Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   What do you guys use your trucks for? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/601607-what-do-you-guys-use-your-trucks-for.html)

doug51f1 04-11-2007 06:59 PM

What do you guys use your trucks for?

I know we have "Show Trucks" and "Daily Drivers" and "Hot Rods" and "Rat Rods" and everything in between here. I just wonder what everyone actually does with their trucks (those of us that are fortunate enough to already have them on the road) Or what do you plan to use it for?
This is what I did two weeks ago (before the still unresolved valve issue I was talking about this week)
A little around the house landscape work:https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_100_1591.jpghttps://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_100_1592.jpg
Made 4 or 5 trips to pick up mulch from the side of the highway where a road is being widened and the mulch is free!

59flatbedford 04-11-2007 07:17 PM

well my 59 still shop clutter. but when it gets done it will be my daily driver for hauling parts for other parts, driveing to school(assuming i get it done before i gradute) and work. then the weekend crusing. i know my trucks gonna get scratched and dented but i built it to drive not look pretty in 10 years

Randy Jack 04-11-2007 07:22 PM

My 56 is a hot rod, daily driver, working truck and tow rig. I figure that's enough for it to do. I'd add more to the list, but I think that would make it amphibian. :-D

irondragon79 04-11-2007 07:23 PM

Hmm.. mine also is garage art at the moment.

B/B ford 04-11-2007 07:23 PM

Mine has already paid the price as a work truck. Now it is like a champion race horse put out to pasture.

I just like to go cruising in it and let it "run" once in awhile.

stewards68 04-11-2007 07:55 PM

Mine is presently making sure that my shop floor doesn't get too much sun. It'll be a really nice daily driver when I'm finished, though... Doubt it'll get a load of mulch in it, but who knows.

DonMckay 04-11-2007 07:57 PM

I will probably take in a few cruise nights and also take part in a few vintage auto shows.
It is getting real close now.
Don

packrat56 04-11-2007 08:19 PM

Drive her to work every day, haul junk, bikes, go karts...

HOTRODSURFER 04-11-2007 08:25 PM

mine is a hotrod,shop truck,stess releaver

TBucketJack 04-11-2007 08:37 PM

Its my daily driver and hauler. Wonder why the inside of the bed is all scratched up and its the lean'in post on cruis'in nites.

economan 04-11-2007 09:36 PM

SHOW & GO!
my 58 merc panel is used for long haul trips to shows, and is equipped with bed, sink & icebox, and of coarse a lighter plug in back fo rthe tv/vcr combo, it also has a "shady boy" brand awning originally desiged for westfalias which provides great shade @ shows this is attached onto rivnuts and thumbscrews on the roof also coming this year will be a few more rivnuts on the roof for a set of roofracks which will hold our kayaks & mountain bikes. this truck has been built with a major trip in mind which is out west to BC down the west coast to cali, then back home on route 66, hopefully this will take place in the summer of 09.
my other truck (64 econo) is also built for show & go
it was our main truck two summers ago when we built our new home which was unfortunately only 2 yrs after a major rebuild needless to say with the wear & tear of all that hauling left it's share of scars which will require a complete repaint over the next winter or so... also gotta awful bearing noise in the rearend incurred by bringing massive loads of hardwood flooring and ceramic ties from the city.
it also often gets loaded up with our whitewater kayak gear and takes us into some pretty wicked put in and take out roads, thank goodness for pressure washers and acrylic urethane enamel
iffin' it gets scratched up goin in narrow bushroads it easily machine polishes up again, and is ready by the next weekend to show
can ever see me becoming one of those people who won't take a vehice out if there is even a hint of ran in the air or to a show and right back directly into the garage again following a complete clean & detail, these are trucks....built ford tuff and seem to take any abuse i can throw at em......ain't nuthin can't be fixed replaced when needed to.

mikie
near ottawa canada
58 merc panel 64 econo p/u

jimhackney 04-11-2007 09:46 PM

Use of Truck

I've only had mine 3 months, and most of that a-- deep in snow, but I plan for the following:
Physical Fitness Machine(working on it, improving it, shining it up, etc.)
Toolin around town on pretty days
Memorial Day Parade
Going to shows, swap meets
Excess cash eliminator
Hauling an occasional load of firewood

Snowking 04-11-2007 10:00 PM

Mine do everything they were made to do, and then some, at the end of the day they'll get there attention but they were made to work, with afresh coat of paint or not, I don't need a garage queen taking up space.

53fatfndr 04-11-2007 10:25 PM

Hot Rod, it's for cruising :)

azls1 04-11-2007 10:57 PM

My 53 is my daily driver.

59flatbedford 04-11-2007 11:09 PM

love your signiture snowking. couldnt agree more but alas my truck is getting p/b p/s and front disks. some day im gonna have a bare bone stock one though.

White_Knuckles 04-12-2007 12:58 AM

Mine keeps the weeds from growing underneath it, but will be my hauler for all the crap I need it for, moving motorcycles, and hauling bed-fulls of dumb teenagers around. I will have to add it is quite the exercise to build upper-body strength parallel parking the thing.

Fomoko1 04-12-2007 01:30 AM

Mine is shop cluter too but now in mostly one corner as it`s slowly coming together.

Brian_B 04-12-2007 02:38 AM

Mine is a lawn ornament for now. Eventually, it will be a truck again. Towing, hauling, driving. Not necessarily a daily driver, but maybe every other day. My other vehicle is an explorer...not made for hauling big stuff.

Col Flashman 04-12-2007 02:38 AM

Daily driver, a little Hauling/Towing, somtimes Tick-off a Ricer/other driver 'cause they can't catch me! Rather! :-missingt :-X22 :-headbang

55 f350 04-12-2007 03:18 AM

the 55 is as it has been for 3years garage art, or as some of my neighbors put it an eyesore . when its done , and they never are , i'm gonna drive the wheels off of it. as far as work ,nope got a late model pick em up to do that , or maybe i'll just dump that load of mulch in her pt convertible as i think it's ugly and a pain in my posterior.

Huntsman 04-12-2007 06:54 AM

My will be my retirement boat hauler...presently use it to hold my battery charger.

mechmagcn 04-12-2007 07:22 AM

Right now my 53 is a driveway ornament(has been for 4 years), but "Someday"(there's that word again) it'll be my daily driver.

bobbytnm 04-12-2007 08:37 AM

My truck is a multi-purpose vehicle;
Its a great stress releiver, I can go out in the shop and get lost in a project and let the little everyday problems slip away....
Its a great stress amplifier, I can go out in the shop and get completely overwhelmed with the amount of work, how to do the work, where to get the money, how to make the part that I need, etc, etc, etc
My truck is also a huge learning tool. I don't like to farm work out so I'm trying my hand at doing everything. Its a big learning curve, things aren't coming out perfect but they are moving along.
My truck will be a quasi driver. I am blessed with a new Ford truck for a work truck that comes with free fuel so I don't need to drive mine everday. So, I drive it occasionally and burn some rubber.

Prior to last week I never put anything in the bed. I wasn't worried about scratches, I just didn't have a bed floor. Now I have a bedfloor I will use the truck as a truck.....(haul my ice chest)

Bobby

Scott123 04-12-2007 08:48 AM

My F1 is my semi-daily driver, it shares hauling-my-butt-around duties with my fastback. It sees it's share of rain/sleet/snow/sun but I'm still trying to keep it looking nice for the occasional show and shine...that season is starting this weekend with a cruise in at the 63 Diner, Sunday in Columbia MO, if anyone is passing through drop in.

grover 04-12-2007 09:54 AM

Here lately my truck has been getting used a lot to get me to school and back, and it's been doing a great job of it. :-D Otherwise, my truck is used for what God and Henry Ford meant it to be used for, so you can never tell what might be in the bed of the truck at any time.

Oh, and the tailgate makes a handy workbench when I'm working on one of my other cars. :-X10

ilovegamesandcars 04-12-2007 10:18 AM

After reading what all you guys wrote it sounds just like you hit exactly what my '60 is for except for one thing:

1) Daily Driver - Even though my clutch needs adjusting.

2) Education - I want to learn everything about old cars and do everything myself,
with help. And do that all while driving her everyday.

3) Haul - So far it's done everything from rocks, ATV's, and even playground sets.

