Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   2008 6.4L F350 Thermostat Replacement (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1005614-2008-6-4l-f350-thermostat-replacement.html)

CSM_Master 10-29-2010 11:13 PM

2008 6.4L F350 Thermostat Replacement

I know this is not a popular topic as I found only one thread in almost 3,000 and it simply stated that doing it is a PITA. However, I am determined, and in the absence of a Haynes Manual am turning to the Forum for help.

I am of the understanding that there are 2 thermostats in the cooling system, and that they may have 2 different temperature ratings. Where they are located, what additional parts / tools I may need to replace them is my biggest question. As I use my truck for work, I cannot afford to have it down while I hunt for parts, etc.

If you could please provide photos, they would help me immensely as I am not wholly familiar with the lingo used in this forum.

Thanks for your help!

senix 10-30-2010 07:23 AM

I don't really know the answers but yes there are two thermostats, one opens first at a lower temp setting.

I would assume they will be labeled when you buy them and if you note the differences you should be able to match them up upon taking the old ones out.

You should also replace the upper hose at the same time. Those are quick disconnect type hoses on there. Orginal ones only had one 0-ring for sealing. New one has two o-rings.

114 ftlbs is there torque specs for the thermostat housing.

I am thinking that maybe you should inquire as to whether those bolts are a one time use as well.

CSM_Master 10-30-2010 09:19 PM

Thank you, Senix. Some helpful tips prior to diving in. I had never considered "one time use" bolts. Any idea what temp the thermostats would be rated for? When I visited the AM supplier, they only had one type listed in their system for this model.

Thanks for your help.

senix 10-31-2010 06:36 AM

try Ed at www.partsguyed.com, sponsor of this site. He will know.

stevestroke01 10-31-2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 9498087)
I don't really know the answers but yes there are two thermostats, one opens first at a lower temp setting.

I would assume they will be labeled when you buy them and if you note the differences you should be able to match them up upon taking the old ones out.

You should also replace the upper hose at the same time. Those are quick disconnect type hoses on there. Orginal ones only had one 0-ring for sealing. New one has two o-rings.

114 ftlbs is there torque specs for the thermostat housing.

I am thinking that maybe you should inquire as to whether those bolts are a one time use as well.

That torque spec should be 114 lbf/in or 13Nm. :-drink

CSM_Master 10-31-2010 04:23 PM

Thanks to both of you. I'll be certain to check the link out.

Tom 10-31-2010 06:30 PM

You are out of your 100,000 mile engine warranty?

CSM_Master 11-01-2010 01:56 AM

Hi Crazy001. Yes, I am well beyond the warranty mileage.

BASSHUNTER 11-01-2010 03:24 PM

Good call on the upper rad hose! I was just on a 1000 mile trip and mine started leaking antifreeze everywhere.Got a new one replaced(Not under 36000 mile warranty dammit) The service Mgr advised me of the new 2 oring hose assy,said he hasn't seen one of the new hoses leak yet but has had alot of the other ones go bad.

CSM_Master 11-01-2010 10:55 PM

Hi All,

I already replaced the upper hose. The gasket melted and started to leak while I was traveling through phoenix in 100+F while towing my travel trailer. Only thing to go wrong on the truck during a 16,000 mile road trip!

Does anyone know where the thermostats are located, and how to replace them? Again, pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

TIRE FRYER 11-02-2010 01:58 AM

I also had the upper hose leak(seep) on mine. Only noticed it when I went under the truck to look. Also found a new tsb ford has about hyperextended thermostats. They claim that builds up pressure and causes the radiator to leak. Probably the answer to all of our radiator problems.

harris2108 11-03-2010 10:55 PM

T-stat Removal

I removed the upper radiator hose and EGR cooler to get them. If I remember right the T-Stats are shaped differently so that you can't get them mixed up.
For sure an SOB, took me 5 hrs and 3 or 4 bloody knuckles.

koboss1 11-04-2010 07:53 AM

Send me your email and I will send u picks I have 6.4 on a crate in my shop easy to see

durbs21313 03-05-2014 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by koboss1 (Post 9517484)
Send me your email and I will send u picks I have 6.4 on a crate in my shop easy to see

Andrewdurbin29@gmail.com

rjlabonte 03-05-2014 12:27 PM

Try these links.

You can search further and probably find exactly what you are looking for. Good luck, let us know what you find and how it goes.