one point sign in, so that should have posted it on your post unless you "unchecked" the box by "show signature".

Check for eletrical issues first and then move onto the mechanical ones.

I'm going to check on the sig thing as soon as I hit post.

But I've been in NC all weekend and just got home a little earlier today so I haven't hadn't had time to look at anything over the weekend. Anyways, when I got home today, I figured I'd try and crank it up and see what it did. It started up fine, and I let it idle for 5 minutes straight expecting it to start acting up at any minute. It never did. I drove it around the neighborhood a few times, then let it idle for 5 more minutes and still nothing. Drove it to work to pick up my new HID's that came FedEx while I was gone...never had any issues. So I don't know what the deal was Friday. Not sure if it was just a fluke thing or what.

But tex, the only reason I was suspecting mechanical issues was because it only had a partial issue before the new fuel filters, then after the new fuel filters it wouldn't stay cranked for more than 10 seconds. Just seemed like it had to be a mechanical issue. But I don't guess it really matters now unless it starts acting up again. Guess we'll see though.

AndeyHall 11-14-2010 10:22 PM

It must have something to do with posting mobile because my last post was from a computer and it shows my sig but the others were posted from the blackberry and they don't show it.