4) Look Good - But mostly I love the look of other guys seeing this little girl behind this
big ol' thing.

ncarr 04-12-2007 10:38 AM

Take my 55 to cruse nights and car shows, Put on about a 1000mi. a year.I do some running around town but don't park it out of my sight.

mtflat 04-12-2007 10:40 AM

Pics in my gallery of some of the uses and abuses my 48 goes thru.

The 52 is mostly a driveway ornament for now.

imlowr2 04-12-2007 11:06 AM

I use mine to scare off Chevy's LOL.....

GreatNorthWoods 04-12-2007 11:45 AM

It's funny how your ideas change as you near completion. Mine is still a garage ornament but when I do get it finished I plan to drive it occasionally into town for fun and to some car shows (although it's not show quality) and even some cruise-ins. My original plan was to use it as a daily driver and actually haul stuff in it but since I'm putting a nice red oak bed floor in it now that's out. I may carry a spare tire, some groceries, or a clean box of parts back there once in a while but that's it. :)

sgtrwg 04-12-2007 12:50 PM

I use my 53 and the 78 as work trucks, hauling wood, mulch, trash etc. The 53 is in the process of getting a new drivers side window and some rust repair on the front fenders right now, not sure when it will be back on the road but it will continue to be a work/daily driver truck.

Ain't life wonderful!!!!:-wink

Bob G

ALBUQ F-1 04-12-2007 01:01 PM

I went to Lowe's last Saturday to pick up some stuff, and there was a guy loading up a show-quality stock restored early '50's Chevy pickup, absolutely gorgeous, in front of the store. Cream white with red accents. No one who went by it didn't stop to look. He had lumber, bags of fertilizer, etc in the bed. I thought to myself, Why not? Let's face it, you can buy a truck like that for maybe $15k off eBay, what kind of modern truck can you buy for that much and get even a second glance? And what fun would it be?

Are any of us seriously worried about wearing out one of our trucks?! They are incredibly tough beasts. If you scratch up the oak floor, you can replace it if it bothers you. I purposely did not buy a new bed and made my own boards out of birch plywood ($35 a sheet) so I can use it and not feel bad about it. After this weekend I initend to start driving it to work at least once a week, using it for errands, etc. No, I won't be throwing an engine block in the back, oozing fluids all over, or hauling manure, but I damn sure intend to use it as a truck!

ksmith203 04-12-2007 01:15 PM

I am going to drive mine around town. I will drive it to the car show which is in front of my restaurant every fathers day weekend. We draw over a 100,000 people a year to it. I will have to let one of my friends watch it because I run the beer garden that day. I will use the proceeds from that to help high school sports. We are big on high school football around here. My dad said to put the logo on the drivers and passenger door and on the front part of the wrecker put "We're pulling for you". I thought that was neat idea. Mine is not show quality, but we have a car show every saturday night here in town after the first big one. I will take it there a couple of times. Mine is more of a hobby of love. I relax and get time to myself while working on it. Now my dad has taken to it so I spend some quality time with him. That's what I have my truck for more than anything, to spend time with my dad. He is the one who got me hooked on these old trucks.

SCD 04-12-2007 02:16 PM

I use my 56 to hold down the concrete slab on the side of the house.
Scott

fatfords 04-12-2007 03:13 PM

Mine is a shelter for homeless spiders.
Eventually, I plan to drive it regularly (probably not daily) to work.
If it turns out good enough, I may take it to a few local "cruise-ins".

doug51f1 04-12-2007 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=mtflat]Pics in my gallery of some of the uses and abuses my 48 goes thru.
QUOTE]
LOVE IT!!!

fordman102 04-12-2007 06:37 PM

Mine is also a yard ornament right now. Hopfully by next year I'll have her on the road. It won't be a work truck. Have the SD for that. I want her to be my cruiser.

RUSTY50F1 04-12-2007 06:38 PM

At this time mine is keeping the dust off the garage floor. But when it is back together. (maybe in a year or two) I plan on driving it every day. It will be my hotrod cruzzin fishing party truck. Someday. ......................RUSTY

primer85f150 04-12-2007 06:57 PM

the 51 is a lawn ornament and babysitter, ( keeps my 5 year old busy while doing yard work). the 85 is the mule and the ranger.... well its a ford at least.