Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum51/)
-   -   problem with lifters...... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1006334-problem-with-lifters.html)

ragman69 11-01-2010 10:33 AM

problem with lifters......

just put in an edelbrock intake, carb,cam and lifter set, and ( headers ). after / during the break in , two lifters are not working, #7 exh and #8 intake. tech support at summit says the cam is to big for the stock rockers assembly. they say to use adjustable rockers or go smaller cam ??? possibly said the cam lobes wore down / caused lifter failure....:-banghead fkkkk what to do?? replace with next smaller cam??

Riderman 11-01-2010 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ragman69 (Post 9505303)
just put in an edelbrock intake, carb,cam and lifter set, and ( headers ). after / during the break in , two lifters are not working, #7 exh and #8 intake. tech support at summit says the cam is to big for the stock rockers assembly. they say to use adjustable rockers or go smaller cam ??? possibly said the cam lobes wore down / caused lifter failure....:-banghead fkkkk what to do?? replace with next smaller cam??

They (summit) are just plain wrong about the cam being to big for the stock rocker arm setup. I've ran several of these setups with the stock rockers\springs and such with no problems. The Elelbrock performer cam is mild.

With that being said, did you use the cam lubricant with something like "trick Flow" as an additive to add zink to your oil?

I didnt use an additive last year on my build and two cam lobes with associated lifters wore down to nothing. First time in my life that has happened.

ragman69 11-01-2010 09:58 PM

no,i did not use an additive.. this next time i sure will. the cam was the performer rpm plus.. this time useing the perfomer plus, less mild i guess. but ya, the two lifters were shot, and the two cam lobes shot also.
heard about the additive, but just thought wasnt needed . hard lesson to learn. edelbrock also said not to "pre pump " the lifters. whats the thoughts with that??

Riderman 11-02-2010 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by ragman69 (Post 9507884)
no,i did not use an additive.. this next time i sure will. the cam was the performer rpm plus.. this time useing the perfomer plus, less mild i guess. but ya, the two lifters were shot, and the two cam lobes shot also.
heard about the additive, but just thought wasnt needed . hard lesson to learn. edelbrock also said not to "pre pump " the lifters. whats the thoughts with that??

Use the additive next time. Also, on some cam's it's best to break them in using only one valve spring vrs the double spring. I will state that I've never had a problem breaking in a cam with the stock double valve spring setup.

My guess on not "pre-pumping" the lifters is hydraulic lock. I have installed lifters that when the ford rocker assembly was bolted down, it held open the valves due to the lifters not collapsing properly. I had to remove the lifters and collapse them with a piece of push rod in a vice. I then placed the lifters in a can of clean oil and re-installed them. I'm not saying that is what Eldelbrock is worried about, but it could be. To this day I make sure the lifter's collapse before I install them.

krewat 11-02-2010 11:20 AM

What do you mean "not working" - not going up and down? Or they aren't pumping up?

Check the oil and especially the oil filter - tear it open and see what's in it. If the lobes are gone, there's going to be a lot of metal circulating through the engine which is NOT good.

ragman69 11-02-2010 10:17 PM

ok,so.... #7 exh lifter shot ... # 8 intake lifter shot....cam does look ok...havent taken out yet.( no flat spot on top of lobe)....... who can suggest what to do????

replace cam??
replace only lifters???

did order new cam ( edelbrock performer plus)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(cam that is in -edelbrock performer rpm plus)
edelbrock performer 390intake
edelbrock 4 barrel carb
headers

on a ford 360 fe crate motor 5 years old -maybe 100 miles

krewat 11-03-2010 10:00 AM

Again, what do you mean "shot" - the bottom is worn ? If so, the cam is toast.