Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   fuel filter stuck beyond belief (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1002912-fuel-filter-stuck-beyond-belief.html)

thefnswits 10-20-2010 02:45 PM

fuel filter stuck beyond belief

alright the inline fuel filter on my 99 250 5.4 is stuck beyond belief. I broke 2 different types of release tools...now i have the angled plastc ones and they aren't working either. i don't really like the idea of hacksawing the filter ends off. Any ideas fellas?

thefnswits 10-20-2010 03:33 PM

bumpington?

redford 10-20-2010 03:47 PM

What tools did you use and what did you do with them?

thefnswits 10-20-2010 03:54 PM

i used the retainer clip release tools. the first was the plastic ring style that slides over the inlet/outlet nipple which I quickly broke. Next was scissor style aluminum ones and I broke them using a pair of pliers between the filter housing and the tool, trying to torque it into the fuel line to release it. Now i'm using the stupid angle ones and they're no better.

And yes, i used a piece of wire to clean out the inside and used the compressor to blow out the fittings.

Also used PB blaster a few times. Line spins freely, Im just ready to kill myself over this. Ive been using the 3/8' one and even tried the 5/16 to see if that would work. This filter probably has 20k miles on it and needs to be changed. right now the trucks sitting in my driveway with everything under it, waiting for me to fix it so It can get back into the field tomorrow. This is SO annoying

Zedrive 10-20-2010 08:43 PM

Try this. Put the disconnect tool in place at the release fitting. dont try to engage it thats the next move. Hold it snug and push the fuel line towards the filter allow the push to engage the tool. Hold the tool tight now and pull apart.
Good luck.

Joe Gore 10-20-2010 10:08 PM

I used the plastic one with no luck. they shouldnt even sell that junk. I got the alum sissor type my line is 5/16. 3/8 will not work. I put it against the fitting and pushed the hose against the tool and it came right off. hope this helps.

m350 10-21-2010 05:45 AM

I beleive my son's 97' F-350 has the similar filter setup,,,It was a pain to get dissconected,,,But finally after Pushing, pulling the line and tool together,,think I even had a pliers between the tool and filter for leverage,,,it seperated,,,,make sure the O-ring inside the fuel line end is still there,,,,his leaked like a cracked,,,P%$$ P,,,,well it leaked alot,,lol,,come to find out the O-ring came out in pcs,,,installed new one,,,Good after that !

AnnesLimo 02-18-2011 11:51 AM

same problem 95 E250

Engine forward line off rear to tank slides, spins but just won't pop! Anyone ever cut the FF tube and try to drill out? Reaching for some kind of solution...

BIGBEAR6 02-18-2011 12:43 PM

If I remember right you have to use metric clip releases the standard ones wont work.

brd7666 02-18-2011 01:32 PM

I bought a set similar to the set pictured here. I would of taken a picture of mine, but they are out on loan right now. 3/8 is the size I used, and from start to finish, it took less then 10 minutes. How would they get stuck on there like that?

https://www.frontiernet.net/~slray96...ectTool-01.JPG

TennesseeMustangPerf 02-18-2011 02:20 PM

The round plastic disc type is the only one I will use. The others are junk, and I have struggled many times trying to get them to work.

Spray a little PB Blast in the connector, let it sit a half an hour or so. Then install the round clip into the connector, push inward as you pull the hoses outward and the hose will disconnect and separate.

thefnswits 02-18-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by brd7666 (Post 9986089)
I bought a set similar to the set pictured here. I would of taken a picture of mine, but they are out on loan right now. 3/8 is the size I used, and from start to finish, it took less then 10 minutes. How would they get stuck on there like that?

http://www.frontiernet.net/%7Eslray9...ectTool-01.JPG

Brian, obviously yours is not a plow truck! i ended up getting it off but i have to buy the expensive chrome ones that were like 20 bucks. i broke 2 sets of the ones you had pictured. When your truck has beefy tires and you're pushing snow and kicking assloads of sand up under your truck, everything there is to disconnect under your truck becomes a total nightmare!

brd7666 02-18-2011 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by thefnswits (Post 9987063)
Brian, obviously yours is not a plow truck! i ended up getting it off but i have to buy the expensive chrome ones that were like 20 bucks. i broke 2 sets of the ones you had pictured. When your truck has beefy tires and you're pushing snow and kicking assloads of sand up under your truck, everything there is to disconnect under your truck becomes a total nightmare!

Glad to hear you got it. Yeah, you are right, my truck is a Florida truck. I don't know if it's ever even seen snow. Whenever I have someone work on it, they always comment on how clean it is. It seems like all that snow does, is ruins the cars and trucks one way or another.

BulletProof300 02-04-2019 08:22 PM

STUCK FUEL FTILTER? I've change the fuel filter on my '96 F150 a dozen times

Folks talk about this tool or that tool being the one to use to remove the quick connects on the Ford fuel filters. I have EVERY kind of removal tool and they ALL have worked at one time or the other. The teeth on quick connects are really easy to disengage. I have learned that sometimes there is a problem with the O-ring inside the connector sticking on the fuel filter tube. After various attempts using different types of tools and processes people think that it is the particular tool is the magic one the moment the stuck O-ring finally slides off. That's why there are so many opinions as to which tool is the best. It's not the tool.

Having said that, I do have a favorite one for a filter that is stuck on. Its the Assenmacher Specialty Tools 8012 Fuel Filter Remover Tool. It is metal, red in color and is the only one that has a rubber ban that holds the tool perfectly closed on the 5/16" tube of the fuel filter. This is an advantage if you have to wrestle a stuck fuel line using just your 2 hands.

So, here’s how I attack the stuck O-ring.

Relieve the pressure in the fuel system. I activate the inertia switch and start the engine until it dies. Then try to crank it a few more times.

Crawl under the truck with 1) a work light and 2) plenty of rags, 3) a flat blade screw driver, 4) your removal tool, 5) a ratchet with a 10mm socket, 6)a spray can of PB Blaster and a 6) spray can of carburetor cleaner.

Remove the front connector from the filter with the tool of your choice. The front connector is not usually the one that gets stuck, (the gasoline is filtered on that side of the filter). Remember to push the fuel line towards the filter before you engage the removal tool. Wait until most all the gas drains out. You might want to wait 10 minutes for the spilled gas to evaporate.

Use a 10mm socket and unbolt the fuel filter bracket with the filter still in it. On my ’96, there is very limited room to access the filter. On some models this might not be necessary. I unbolt the bracket so I can more easily push the fuel filter and line together as well as to be able to rotate the filter if it is stuck.

Push the line towards the filter and insert your tool. If the filter does not release after a few attempts, remove the tool and squirt carburetor cleaner into the quick connect opening. Grab the fuel line and filter and push and pull. There will be about 1/16” play. Continue spraying the cleaner and rotate the filter the best you can. Push and pull. After a few minutes, switch to PB Blaster. Push and pull. Now insert your tool and attempt a removal. If you can’t remove the filter within 20 minutes, STOP. i have spent hours trying to free a filter up. You have to WAIT OVERNIGHT. Spray carburetor cleaner into the quick connect one more time. It would be best not to reconnect the fuel line to the old filter and drive the truck unless you have to.

The next day spray the quick connection with PB Blaster, push in the line and use the removal tool. It should come off within a few attempts. If not, alternate spraying carburetor cleaner and PB Blaster and push and pull and rotate, insert the removal tool in and out. The line will just suddenly slip off like magic.

Don’t be too aggressive with the removal tool or by pulling on the fuel line. EASY does it. You can bend the quick connect’s teeth and then you will have to replace the fuel line connection.

The most important part is the use of the carburetor cleaner. It is specifically designed to remove sticky gunk from fuel system components and is key to freeing up the stuck O-ring. It WILL come off. Be patient.

Richard S 03-18-2019 02:49 PM

Both disconnects were stuck ~ I decided to cut the tank side tub off the filter ~ I was able to remove that side be twisting, puling and pushing a tool made from a Fineliner cap, then taking the filter off the support ( I took the support or too ) I was able to bring that end down where I could get at it and it could be twisted and pulled off the inner seal which was what was holding both sides ```

Shame on FOMOCO ```

I drove off the mountain yesterday ~ first time any distance with this 2001 Lariat F150 5.4 ~ it stopped running about 90 miles from the mountain ranch ~ called AAA to bring me and the truck back ~ at home I filled a hypo with gas and squirted it in where the tube from the crankcase breather enters behind the throttle body ~ started right ( didn't try to start it first ~ started right up and ran ~ shut it down ~ started right up couple times ~ drove and bought a fuel filter ~ after hell of a fight ~ installed the filter ~ cut the old filter can off ~ it was pretty bad ~ that could have been it ~ I'm not 100% convinced ~ but ```