Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   Where to find used cargo vans? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/842937-where-to-find-used-cargo-vans.html)

glasstruck 04-18-2009 12:02 PM

Where to find used cargo vans?

I'm looking for a used 2000-2008 E-250/E-350 extended cargo van. Having a hard time finding low mileage candidates on the internet. Check ebay regularly. Any ideas or sites to view other than ebay? I live on Kauai so I'm not against traveling to see one. My criteria: extended van, swing cargo side doors, v-8, low mileage.
Don't want to buy one new. Also, I have a '06 E-350 diesel and love it. Thinking the only difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton is slightly less GVW. Are there other important differences such as better brakes, springs, etc?
Thanks for the help,
Jim

wiscvanman 04-18-2009 06:15 PM

WWW.TRUCKPAPER.COM

class 1-3
scroll down to the bottom or use the search for specifics.

longboardguy 04-19-2009 10:09 AM

Showroom

FAMVANS In fountain Valley, Ca. about 2 miles from me. These guys helped me out several times when i really needed it.
They do nothing but used vans, and van repairs.
If you see one there online you really like, I can drop by and inspect it for you.
-fisher

glasstruck 04-19-2009 11:23 AM

Thanks guys. Fisher, that's a kind offer, may take you up on that. I have found a van in Costa Mesa that I'm interested in so was thinking of flying over to check it out but we'll see. The van I'm interested in has a 3 month bumper to bumper warranty and has been inspected by a Ford dealer/shop. I've never bought a vehicle sight un-seen; a little wary.
Jim

Veetener 04-19-2009 07:21 PM

In San Jose, where we have direct flights from HNL (Hawaiian Air) there is a dealer on Monterey Rd, about 1 mile S of Curtner (two major roads) that has nothing but used vans. There must be hundred or so on about 2 acres. For some reason, they are *all* white.
They all look fairly new, so I'm sure there is something there for you.
Whatcha doing in Kauai? I assume you want to van for a business, right?
My wife is from Omao. Son, grandkids, and great grands live in Kapaa. In-laws live in Puhi, and Omao.
Wife grad. KHS, I grad. UHM.
Eddie
98 E350 Club Wagon 15-pass V-10
best damn vehicle in the world!

longboardguy 04-19-2009 10:33 PM

I am in Costa mesa. Just email me if you want me to look at it. gwfisher @ ca.rr. com.

85e150 04-20-2009 12:16 AM

Let me know if you lower your requirements a little. I'm in Pasadena Ca....

glasstruck 04-20-2009 10:07 AM

Thanks for the tips/help! Lived on Kauai since '87. We own a glass business and have 2 vans with glass racks, one van needs to be replaced (serious rust issues from previous scuba operation). Longboarder, that'd be great, I'll let you know. I want the seller to provide a price to outfit the van with the Quietflex plastic racks/bins (have those on my '06 and love 'em).
Veetener; do you know the name of that place with the used vans?
'85-----what do you mean by "lower your requirements a little?"

Thanks!
Jim

Club Wagon 04-20-2009 01:31 PM

Since it seems you expect to fly to buy & have the van shipped home, I'm surprised nobody suggested AutoTrader & TruckTrader.

HAB 04-20-2009 06:49 PM

Don't want to buy one new. Also, I have a '06 E-350 diesel and love it.
Jim[/quote]

I've got an 06 E-350 Diesel and of the 10 vans I've owned think its the best yet. Would love to find a 2000-2004 empty E350 Cargo just for a banger.:-X0A6

Veetener 04-20-2009 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by glasstruck (Post 7407727)
Thanks for the tips/help! Lived on Kauai since '87. We own a glass business and have 2 vans with glass racks, one van needs to be replaced (serious rust issues from previous scuba operation). Longboarder, that'd be great, I'll let you know. I want the seller to provide a price to outfit the van with the Quietflex plastic racks/bins (have those on my '06 and love 'em).
Veetener; do you know the name of that place with the used vans?
'85-----what do you mean by "lower your requirements a little?"

Thanks!
Jim

Jim, would you believe that I pass that business every weekday? I drive a transit bus and do a regular run that takes me from SJ to Gilroy. I've must have passed the van site a few thousand times. But I never paid attention to the name of the business.
Tomorrow, guaranteed, I'll check out the name.
I'll post it about this time.
EL

Hired Gun 04-21-2009 09:02 AM

By the time you figure in the cost of the flights, racks and bins, transportation to Kauai and the Ford incentives have you looked into buying a 2008 new. That would also get you the full warranty so you don't have to worry about repairs for at least 3 years. I would rather spend my money on a fresher van than airfare and transportation.

glasstruck 04-22-2009 11:49 AM

Thanks again guys; hired gun, how did you raise your van in the front?
Yeah, I thought about buying new but have found used 2004-2006 in the 11k range with low miles (E-250). That's way cheaper than new. Plus Ford does not have a 0% financing package right now and the new vans are uglier than sin (no offense!). Cannot believe they screwed up the front end like that.
Jim
Veetner----thanks for your help as well.

Hired Gun 04-22-2009 02:25 PM

Hi Jim,
I love the new front end. I waited an extra year to get mine so it wouldn't look like a 15 year old van the day I got it.

On the 08 Cargo they are offering 3,000 cash back or 0.00 for 60 months. 1.9 for 72 months. Ford Advantage Plan - New Car Financing & Payment Protection You Can Count On

It still doesn't beat 11,000 for a used one. That is really good.

The way I raised my van is is has a 3" body lift all around. I have 265/75/16 M/T tires on it. With the posi rear end it is about unstoppable. I love it other than the in town milage. 8.77 so far. It is getting better on each tank. I have 1,800 miles on it now. I just built a merged Y pipe for it. I hope that helps a bit. It had no affect on the sound or power that I can tell.

Shawn

glasstruck 04-23-2009 11:07 AM

Shawn, looks like my color: True Blue?? (L2 code)
I've got the same size Wranglers on my van, no lift, plus it's fairly loaded all the time so the front tires rub a little; thought the simple rubber/poly coil spring spacers would be ideal. Where did you find the stuff for the body lift? 8.77 sounds bad. My van (with 2 sided exterior aluminum glass racks, ladder rack with 4 ladders & tools inside, plus daily glass load--sometimes heavy, sometimes light--) gets from the 12's all the way to 16+ (without racks/ladders). Trying to improve with additives; Power Service Diesel Kleen doesn't seem to do anything so I just bought Ford's Motorcraft diesel additive. Thinking of totally freeing up the exhaust too.
Jim

Hired Gun 04-23-2009 12:27 PM

I don't know the particulars about the body lift. It was done as part of the modification process for the lowered floor. This work was done by Nor-Cal Mobility in Chico Ca. I'd imagine a body lift for an F series would be the same thing.

When I ordered the van I did order the front GAWR "one up" option to get heavier duty front coil springs.

On the hiway bringing it home it got right at 14mpg on our curvy hilly highway. The 8.77 is made up of mostly under one mile trips. I'm really looking to towing my 8000 pound enclosed race car trailer around this summer. That out to help break it in.