Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/)
-   -   Auxillary Transmission Cooler (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004253-auxillary-transmission-cooler.html)

ducktang 10-25-2010 07:52 AM

Auxillary Transmission Cooler

I have searched the threads and need a couple of questions answered:
It looks like the aux cooler needs to be in line after it comes out of the radiator. I also read that if you mount it to the a/c condenser with those zip ties, it heats up the fluid more than it is cooled. If you don't mount it to the condenser, you won't get much help when idling or moving slow, pulling air over the cooler with the engine fan. So, those of you with them mounted, what works best for you? I'd like to mount one close enough to the condenser to let the engine fan help. Should I mount it directly next to it or stand it off with some spacers maybe an inch or so? Thoughts?

jim henderson 10-25-2010 01:07 PM

The factory cooler on my 94 F250 is mounted on a vertical strut at the front of the engine bay. It is in front of all the coolers and is about 4 inches ahead of them. It gets air from road speed or air pulled thru the grille by the fan

All the aftermarket coolers I have installed(3 or 4) were mounted in front of all the other coolers and usually had some sort of spacer/cushion to allow maybe an inch at best of air gap between the tranny cooler and all the rest.

Hope that helps some.

Jim Henderson

ducktang 10-25-2010 02:27 PM

What would you use for a spacer? Small wood blocks?

rclarke 10-25-2010 08:49 PM

Any non-heat conducting material will work. I used to pull the grill on some models and mount the cooler on the back of the grill with fabricated brackets. Makes several inches of clearance.

stuart1 10-26-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ducktang (Post 9480790)
What would you use for a spacer? Small wood blocks?

No.
Wood or any hard material will result in either the rad or cooler having a hole rubbed through.

Use a softer material.

Or tie it off with some form of strap away from the rad or condensor.

ducktang 10-26-2010 12:26 PM

I am going to try some of the semi-hard black high density foam insulation that you get at the hardware store to wrap your water pipes and see how that works.

jim henderson 10-26-2010 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ducktang (Post 9484291)
I am going to try some of the semi-hard black high density foam insulation that you get at the hardware store to wrap your water pipes and see how that works.

Yeah, that is what came with the kits I have installed. The foam blocks were maybe 1.5x1x1 and had sticky stuff on them to hold them in place while you mounted the cooler with zip ties or some other plastic hold downs.

The foam has to be stiff enough to keep from compressing but soft enough to not damage the fins of the coolers.

I always worried that the foam or plastic ties would wear out due to heat and vibration. BUt, I never had a problem and sold those vehicles with many miles and years on them.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson