Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   GAS TANKS !!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1000742-gas-tanks.html)

joewaldner 10-12-2010 09:43 PM

GAS TANKS !!!

I got a biiiiig hole in mine .... will one off a pickup truck fit?? from 87 to ... 91 ? or are they the same up to 96????

Encho 10-12-2010 09:58 PM

It will be way smaller than the original one, why don't you try to get a plastic one from JBG? or a junkyard?.

joewaldner 10-12-2010 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Encho (Post 9433008)
It will be way smaller than the original one, why don't you try to get a plastic one from JBG? or a junkyard?.

I have lots of parts, and little money lol.... otherwise I wouldn't have asked, and would have just bought a new one for 172bucks :)

g_k50 10-12-2010 11:55 PM

There's a picture of one in my garage. What happened to the skid plate?

g_k50 10-13-2010 12:15 AM

The bronco has a 32 gallon tank, all the trucks, vans or motorhomes with a aft of rear axle tank have smaller tanks. So you'd first have to find a vehicle with two tanks, then you'd have to modify the filler neck and the support straps/skid plate. Then the gas gauge might not read correctly.

Solving a problem by not fixing the problem while creating more problems is not in my mind fixing the problem.

joewaldner 10-13-2010 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by g_k50 (Post 9433392)
The bronco has a 32 gallon tank, all the trucks, vans or motorhomes with a aft of rear axle tank have smaller tanks. So you'd first have to find a vehicle with two tanks, then you'd have to modify the filler neck and the support straps/skid plate. Then the gas gauge might not read correctly.

Solving a problem by not fixing the problem while creating more problems is not in my mind fixing the problem.

all trucks have a back tank.... its the mid ship tank thats an option tank. looking at your pics the top of the tank is the same as a pickup.... just the bronco has a deeper one ..... therefor the filler hose and pump should just attach and plug in like normal ..... top straps should be in the same place, and all Id need is to take the straps that hold it up, off the truck I get the tank off of...... (skid plate rotted my tank out .... not going back on!! lol in my eyes it did more damage to it ..... )

helirich 10-13-2010 12:30 PM

Their all the same except the bronco is deeper. So just take a cut off wheel and slice off the bottom (with the rust) and do the same on a junkyard tank and then weld the good bottom on to your Bronco top.

Just kidding LOL.

joewaldner 10-13-2010 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by helirich (Post 9434833)
Their all the same except the bronco is deeper. So just take a cut off wheel and slice off the bottom (with the rust) and do the same on a junkyard tank and then weld the good bottom on to your Bronco top.

Just kidding LOL.

lol..........

ctch88 10-13-2010 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by helirich (Post 9434833)

Just kidding LOL.

Legit...as long as all the gas is out before you start welding.

American Thunder 10-14-2010 09:16 AM

Welding tanks is a pain, I'm not that steady of a welder.. heh
Now brazing, that I could do nicely.

p.s. Don't forget to wear a respirator or use a big fan, because the galvanizing is toxic as hell when you burn it.

joewaldner 10-15-2010 03:47 AM

bought a new one this morning..... installed and on the road again lol, thanks anyways guys